Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

spacetweek wrote: »
    Brilliant. It won't be long before they start to balk at such inhumane conditions and demand better.

And the Chinese already have a solution for that too - a quick trip to a "training centre" in Xinjiang to remind them how well they have it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

cantalach wrote: »
    Yes, we could build things as fast as China. Their construction sites really show how to get things done. The workers do 12-hour shifts, live on-site in shipping containers stacked 2-3 high, wash every evening using a fire hose, and p1ss in buckets.

Sounds like the conditions the Turkish workers endured building the Ballincollig bypass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Sounds like the conditions the Turkish workers endured building the Ballincollig bypass

Gama-Tubin were the contractor wasn’t it? Whatever became of them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

CCC didn't want them to get the contract but the price was keen. First major such project to come in on time and on budget.
    Gama-Tubin used a lot of workers. Low wages and slept in cabins. But they didn't have to work very hard. They just had a lot of bodies on the ground to do anything.
    A bit like the Irish in England in the 1950s, but who worked a lot harder.

Water John wrote: »
    CCC didn't want them to get the contract but the price was keen. First major such project to come in on time and on budget.
    Gama-Tubin used a lot of workers. Low wages and slept in cabins. But they didn't have to work very hard. They just had a lot of bodies on the ground to do anything.
    A bit like the Irish in England in the 1950s, but who worked a lot harder.

I never knew CCC were against it. I think the workers got reimbursed years later for their work. They built a fine road that has stood the test of time.

• Advertisement

Maybe they were afraid of the unknown. But before then every major project ran late and over budget.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jons site compound established now on the Millstreet Road with the first bits of plant after moving in.

Roll on the New Year

Not sure if affects this type of project but LAs tender contractors always get plant and materials on site before Christmas, to draw down funding from the current year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Not sure if affects this type of project but LAs tender contractors always get plant and materials on site before Christmas, to draw down funding from the current year.

Simply having plant on site isn't sufficient for getting paid, they get paid for doing work. A project like this funded directly from central government will have a dedicated reserved multi year budget, it won't come from a local authorities annual budget.

I am aware it's a national project of NRA. It may affect they're drawdown of DOE funds, don't know.

• Advertisement

I am aware it's a national project of NRA. It may affect they're drawdown of DOE funds, don't know.

There is no way they are paying the contractor to have plant sit on site, payments are valued based on actual works completed not just having plant there. It would be reckless to pay for plant sitting there as it is of no value to the client, no QS would do that, particularly on a high profile government job. Payments are made in arrears and any invoices to be paid this year would have to be already processed by now to have cleared for end of year. I also seriously doubt that the client would have encouraged the contractor to bring plant to site early and have it sitting for two weeks over Christmas as it then leaves them exposed if it were to be vandalised or stolen.

Which side of Macroom are they breaking ground on? By Circle K?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Passed Jons site earlier they have a serious amount of space. I wonder will they be working around the clock. With site on millstreet rd I wonder will they start there back towards circle k first to get the macroom section open first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

aisling86 wrote: »
    Passed Jons site earlier they have a serious amount of space. I wonder will they be working around the clock. With site on millstreet rd I wonder will they start there back towards circle k first to get the macroom section open first.

Where precisely is the site, by the way? Will be on the look out for it next time I travel that road.

Where precisely is the site, by the way? Will be on the look out for it next time I travel that road.

Between the social welfare office & the car garage all in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

With site on millstreet rd I wonder will they start there back towards circle k first to get the macroom section open first.

Would that be useful in real terms? All westbound traffic would have to go back down to the Millstreet Cross on the current N22 and then take a right there. Either that or go through Clondrohid. Neither an attractive option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Between the social welfare office & the car garage all in the back.

Oh! I travelled that road just today, I need to pay more attention :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My guess is that the section from Macroom East to where it crosses the old road at Carrigaphooca will be done first. Not just as far as Millstreet Road.

Millstreet Road is roughly halfway between the two though.

cantalach wrote: »
    Would that be useful in real terms? All westbound traffic would have to go back down to the Millstreet Cross on the current N22 and then take a right there. Either that or go through Clondrohid. Neither an attractive option.

Isn't that what will happen anyway because the only slip is on millstreet rd.
    Or do you not think they will open the macroom section first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Passed Jons site earlier they have a serious amount of space. I wonder will they be working around the clock.

Nope
    Jons are a steady outfit.
    No crazy hours. Unless the spring is awful and they get a dry spell then maybe 7 to 9

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There is no way they are paying the contractor to have plant sit on site, payments are valued based on actual works completed not just having plant there. It would be reckless to pay for plant sitting there as it is of no value to the client, no QS would do that, particularly on a high profile government job. Payments are made in arrears and any invoices to be paid this year would have to be already processed by now to have cleared for end of year. I also seriously doubt that the client would have encouraged the contractor to bring plant to site early and have it sitting for two weeks over Christmas as it then leaves them exposed if it were to be vandalised or stolen.

It's been done.
    You have a few elements to these funding streams
    There could be quite substantial mobilisation prelims. Monies could b ed accrued in department against 2019

However it's more likely Jons and Craddocks just want to hit the ground running. You need to get any trees knocked early in the new year before ecologists stop you.

A certain Minister would also like to have it active for Christmas.
    Delighted it's going ahead, at last.

A certain Minister would also like to have it active for Christmas.
    Delighted it's going ahead, at last.

I’d be surprised if this didn’t guarantee Creed his seat next summer.

It's been done.
    You have a few elements to these funding streams
    There could be quite substantial mobilisation prelims. Monies could b ed accrued in department against 2019

However it's more likely Jons and Craddocks just want to hit the ground running. You need to get any trees knocked early in the new year before ecologists stop you.

Mobilisation prelims is a different issue. The prelims items relating to mobilisation are identified separately in the BOQ and payment can be made against them. Bringing plant to site is completely different, it is not a measurable item. Plant costs are built into rates for work, unless the work is done you don't get paid for just having plant on site. Payments for 2019 will have had to be processed at this stage, payments from government departments don't just happen over night.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Mobilisation prelims is a different issue. The prelims items relating to mobilisation are identified separately in the BOQ and payment can be made against them. Bringing plant to site is completely different, it is not a measurable item. Plant costs are built into rates for work, unless the work is done you don't get paid for just having plant on site. Payments for 2019 will have had to be processed at this stage, payments from government departments don't just happen over night.

Nope but they can be accrued within the department against project. You'll get no money but that department will be very happy with you.

I'm doing it this week for a semi state. I'll stick the account in in January. But they want the money on their system against 2019 for mobilisation.

I am not saying this is the case here. Just that it happens.

FYI Jon's are not just bringing plant I know for a fact they loaded cabins and I'll be driving past Sloane yard in an hour be surprised if more not gone. They also have a bailey bridge gone in somewhere

Nope but they can be accrued within the department against project. You'll get no money but that department will be very happy with you.

I'm doing it this week for a semi state. I'll stick the account in in January. But they want the money on their system against 2019 for mobilisation.

I am not saying this is the case here. Just that it happens.

FYI Jon's are not just bringing plant I know for a fact they loaded cabins and I'll be driving past Sloane yard in an hour be surprised if more not gone. They also have a bailey bridge gone in somewhere

This project has an NDP allocation of €152m over the period 2018 - 22, getting a few quid accounted for this year doesn't make a difference to anything. And there is no value in simply having plant on site so it hasn't been put there just to get paid for it. Mobilisation is different.

Confirmation of tender award to Jons/Craddock JV

Price was €186m, quite different to the price mentione in press releases

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/225614

marno21 wrote: »
    Confirmation of tender award to Jons/Craddock JV

Price was €186m, quite different to the price mentione in press releases

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/225614
    I actually passed through Macroom yesterday, no signs of any machinery etc unless I’m looking in the wrong places.

Other posters here have said the proposed depot is out the Millstreet Rd. Will have a drive up there over the hols.

• Advertisement

Other posters here have said the proposed depot is out the Millstreet Rd. Will have a drive up there over the hols.

The one place I didn’t go. Any idea where they expect to break ground?

Advertisement