Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭Water John

B and B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Road paver

Is there any update on when the preferred tender will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The standard stand still period is 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

The Kerry Slug that lives in Cork, mother of god :rolleyes:

The salt truck will deal with the Kerry slug :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    The salt truck will deal with the Kerry slug :rolleyes:

Better get on the phone to MH-R

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/government-approval-for-tender-for-macroom-bypass-has-not-been-granted-956020.html

I f**king knew the government would f**k us over again on this. I bet the funding will be reallocated to the children's hospital.

cillo2000 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/government-approval-for-tender-for-macroom-bypass-has-not-been-granted-956020.html

I f**king knew the government would f**k us over again on this. I bet the funding will be reallocated to the children's hospital.

Fine Gael out! Even with Simon Coveney in the No.2 position in government he still does sod all for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Fine Gael out! Even with Simon Coveney in the No.2 position in government he still does sod all for us.

You'd think between Coveney and Creed they'd have gotten this over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

It's in the official budget report that it is starting before the end of 2019, just needs rubber stamping by government. That's a nonsense piece by the examiner.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Coveney, the M28 should be his baby considering he lives in Carrigaline, i'm more surprised at Creed considering he lives in Macroom. These boys will lose votes next May as a result. Throw the M20 and Dunkettle into the mix things are terrible on Cork road building projects.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is a baseless overreaction with no supporting evidence.

I posted this in the N5 thread, which I have tailored for this thread:

This is my view of what's happening at the minute:

Jons/Craddock have won the procurement process with submission to Government by DTTAS for Cabinet approval whenever the alcatel period is complete
    Cabinet to approve award of contract
    Sod turning ceremony + contractors move in

Notes:
    1. This project (along with the N5) are specifically mentioned in the Budget document as priorities for land transport investment in 2020. The project is not in question, no matter what Danny Healy Rae's opinion is. The Kilcummin Sewage project has nothing to do with the N22 scheme.
    2. Shane Ross has form at this stage for not being particularly expeditious in bringing projects to Cabinet for approval.
    3. Both the N5 and N22 have Senior cabinet members championing these projects (Michael Ring + Michael Creed) who will not let them be delayed too much.
    4. The Budget has likely soaked up most of the political energy at the minute.
    5. There is a third project (M21 for Cabinet approval to proceed to ABP + publish EIS/motorway order) which is also to be brought for Cabinet approval this month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also, Simon Coveney is the Minister for Foreign Affairs during the most busy time for that Department in a lifetime. It's not surprising he doesn't have time to dedicate to project management of motorways in either his constituency or county.

The two Cork constituencies (North Central/South Central) have 1 TD between them (not counting the absentee) in Government who happens to be the Minister for the Department that's busiest at present. Motorways are not important in that consideration.

Thankfully we have Creed to deliver the N22 scheme.

marno21 wrote: »
    Also, Simon Coveney is the Minister for Foreign Affairs during the most busy time for that Department in a lifetime. It's not surprising he doesn't have time to dedicate to project management of motorways in either his constituency or county.

The two Cork constituencies (North Central/South Central) have 1 TD between them (not counting the absentee) in Government who happens to be the Minister for the Department that's busiest at present. Motorways are not important in that consideration.

Thankfully we have Creed to deliver the N22 scheme.

Whether my tweet is written correctly or incorrectly, done before i had seen your posts, i hope Creed will come out of the woodwork in Leinster House and deny it all.

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/1182022828369076224

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

As pointed out by marno21, the Budget Expenditure report released yesterday states:

"Following Government approval construction is due to commence before the end of 2019 on the N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom in Cork and the N5 Wesport (sic) to Turlough in Mayo."

The cabinet delay has to be more of Shane Ross' general incompetence or else some govt PR guru holding on a nice double announcement for both N5 and N22. It is far too good of a regional investment story to be lost in the Brexit news cycle pre EU Council. The week of Mon 21st Oct would be a far better time politically for some good news out of Govt buildings, depending on Brexit developments. Hopefully they won't decide to hold off until after 31 Oct. Infuriating that KO on vital projects like this being held up for political reasons. Hope I'm wrong and the announcement(s) come sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Something stinks if this one gets put on the long finger. Like the government has a vendetta against Cork. Never seen anything like it.

Minister Creed on Facebook today:

“Budget 2020 Macroom Bypass Update:

In reaction to some misinformation I'm aware of on the N22 Bypass it is worth noting this weeks Department of Transport Budget Report:

Progress some major Project Ireland 2040 roads projects including:...
    - Ballyvourney to Macroom Upgrade Scheme”

More than a bit vague and highly non-committal for a 2019 start. On 15 August, his FB page was trumpeting TII requesting Cabinet approval in Sep and the Minister looking forward to progressing same in “the coming weeks”. Today’s post sounds like the foot has come off the gas, not even a reference to Cabinet approval.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If this gets put on the backburner again, idk...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

If this gets put on the backburner again, idk...

If it gets pushed back again it's time for a very large, very public protest.

N5 Westport-Turlough received Cabinet approval today. N22 overlooked AGAIN, even if it is just a staggering of announcements. But just exactly how useless is Michael Creed?? Michael Ring is quite literally killing him in Cabinet.

• Advertisement

imangry29 wrote: »
    N5 Westport-Turlough received Cabinet approval today. N22 overlooked AGAIN, even if it is just a staggering of announcements. But just exactly how useless is Michael Creed?? Michael Ring is quite literally killing him in Cabinet.

Whatever about Creed, Coveney is the No.2 of government and is as useless.

Lads, can ye please calm down a little. I say that as someone who is absolutely desperate for work to start on this road as I use it 3/4 times a week.

The project is to be approved by Cabinet in October. This was confirmed 2 weeks ago by Leo. It's very likely that it'll be approved next week unless something has come up that is a valid reason to delay it.

A far bigger issue I would take is why the Prime Minister of a country had to come out and hold a press conference today about an infrastructure project that's hardly major in the grand scheme of things. A half competent country would be doing 5/6 of these a year and not waving their willy around about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

not waving their willy around about it.
    :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A far bigger issue I would take is why the Prime Minister of a country had to come out and hold a press conference today about an infrastructure project that's hardly major in the grand scheme of things. A half competent country would be doing 5/6 of these a year and not waving their willy around about it.

Because of the Healy Rae type morons of this world and the vast amount of imbeciles who vote for them, nearly every other Irish politician feels the need to descend to their level in the gutter to compete for votes.

Quackster wrote: »
    Because of the Healy Rae type morons of this world and the vast amount of imbeciles who vote for them, nearly every other Irish politician feels the need to descend to their level in the gutter to compete for votes.

Give it another generation or so and the Healy-Rae's will have enough to form a coalition government. I know that MH-R wants this road done as much as any of us in the interests of Kerry, he also said something about that bloody slug.

Quackster wrote: »
    Even with that, this lark started in the last year or so. I don't recall this many PR stunts for mid size road schemes in the past.

In saying that though, schemes like this N22 scheme and the N5 scheme are vast improvements on the size of schemes built in the past. Back in the FF roadbuilding days, there were few large schemes built apart from the inter urban motorways, the M18 and the Waterford bypass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In saying that though, schemes like this N22 scheme and the N5 scheme are vast improvements on the size of schemes built in the past. Back in the FF roadbuilding days, there were few large schemes built apart from the inter urban motorways, the M18 and the Waterford bypass.

What? Pretty much every scheme done between 2003-2010 (the FF years) was large.

spacetweek wrote: »

Don't forget the forgotten schemes in those years, this project and the M20

spacetweek wrote: »

Yes, I said apart from the interurbans and the M18 and Waterford bypass (and let me add the M3 too)

Back in the FF days, and before it, we didn’t see the level of ambition of 25km long grade separates schemes in rural Mayo and Cork. They are vastly better than the SC schemes (likely which would have roundabouts or at grade junctions).

It’s just a pity that the N4/N5/N22 schemes going ahead this year won’t be followed by similar schemes until 2022 at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Industry insiders says that the tender winners are known, but the start has been kicked back due to another budget overrun on the childrens hospital that won't be released until after Brexit is done.

Source works for one of the losing bidders

Advertisement