Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surveyor ?

• 20-05-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,

<snip>
    Is there anything i should be looking for when choosing a Surveyor.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Check his / her reputation and qualifications. Do they hold full Professional indemnity insurance. Check the fee for each type of Survey / Valuation and ensure you get the right. A detailed Structural Report - 11 pages & photos etc, can be expensive but is well worth considering. Chat to your Solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BCS

Is it a building surveyor or quantity surveyor you are looking for? Both should be registered with the SCS Society of Chartered Surveyors - contact the SCS for list or check the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

always get a surveyor through the SCS you have full back up that way. Im a junior QS and the trials we have to go through to become chartered are very tough so if you get one through the SCS, they will be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 penny123

Hi,
    Im intending to get quantity surveyor when i get planning permission, as a friend did this and says this saved her money when building. Intending to use builder to watertight,then use direct labour,if possible. will info received from surveyor assist when planning budget, will this show what quantity of any materials i need so I wont pay for items I dont need:D:confused: (totally green re building-desperate for any info)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A Quantity Surveyor will save you money. They can provide a detailed costing, called a "Bill of Quantities". This will list every single item required and will be expensive to produce.

A Q.S can also provide approximate quantities, with won't be as detailed, which will be reflected in the Q.S lower fee. This approximate quantity should be fine for a domestic house.

A Q.S may have a list of approved Sub-Contractors.

Usually any extra materials, can be returned if unused and in perfect condition. Check out your local hardware stores policy. Timber, sheeting, hinges etc can be returned. Bags of plaster can not be returned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement