Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

marno21 wrote: »
    First evidence of works in place now at the Sullane Bridge on the R618 near the Mill. 50km/h limit in place, goal posts erected on the road near the power lines that cross the route, site cabin in place directly beside the road and a lone digger in place.

There's also VMS on the Mill Road at the Mill where the new N22 will cross the Mill Road, presumably advance warning of a lengthy closure on the way.

It was too dark for pics when I passed but I'll get some the next time I pass.

As a resident the mill road is my escape route for getting to and from work and back to the school collection. Dreading the next few months but it will be worth it. Just need to find new back roads!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

aisling86 wrote: »
    As a resident the mill road is my escape route for getting to and from work and back to the school collection. Dreading the next few months but it will be worth it. Just need to find new back roads!
    As someone who uses the Mill Road constantly, I had the same thought when I saw the VMS! There is the diversion around the south of the town but it's far lengthier and worse roads

I could see the Mill Road being closed for 12 months unfortunately.

As someone who uses the Mill Road constantly, I had the same thought when I saw the VMS! There is the diversion around the south of the town but it's far lengthier and worse roads

My route is clondrohid to kinsale rd reckon I'll be best heading towards rusheen and dropping back down carrigadrohid and into farran. Its going to cause major issues in the town as if they weren't bad enough.
    I've to keep telling myself it will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No way Jose.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My route is clondrohid to kinsale rd reckon I'll be best heading towards rusheen and dropping back down carrigadrohid and into farran. Its going to cause major issues in the town as if they weren't bad enough.
    I've to keep telling myself it will be worth it!

You'll be getting quite sick of that route after a while, quite a few boreens! Hopefully the Macroom element (especially from the Millstreet Road east) will be done soon.
    [/B]

No way Jose.

Worst case scenario but they have a big job on down there and the area is quite tight. I'd love to see it less but I'm being pessimistic rather than be shocked and disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Feck it, think I'll have to take the Mallow/Rathmore route for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Feck it, think I'll have to take the Mallow/Rathmore route for the next 12 months.

Buy a banger if you are currently driving anything nice at the moment. A second hand jeep thing.

Yeah, that 70 miles from Mitchelstown to Barraduff is old school soul destroying.

The work area I had described earlier in the week has now been expanded west to the other side of the R618 where there has been a large amount of pipes to be laid down moved in and a site compound established there also.

Seems like the first works to be done will be done from the eastern tie in westwards along the town itself.

No sign of any works at the crossing of the Millstreet Road or further west of there from the many viewing points along the N22.

Site compound on the Millstreet Road seems fairly well kitted out at this stage though.

They were hard at work this morning finishing off the bad dip in the road project at the end/start of the good road outside Ballyvourney but the work going on in Ballyvourney village itself is causing havoc with delays. It was bad enough this morning but it was brutal this evening about 7.30pm with huge tail backs on the bad bends.

In fairness in the 40 minutes it took me to travel about a mile there was a lone Garda there in the village by the time I got there doing his best to sort the situation out by overruling the temporary traffic lights the contractors had left in situ.

Ridiculous carry on altogether to be stuck in a huge queue in neutral for nearly 3\4's of an hour and see maybe 6 or 7 cars pass in the opposite direction every 5 minutes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Road resurfacing from 10th until 14th 8am-6pm Coolcower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Road resurfacing from 10th until 14th 8am-6pm Coolcower.

I seen that on the VMS this morning, would you not take the road at the Amenity centre and pass up the Golf club to avoid the town?

Truckermal wrote: »
    I seen that on the VMS this morning, would you not take the road at the Amenity centre and pass up the Golf club to avoid the town?
    Much easier to swing a right at the turn off for Dunmanway, then turn left for Nutricia and turn left again immediately before Nutricia.

The works are just on the Cork side of the Two Mile Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Much easier to swing a right at the turn off for Dunmanway, then turn left for Nutricia and turn left again immediately before Nutricia.

The works are just on the Cork side of the Two Mile Bridge.

I meant to quote her last post about the Mill Road closure! :o

Truckermal wrote: »
    I meant to quote her last post about the Mill Road closure! :o
    That VMS has been removed actually from across the road from the Mill.

Jons crew working away on the western side of the Sullane Bridge on the R618 this evening again. Trailer load of cones just gone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Jesus, ballyvourney is some nightmare

There’s a queue atm back from the road works at Two Mike Bridge as far as the Garda station in the town centre.

Perhaps starting the works this early in the day may not have been the best idea.

There were a lot of calls to the garda station this morning the lights heading to cork at the roadworks were staying green for 20seconds and red for 2 minutes. Meeting today at 2pm about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

There’s a queue atm back from the road works at Two Mike Bridge as far as the Garda station in the town centre.

Perhaps starting the works this early in the day may not have been the best idea.

What I can never figure out, and it was the same when they were doing Lissarda, is why they don't allow extra time for the heavier traffic flow, i.e. from west to east in the morning, and east to west in the evening. I thought I'd make it to Dunisky before turning off yesterday but I'll be taking the turn for Palfab this evening to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

Another reason to celebrate the fact that this road is being built.

I've just come across a website called airvisual.com which shows pollution levels around the world.

Of the 14 sites that they examine on the island of Ireland, Macroom is the (joint) worst.

It will be interesting to see what that's like when the bypass is built.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone know how long the current roadworks in Ballyvourney are scheduled to last? Just took me 25 minutes to drive through the village.

Anyone know how long the current roadworks in Ballyvourney are scheduled to last? Just took me 25 minutes to drive through the village.

Consider yourself lucky, Loo Bridge is closed and I had to drive over the Top of Coom just to get to Ballyvourney this morning only to met by an immediate tail back.

Looks like they are just doing patches of the road. So hopefully will be sorted soon.

More of it then at the bridge by Canovee, I pity anyone having to commute daily or trying to make a flight.

Dublin to Kenmare, would I be better heading through Cork as usual and turning off for Ballylickey/Glengarriff just before Lissarda, or turn off at Mitchelstown through Mallow? If I do go via Mallow/Barraduff/Glenflesk I'd still have to negotiate Loo Bridge, so that's not much good. I think I'll have to try Ballylickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is Limerick out of the question?

Dublin to Kenmare, would I be better heading through Cork as usual and turning off for Ballylickey/Glengarriff just before Lissarda, or turn off at Mitchelstown through Mallow? If I do go via Mallow/Barraduff/Glenflesk I'd still have to negotiate Loo Bridge, so that's not much good. I think I'll have to try Ballylickey.

If your travel times are flexible and you can avoid the usual traffic jams I'd say take the usual route, turn off left outside Ballyvourney, over the Top of Coom and you'll land over the bridge a few miles outside Kilgarvan about 15 minutes from Neidín.

Water John wrote: »
    Is Limerick out of the question?

For Kenmare? Completely. I've been doing that run twice a month for 25 years, and I've tried every way. By far the Cork route is the handiest.

If your travel times are flexible and you can avoid the usual traffic jams I'd say take the usual route, turn off left outside Ballyvourney, over the Top of Coom and you'll land over the bridge a few miles outside Kilgarvan about 15 minutes from Neidín.

Thanks. I'm taking into account the Macroom bypass work, so I'm looking at any route where I'm not sitting still, even if it takes longer. There's nothing more soul destroying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks. I'm taking into account the Macroom bypass work, so I'm looking at any route where I'm not sitting still, even if it takes longer. There's nothing more soul destroying.

Come via Mallow then and take the narrow road to Loo Bridge a few km after Glenflesk on the Cork side (although I'd be wary of meeting an idiot in a bus or HGV coming against me on that and the road from Mitchelstown to Mallow can be soul-destroying in heavy traffic).

Advertisement