Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Industry insiders says that the tender winners are known, but the start has been kicked back due to another budget overrun on the childrens hospital that won't be released until after Brexit is done.

Source works for one of the losing bidders

Horrible if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Industry insiders says that the tender winners are known, but the start has been kicked back due to another budget overrun on the childrens hospital that won't be released until after Brexit is done.

Source works for one of the losing bidders

I call complete BS on this, it was committed to in the budget 8 days ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I call complete BS on this, it was committed to in the budget 8 days ago.

Varadkar also committed to it at a Construction conference 2 weeks ago.

That's aside from the terrible optics for FG leading into an election if they mess up yet another Cork project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

marno21 wrote: »
    Varadkar also committed to it at a Construction conference 2 weeks ago.

That's aside from the terrible optics for FG leading into an election if they mess up yet another Cork project.

It really benefits Kerry more than Cork people actually. But if it is delayed then it is an absolute disgrace.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

theguzman wrote: »
    It really benefits Kerry more than Cork people actually. But if it is delayed then it is an absolute disgrace.

Absolutely, but it’ll be spun as FG screwing Cork again, given the entire project is in Cork and it decongests two Cork towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really is an awful piece of boreen and sooner it goes the better. Drove it last month and didn’t find driving even at 80kmh at all comfortable. Horribly narrow, winding and dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Woohoo!!! Thankfully it was all just a staggering of announcements. Michael Creed has a video up on FB tonight with Cabinet memo in hand and Brendan Griffin has a post photographed beside a road sign on the N22, both confirming the go ahead. Will Shane, Leo and crew be out behind the green podiums again tomorrow? For entirely pedantic reasons, would love to know why the announcements (N5 and N22) came so differently and yet so close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

holdfast wrote:
    Anyone on the meeting from last friday in macroom on the bypass.I am one of those long suffering driver on that road to cork

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks Apogee. Great day for the region. There was a lot going on at the western tie in today, clearly finishing up advance works.

Bring on the diggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great news.

From TII website......
    The scheme includes 1 roundabout and 3 compact grade separated junctions.

what is a "compact" grade separated junction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

marno21 wrote: »
    Thanks Apogee. Great day for the region. There was a lot going on at the western tie in today, clearly finishing up advance works.

Bring on the diggers.

It’s great, a loooong time coming. The new pylons for the power line diversion at the western end growing upwards. With a good chunk of advance works out of the way, hopefully the heavy works will become visible within a short time. Examiner article talking about Macroom bypass opening ahead of the western section, would be great if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Apogee wrote: »

This is really fab news. So that's 500m euro in nearly 50 km of new roads announced in one week. Sorely needed for Cork after the Dunkettle and M28 setbacks. Can't wait to eventually drive through Macroom for the last time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Disappointing...

Once construction work starts, it is expected it will take three-and-a-half years to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

As a local resident & daily commuter to cork, I'm absolutely delighted to read this.

"But it is understood that the Macroom bypass section will be built and opened before the western section is completed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Just need to keep the ball rolling now with the outstanding road projects in Cork. This is very welcome news, if the project breaks ground before the next election Michael Creed is a banker to get back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

KOR101 wrote:
    Disappointing...

There's always one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Any idea as to where the first section will terminate? Carrigaphooca? Or to the Milstreet rd?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Disappointing...

Once construction work starts, it is expected it will take three-and-a-half years to complete.

We’ve always known that in fairness

The terrain around Ballyvourney and ground conditions in the area are far from ideal. It’s not a straightforward scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Where is the tie in to existing roads east of Macroom. Did I hear correctly those bad bends going into Macroom are not in the scheme?

Where is the tie in to existing roads east of Macroom. Did I hear correctly those bad bends going into Macroom are not in the scheme?

The tie in is roughly half way between Circle K and the first dodgy bridge, at Coolcower. The bad bends and 2 dodgy bridges are not part of the scheme, they’re part of the Macroom-Ovens scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm delighted with this.
    It'll make a big difference for me personally, and it'll make a big difference for the region also.

At the same time there's a bit of an elephant in the room, in terms of €500m for roads and "not enough money" for most of the sustainable transport initiatives in and around the city. Just saying...

In relation to the Macroom to Ovens stretch of road, does anyone know what they are doing around the Curahaly/Srelane area's with the road? looks like it is being widened or something, off the top of my head i think it's connected to the side road linking to Aherla.

Also, detailed image of the route for anyone interested

493131.jpg

In realation tot he Macroom to Ovens stretch of road, does anyone know what they are doing around the Curahaly/Srelane area's with the road? looks like it is being widened or something, off the top of my head i think it's connected tot he side road linking to Aherla.

That's just beside Srelane Cross, they are relaying Casey's Road and widening the junction with the N22. That road is prone to flooding so they are also doing drainage works. I'm not sure how far back the work goes from the N22 but beside the N22 they have a lot done, the junction is much wider now.

There have been no works done on the N22 mainline (yet).

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Any idea as to where the first section will terminate? Carrigaphooca? Or to the Milstreet rd?
    Presumably Carrigaphooca. There would be havoc if you sent all that traffic down the Millstreet Road.

I'm delighted with this.
    It'll make a big difference for me personally, and it'll make a big difference for the region also.

At the same time there's a bit of an elephant in the room, in terms of €500m for roads and "not enough money" for most of the sustainable transport initiatives in and around the city. Just saying...

There's €200m for BusConnects, and funding for greenways. I will agree that it's not enough, but it won't be spent if people keep objecting to planned measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Kevwoody wrote: »
    There's always one!
    Previously it was said 3 years and before that there was speculation on here about 2.5 years.

Advertisement