Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Book

Options
  • 20-05-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Has anybody read "French Revolutions Cycling the Tour de France"? I just bought it on Amazon, looks a good read

Anyone recommend some other good cycling books. I have also read the Marco Pantini book which was very good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Tim Krabee, The Rider,its a short book about what goes on in the mind of this guy who's doing a one day race in provincial France,a great read.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've read French Revolutions and its a very, very funny book. Essentially it chronicles what happens when an ordinary Joe like you or me tries to ride the Tour de France. Not sure what was my favourite part, maybe his efforts at doping to get up Mont Ventoux or accidentally accusing a brother and sister of, ummm, 'unnatural' relations.

The Rider by Tim Krabbe is great, maybe the best cycling novel around. I've also got David Walsh's last book, From Lance to Landis, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Paul Kimmage's Rough Ride is essential reading of course for anyone who wants to know just how hard pro cycling is. I'd love to get my hand on Dino Buzzati's book about the '49 Giro battle between Coppi and Bartali, but it's out of print at the moment. Buzzati was a novelist as well as a journalist and wrote one of my favourite books, The Tartar Steppe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Your right the Kimmage book is essential reading,no glory there thats for sure,has anyone read the Bob Roll books,Bobke and i think theres a 2 as well,i hear they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Rough Ride is a class book, I didn't like the Pantani book though, it all got very messy and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I just got French Revolutions delivered yesterday. Looking forward to getting into it once I've finished Tim Parks' "Season with Verona".
    I also got Matt Seaton's collection of his guardian columns on cycling. His "Escape Artist" was a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

French Revolutions is a fantastic and hilarious read.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

Cyclecraft by John Franklin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

An old thread but I had to resurrect it to say thanks for the recommendations of The Rider.
    Read it on my holidays last week, brilliant, absorbing account of an amateur race in the 70s.
    Read it in 2 sittings and didn't want it to end. When it did I just wanted to jump on the bike.
    One of the best sports books I've ever read.

Advertisement