Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Quackster wrote: »
    Come via Mallow then and take the narrow road to Loo Bridge a few km after Glenflesk on the Cork side (although I'd be wary of meeting an idiot in a bus or HGV coming against me on that and the road from Mitchelstown to Mallow can be soul-destroying in heavy traffic).

Yeah, the one that comes out at the old railway station. That is one seriously narrow road. I heard 2 trucks blocked it completely a few days ago. I suppose I could head into killarney and use the muckross Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks. I'm taking into account the Macroom bypass work, so I'm looking at any route where I'm not sitting still, even if it takes longer. There's nothing more soul destroying.

There was no hold ups from bypass works as such yesterday, a bit of resurfacing going on at the bridges in Carrigadrohid and Ballyvourney. Actually drove through Macroom town myself instead of taking the Mill road it was so quiet.
    The Top of Coom is a nice scenic drive if you can ignore the windmills.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bit of a holdup at the 4 mile bridge on the N22 but not major, 5/10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

If your travel times are flexible and you can avoid the usual traffic jams I'd say take the usual route, turn off left outside Ballyvourney, over the Top of Coom and you'll land over the bridge a few miles outside Kilgarvan about 15 minutes from Neidín.

This. I'd go Top of Coom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Quackster wrote: »
    Come via Mallow then and take the narrow road to Loo Bridge a few km after Glenflesk on the Cork side (although I'd be wary of meeting an idiot in a bus or HGV coming against me on that and the road from Mitchelstown to Mallow can be soul-destroying in heavy traffic).

Why are Bus/HGV drivers idiots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was just about to ask as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Truckermal wrote: »

He clearly didn't think that people who drive buses or trucks have accounts on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

He clearly didn't think that people who drive buses or trucks have accounts on boards.

I don't know the road: perhaps they think it inappropriate for large vehicles?

More like they see such vehicles as vermin and haven't a clue what they are about and the skill involved in driving them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The road in question (Foiladuane Road) is narrow and barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass. It’s not an appropriate diversion route for HGVs and two heavy vehicles got stuck down there last week when they met each other.

I’m not sure if it was signposted as such before this incident but there’s now clear 3 tonne signage on the road.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    The road in question (Foiladuane Road) is narrow and barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass. It’s not an appropriate diversion route for HGVs and two heavy vehicles got stuck down there last week when they met each other.

I’m not sure if it was signposted as such before this incident but there’s now clear 3 tonne signage on the road.

I seen nothing last week down there, it's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't in those situations.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Exactly this. Obviously only those truck and bus drivers who would attempt drive on roads wholly unsuited for such large vehicles are idiots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

marno21 wrote: »

Relax. The Kilgarvan militia are all over it.

https://www.facebook.com/dannyhealyrae/posts/3006387256051511

This is ironic seeing as they are in the news lately

https://twitter.com/corksafetyalert/status/1230082156178935810?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Passed it a few minutes ago, seems to have just slid down into the ditch near the horse statue. Nothing too serious for the driver I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

https://twitter.com/corksafetyalert/status/1230082156178935810?s=21

:D:D Speeding, surely not?

theguzman wrote: »
    :D:D Speeding, surely not?

Yer man driving it will never live it down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

Any word on when the works at 4mile/lissarda will be complete?

Looks today with one side done, that it might be another week.

• Advertisement

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/N22-Cork-Kerry-road-being-neglected--2b0382ec-53f2-4fef-a2a9-1ae2a16363fb-ds

THE N22 Cork to Kerry road is being neglected according to Fianna Fáil councillor Gobnait Moynihan.

In the county council roads report, it was revealed that €40,000 was to be spent on road safety inspection (RSI) “minor works” during 2020, which Ms Moynihan said is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

God almighty. Local media in this country is so pathetic - they'll take any oul' sh1t from county councillors and regurgitate it without question.

TII are spending nearly €300m on this road. Unless the road becomes dangerous, they're not going to give the local council one cent more, despite bleating from some local representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

serfboard wrote: »
    God almighty. Local media in this country is so pathetic - they'll take any oul' sh1t from county councillors and regurgitate it without question.

TII are spending nearly €300m on this road. Unless the road becomes dangerous, they're not going to give the local council one cent more, despite bleating from some local representative.

In fairness to the wider media the Echo is particularly bad at this! In fact there is more money currently being spent on repairing the existing road, the council have been at it a few weeks now, certainly more than €40,000 worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

In fairness to the Echo journalist and the Councillor, they do make the distinction … "I am not talking about the bypass, I am talking about the road that is there right now", so we can take it she was referring to maintenance of the existing road and not construction of the bypass. The article also later describes the bypass scheme as a €280m project.

However, where both the Councillor and journalist fall down is that the TII allocation of €40,000 is under the "Minor Works" heading only. There are a number of other headings under which far greater funds are allocated for maintenance/improvement of national primary routes generally in Cork during 2020, which would include the existing N22. Being a member of the politically experienced Moynihan family, it is a bit weak that the Councillor chose to stop reading the allocation report after the first paragraph (… we will assume she was not deliberately misrepresenting the TII allocation).

Aware discussion of the existing N22 is off topic for this thread, but the surface between Macroom town and the Circle K at Coolcower is in pretty bad shape.... roll on the day when a pitstop at Coolcower is followed/preceded by 22km of dual carriageway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

imangry29 wrote: »
    In fairness to the Echo journalist and the Councillor, they do make the distinction … "I am not talking about the bypass, I am talking about the road that is there right now", so we can take it she was referring to maintenance of the existing road and not construction of the bypass. The article also later describes the bypass scheme as a €280m project.

However, where both the Councillor and journalist fall down is that the TII allocation of €40,000 is under the "Minor Works" heading only. There are a number of other headings under which far greater funds are allocated for maintenance/improvement of national primary routes generally in Cork during 2020, which would include the existing N22. Being a member of the politically experienced Moynihan family, it is a bit weak that the Councillor chose to stop reading the allocation report after the first paragraph (… we will assume she was not deliberately misrepresenting the TII allocation).

Aware discussion of the existing N22 is off topic for this thread, but the surface between Macroom town and the Circle K at Coolcower is in pretty bad shape.... roll on the day when a pitstop at Coolcower is followed/preceded by 22km of dual carriageway :D

Point I was making is that the current roadworks on the existing N22 causing all the traffic delays are not part of the bypass scheme.

The current work at 4 mile bridge won't be finished this week IWT. They're doing a major excavation, 7/8 ft, and trunking it with stone on that side of the road.
    A delay of about 10 mins which isn't too bad.

BTW I don't understand why people leave an engine idling when you know you're not moving for 10 mins? Maybe I'm a miserable hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Water John wrote: »
    The current work at 4 mile bridge won't be finished this week IWT. They're doing a major excavation, 7/8 ft, and trunking it with stone on that side of the road.

BTW I don't understand why people leave an engine idling when you know you're not moving for 10 mins? Maybe I'm a miserable hoor.

Diesel engines don’t like running and being cut out and being started again over short periods. Best to let them idle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

Water John wrote: »

I agree, and similarly I dont understand why people keep brake pedal pressed instead of using handbrake when they can see that the traffic lights are counting down from 150 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I agree, and similarly I dont understand why people keep brake pedal pressed instead of using handbrake when they can see that the traffic lights are counting down from 150 seconds.

I absolutely despise people who do this at night, sitting behind a set of brake lights in the dark for anything up to 10 minutes (at the larger stop/go roadworks) is so bloody frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot going on down the Mill Road atm, stop go was in place as they are moving plant in for the earthworks. Hedgerow clearance ongoing where the new road will cross the River Laney near the Mill also.

Goal posts have been erected at the western side of where the N22 will cross the Millstreet Road but there's no work ongoing there yet. The demolished house along the route there is being reused as a site compound for work there.

Advertisement