Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My hunch would be to work left and right off the Millsreet Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Number of tenders received:  4

The contract has been awarded to a group of economic operators :  yes

Interesting that only 4 tenders were received.

Also does the above mean than Jons was the lowest price? I had heard Wills Bros were lowest but Jons/Craddock were selected as their tender price was more "realistic"?

One of the posters here, said that too, Willis were the lowest. I think public tenders must be becoming more nuanced and weighted.
    Pricing this contract would have taken a lot of resources for any consortium.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

the procurement of the N5 Westport to Turlough and N22 Macroom used a different assessment methodology where the median price gained better marks than the lowested priced tenderer

Not referring to this contract at all, Willis are good, but it's about time something was done about always awarding public tenders to the cheapest. Really is a recipe for trouble. So many companies try to make their margin on the snag list or any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

Water John wrote: »
    Not referring to this contract at all, Willis are good, but it's about time something was done about always awarding public tenders to the cheapest. Really is a recipe for trouble. So many companies try to make their margin on the snag list or any changes.
    Not related to construction projects but I have seen public service tenders written with as little as 40% of the assessed criteria awarded for price alone, with the remaining 60% awarded for other advantageous criteria such as proven past performance, ISO certification, after sales support, etc.
    Hadn't heard of the median method but it's good to see that they are at least trying to get a good deal for the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think there is a facility to award a contract based on the median price. As part of the tender assessment, the tender prices can be adjusted based on rates for additional works/delays submitted with each tender. The ranking can change after that assessment so the initial lowest price may not be the preferred tender. There can also be other criteria to be assessed, such as methodology, programme, etc. which can be taken into account when determining the preferred tenderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Number of tenders received:  4

The contract has been awarded to a group of economic operators :  yes

Interesting that only 4 tenders were received.

Also does the above mean than Jons was the lowest price? I had heard Wills Bros were lowest but Jons/Craddock were selected as their tender price was more "realistic"?

Probably because they were the only 4 invited to tender.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cjpm

Probably because they were the only 4 invited to tender.

They would have had to prequalify

Yes prequalifying would have been used. I think they would hope for 5 to be in the final run, but then I wouldn't know of contracts this size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Any news on this? Has ground officially been broken yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

rounders wrote: »
    Any news on this? Has ground officially been broken yet?

I drove up the Millstreet Rd yesterday and couldn't see any sign of a site entrance. I would imagine, given the location of the compound, that they'll create access here and work out in both directions?

Election probably called this week. You'll see the site open.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

dmcsweeney wrote: »

I drove up the Millstreet Rd yesterday and couldn't see any sign of a site entrance. I would imagine, given the location of the compound, that they'll create access here and work out in both directions?

Its after the social welfare office and before Philip cross garage.

aisling86 wrote: »
    Its after the social welfare office and before Philip cross garage.

The site compound is set up there, but I'd imagine a site entrance will open up further up the road to access the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Water John wrote:
    Election probably called this week. You'll see the site open.

Do you really think Jons are sitting waiting on an election announcement?

I really hate this crap of "must be an election coming" every time a project is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I really hate this crap of "must be an election coming" every time a project is mentioned.

Well yes but .,..
    It's definitely a thing that any government of the day try to cram spending announcements in before an election ...
    I know the "must be an election coming line " is a bit Ott.. every one knows there'll be an election first half of 2020

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well yes but .,..
    every one knows there'll be an election first half quarter of 2020

I'd say this is more accurate given that Leo is getting jittery

Election will be announced in days as the VOC on Feb 5th would be lost.
    Large projects like this, speed up or slow down, depending on political pressure. Now that it's on its way, a visible presence would be welcome by the local Minister.
    That's the reality of politics.

Water John wrote: »
    Election will be announced in days as the VOC on Feb 5th would be lost.
    Large projects like this, speed up or slow down, depending on political pressure. Now that it's on its way, a visible presence would be welcome by the local Minister.
    That's the reality of politics.

If that's the plan they might start near the Coolavokig ambush site, clear a patch of ground for a black and tan commemoration :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If that's the plan they might start near the Coolavokig ambush site, clear a patch of ground for a black and tan commemoration :rolleyes:

I've no major problem with that ...(After all who won? )
    A bit of a difference between the tans and the RIC.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

If that's the plan they might start near the Coolavokig ambush site, clear a patch of ground for a black and tan commemoration

Not a bad idea. It is the decade of centenaries after all. The government is already paying tens of millions of euros for the road - it would cost next to nothing in addition to add a memorial to all those killed a century ago in those sad and troubled times, be they civilians, IRA, RIC, or anyone else.

Can't up to 1% of a road's budget be spent on accompanying cultural items (like the stag/unicorn a few kilometres further down the N22 over the county bounds)? Such a memorial would be a good use of those funds for this project.

Does anyone know if artwork has already been commissioned for the bypass?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I doubt the contractors will be partaking, but given the trends this Government have shown I'd expect some fairly prominent signage along the route over the next few weeks showing off the scheme. Brendan Griffin had signs up about the project in 2015 before the last election, and that was well before any diggers were near the scene.

Picture-41.png

marno21 wrote: »
    I doubt the contractors will be partaking, but given the trends this Government have shown I'd expect some fairly prominent signage along the route over the next few weeks showing off the scheme. Brendan Griffin had signs up about the project in 2015 before the last election, and that was well before any diggers were near the scene.

Picture-41.png

Kerry/Cork road? seriously? the entire road is in Cork unless i'm losing track of myself. Still anxiously awaiting news of diggers turning up to break ground.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry/Cork road? seriously? the entire road is in Cork unless i'm losing track of myself. Still anxiously awaiting news of diggers turning up to break ground.

Yes but he’s a TD for Kerry and the signage is in Kerry so he’s referring to it as the “Kerry-Cork road”

March for full construction works to begin is what I’ve heard locally. Contracts are signed and plant is being moved in so no need for any anxiety at all as far as I can see.

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes but he’s a TD for Kerry and the signage is in Kerry so he’s referring to it as the “Kerry-Cork road”

March for full construction works to begin is what I’ve heard locally. Contracts are signed and plant is being moved in so no need for any anxiety at all as far as I can see.

What he's doing is trying to take credit for something that isn't even in his constituency so, Healy-Rae said something similar a while back. March it will all begin? Great! looking forward to it :) I wonder how many eagerly awaited Cork road projects will be underway/completed by the end of this decade, if FG get back in i won't hold my breath, they are more uptight with funds than FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Public Meeting next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why is he wearing a helmet?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement