Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can some one tell me whats wrong with my car ?

• 20-05-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

The other day i was driving along when out of no were i could not change gear

I pulled in turned of the engine was able to get in to gear no problem

So started the engine would not go in to gear on less i slammed it in to gear so now i have to slam it in to gear

I was thinking it was the clutch gone but if i have it in gear and put my foot on the clutch the car dosnt move when i take my foot off the clutch the car will move

Is this the clutch cable gone lose or something or is it something big any help would be great

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Were you rude to Kitt by any chance Michael?

(kitt was incredibly camp wasn't he?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The other day i was driving along when out of no were i could not change gear

I pulled in turned of the engine was able to get in to gear no problem

So started the engine would not go in to gear on less i slammed it in to gear so now i have to slam it in to gear

I was thinking it was the clutch gone but if i have it in gear and put my foot on the clutch the car dosnt move when i take my foot off the clutch the car will move

Is this the clutch cable gone lose or something or is it something big any help would be great

:confused:

It sounds like kitts clutch is banjaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Sounds like the clutch is dragging - not disengaging fully. Possibly cable on the way out if cable operated, or problem with slave or master cylinder seals if hydraulic. If the cable inner is fraying and stretching then very shortly you will have no clutch at all.........

Could also be the clutch itself although they usually just slip when badly worn. Have seen a cases where the clutch plate or friction disc has broken up can caused the symptoms you mention.

Get a mechanic to take a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Could be fluid if its a hydraulic clutch.

Make / model OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

car is a 97 seat cordoba

Is there any way for me to tell if its the cable and will a mechanic charge me to look and it and tell me whats wrong as i don't have the cash for a clutch now and don't want to have to pay for someone to tell me what is wrong and them to do no work can they tell by just driving it for a min

Ps would this be covered as part of a warranty on a car if you had bought it from a garage and was still in warranty ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MKIII Golfs had severe problems with self adjusting clutch cables. Your Cordoba may have a similar cable. But certain 97 Cordobas have a hydraulic clutch. If you do have a cable then I'd be inclined to suspect the cable before digging at the clutch.

Try to pull away from standstill with the car in third - rev a little more than you usually would - if the engine stalls then the clutch is probably OK.

If the car is still under a used car guarantee, then yes, the cable should be covered. But if turns out to be the clutch then it may not be covered as it's a 'wear and tear' item. It will really depend on the guarantee that was offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

ok i found out what is wrong not sure if its a big job or what i have being told its the lever box any one no how big a job thi is and what kind of cash would you pay ???

Advertisement