Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KOR101 wrote: »
    Would there be a new exit for Ballyvourney? Hate to see the Abbey Hotel lose out. Always a favourite of mine.

Yes, there will be an exit on the Clondrohid road east of Ballymakeera and an exit where the scheme will terminate west of Ballyvourney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Coming from Cork, just before that petrol station, if you look to your left you can see the shape of the roundabout that’s going there fenced off. That’s where it’ll be starting.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time i pass
    No need - it's visible here, with the Circle K in the background.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    Great spot. I could only get July 2017 when I checked and that was before it was fenced. Thanks for posting.

Yes, there will be an exit on the Clondrohid road east of Ballymakeera and an exit where the scheme will terminate west of Ballyvourney
    Since you're the moderator 'round these parts, can you please post the link to your own attachment (here) in the first post and update the title accordingly?

I'd imagine a lot of people will want to be checking the map over the next couple of years ...

Since you're the moderator 'round these parts, can you please post the link to your own attachment (here) in the first post and update the title accordingly?

I'd imagine a lot of people will want to be checking the map over the next couple of years ...

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

God bless your eyesight, i wouldn't have spotted it. I'd have just said "Meh! that's a field for grazing cattle"

On a side note, i wonder how the home owner feels, were they a NIMBY initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sorry I wasn't at the meeting, though I've been on that road a few times myself, and I understand your pain, brother. The road around Ballyvourney is particularly shocking.

To make it even worse, I'd say the chances of this road being started before 2015 are pretty slim. Based on what I've been reading, and what people are saying in boards, any of these non-MIU, non ARC (and even the funding for that is waning) roads are being pushed out into the never never. If you see one sod turned on that road before the next election, I'll eat my (insert particularly tasting article of clothing in here).

The second post from this thread. Ah well, at least its happening now.

The second post from this thread. Ah well, at least its happening now.
    Holy Jesus! I can't believe I posted that 11 years ago! :eek: Where does the time go?

As you say, at least it's happening, and we're getting a good quality, won't-need-to-be-upgraded road here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Can you get on and off the bypass at Carrigaphooca from looking at the map you can see a roundabout there or is that only for local access roads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

It'll be fascinating to see the effect it has on local businesses in town, I'm thinking particularly the bigger ones like say the Castle Hotel. Initially I'd have thought it wouldn't be good for them, but would a place like the Castle really get much passing trade? I mean if you're stuck in traffic and looking for a place to eat you'd probably just say "f*ck it let's just keep going and eat in Mai Fitz/Cork instead"? The bypass may even help a place like the Castle, it might become more attractive for people staying and hiring out rental cars for a few days, town'll become much more accessible and easy to pass through. Might be completely wrong, just thinking out loud :)

My mother had a business in the town for years and used to speak about the resistance from other businesses to the bypass. She was always pro bypass on the basis that people would be more likely to stop, or come into the town in the first place if traffic was lighter. After all, most of the passing traffic is commuter traffic that won't stop regardless. There was a point that things were so bad that I used to shop in Douglas or Ballincollig on my way home rather than go through Macroom. I really do think it'll benefit the town hugely. I only live a few miles from the town and with the odd exception all I use is Dunne as it's a pain going anywhere else. I'd be far more inclined to shop there if it was quieter.

• Advertisement

Can you get on and off the bypass at Carrigaphooca from looking at the map you can see a roundabout there or is that only for local access roads?

From what more knowledgeable members have told me in the past there is no access at this point. So it effectively renders the bypass unusable to anyone from the Kilnamartyra/Reinaree/Ballingeary areas. So we get the construction but not the use of it.
    Now, on the other hand, if this junction is used to facilitate the connection of the Macroom section to the existing road for an advanced opening, is there a chance it may be retained? I have spoken to a number of people who are glad this junction does not exist because they feel it may lead to an increase in local crime as per the many places effected when the M* opened. Giving criminals an escape route.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

That's what I was thinking if the macroom section of the road is opened before the ballyvorney side then your not going to be bringing them diwn from the roundabout at gurteenroe to the milstreet Cross.

Carrigaphooca layout attached. No mainline access as was said above

493648.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Holy Jesus! I can't believe I posted that 11 years ago! :eek: Where does the time go?

As you say, at least it's happening, and we're getting a good quality, won't-need-to-be-upgraded road here now.

Do you remember back in the 2000s when everyone here used to bang on about MIUs all the time? :)

Carrigaphooca layout attached. No mainline access as was said above

493648.jpg

Thanks for the attached layout! So am I correct in saying that the old N22 will now be renamed the R608? And it'll now be realigned into a roundabout at the start of the straight?

Thanks,
    Dave

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Thanks for the attached layout! So am I correct in saying that the old N22 will now be renamed the R608? And it'll now be realigned into a roundabout at the start of the straight?

Thanks,
    Dave

The above layout is to avoid having 2 bridges for local roads to cross the N22, so the Carrigaphooca North road will meet the old N22 at the roundabout and the old N22 will continue towards Macroom

It looks like Cork County Council will redesignate the old N22 as the R608. The old N22 through Ballincollig is also the R608. Presumably in the future there will be one continuous R608 from Washington Street in Cork through to the county bounds when the N22 Macroom-Ovens scheme makes it over the line.

The above layout is to avoid having 2 bridges for local roads to cross the N22, so the Carrigaphooca North road will meet the old N22 at the roundabout and the old N22 will continue towards Macroom

It looks like Cork County Council will redesignate the old N22 as the R608. The old N22 through Ballincollig is also the R608. Presumably in the future there will be one continuous R608 from Washington Street in Cork through to the county bounds when the N22 Macroom-Ovens scheme makes it over the line.

So the current R608 ends at where the Lakewood Sports Complex is? This is adjacent to what i still call John A. Woods where the road since 2004 swings up left along the flyover.

So the current R608 ends at where the Lakewood Sports Complex is? This is adjacent to what i still call John A. Woods where the road since 2004 swings up left along the flyover.

It ends at the junction with the N22. The minor road down to Lakewood/Roadstone is a local road.

Whenever the N22 Macroom-Ovens gets going there will be a lot of shuffling required around there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It ends at the junction with the N22. The minor road down to Lakewood/Roadstone is a local road.

Whenever the N22 Macroom-Ovens gets going there will be a lot of shuffling required around there

That's probably 20 year's away!

Truckermal wrote: »
    That's probably 20 year's away!

If it took nearly 40 years to get to where we are then 20 years for Macroom to Ovens is ambitious.

• Advertisement

No posts in 4 weeks??

Anyway, contracts to be formally signed for this next Friday, the 29th. Presumably work will begin on site shortly after - early in the new year you would imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

€280m Road Development

Main contractors have been appointed for the construction of the €280m N22 Baile Bhuirne in a joint venture in Cork. Works are expected to commence in Q1 2020 and expected to take in the region of 40 months to complete.
    From today’s CIS bulletin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This is one road that I would prefer didn't take 40 months to complete but I suspect and really hope that it'll be completed quicker than that.

Either way it's long overdue to be started and great news that it is finally going ahead, must be an election in the wind.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

40 months to complete, but any idea if it'll open in phases?

I'd imagine the section around Macroom will open before the rest.

The most challenging elements of the scheme are around Ballyvourney, and they also have the least priority so I'd be optimistic of a 2 phase opening, with Macroom bypassed well before the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Traffic was backed out to the bridge beyond the petrol station this evening approaching Macroom from the Cork City side, this project can't come fast enough. I really think our apprach to infrastructure is a shambles, there would be nothing to stop this road being built in less than a year only throw enough men at it on round the clock shifts. ban all rock-breakers and just pile in tonnes of dynamite to blast whatever is needed. A road like this would be delivered in a fraction of the time in China or other countries. Everything here is designed for jobs for the boys to drag it out as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We do live in a democracy with property rights. If you want to throw the owners off all the nearby land and flatten a good few houses as well, then it could be done quicker.
    What are they saying? 3 years with Macroom bypass sooner. I'm fine with that. The build time is only 10% of the time we've waited for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

theguzman wrote: »
    A road like this would be delivered in a fraction of the time in China or other countries.

Yes, we could build things as fast as China. Their construction sites really show how to get things done. The workers do 12-hour shifts, live on-site in shipping containers stacked 2-3 high, wash every evening using a fire hose, and p1ss in buckets.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Yes, we could build things as fast as China. Their construction sites really show how to get things done. The workers do 12-hour shifts, live on-site in shipping containers stacked 2-3 high, wash every evening using a fire hose, and p1ss in buckets.

Brilliant. It won't be long before they start to balk at such inhumane conditions and demand better.

Advertisement