Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I absolutely despise people who do this at night, sitting behind a set of brake lights in the dark for anything up to 10 minutes (at the larger stop/go roadworks) is so bloody frustrating!
    I agree, and similarly I dont understand why people keep brake pedal pressed instead of using handbrake when they can see that the traffic lights are counting down from 150 seconds.

Automatic cars, I usually just throw mine into Neutral and pull the handbrake. I never put it into park because if you get rear-ended you will wreck the autobox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Traffic backed up to Lissarda this afternoon, so I turned off for Kulmurray, over to Glengarriff and across the caha pass for Kenmare. Pleasant spin, and much better than sitting still for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FYI, the roads works at 4 mile bridge are completed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Water John wrote: »
    FYI, the roads works at 4 mile bridge are completed.

New set at Currahally now to keep us entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

N22 road development newsletter available on the Cork RDO site:

https://www.corkrdo.ie/major-schemes/forbairt-bothair-n22-baile-bhuirne-maigh-chromtha/

Direct link to download in PDF:

https://www.corkrdo.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/N22-Baile-Bhuirne-to-Macroom_Newsletter-No.1_Eng_26022020.pdf

Once the website is up and running the newsletters will be available from there

http://www.n22bbm.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Salvadoor wrote: »
    N22 road development newsletter available on the Cork RDO site:

https://www.corkrdo.ie/major-schemes/forbairt-bothair-n22-baile-bhuirne-maigh-chromtha/

Direct link to download in PDF:

https://www.corkrdo.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/N22-Baile-Bhuirne-to-Macroom_Newsletter-No.1_Eng_26022020.pdf

Once the website is up and running the newsletters will be available from there

http://www.n22bbm.ie/

Three and a half years to complete, ahh Lord, nooooooooooooooooo.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Three and a half years to complete, ahh Lord, nooooooooooooooooo.

They said the same about other projects in the city and they opened ahead of schedule, granted this is a bigger project but not impossible to get done sooner. I’m sure there will be an incentive for them not to run over time as they won’t get paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Thanks for the newsletter info its showing different dates to council website for coolyhane closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

marno21 wrote: »
    New set at Currahally now to keep us entertained

What are they doing at currahaly ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Low res photo here (from PDF)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Markcheese wrote: »
    What are they doing at currahaly ?

Pavement works

Traffic volumes are quite high there and the queues are a pain at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Stop/Go TM will be in place on N22 East of Two Mile Bridge, Macroom from March 11 - March 13, 9:30am - 4pm to facilitate drainage works. Delays Possible....

More road works :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Those works are small, manually controlled traffic with only a small delay, today.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

nordydan wrote: »
    Low res photo here (from PDF)

Here's one I made using the route in the EIS documentation.

/csd
    49659081022_683a3f8740_b.jpg
    N22 Macroom Bypass
    on Flickr

VMS up heading into the town from the Cork side advertising road works on the Mill Road beginning Monday 23rd.

Cork County Council also advise of a full closure from April 21st and May 12th

Good that they have it coincidentally scheduled with a massive drop in traffic on the route. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Reckon the current situation will delay the road being built? If there's further enhanced lockdown measures would people be allowed work that closely together?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Reckon the current situation will delay the road being built? If there's further enhanced lockdown measures would people be allowed work that closely together?

Aren't most road works done from a cab ? And all of it outdoors ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No there's no reason for any delay in construction projects. Outdoors is the easiest pace to instigate social distancing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-work-in-construction-sector-likely-to-continue-1.4205954?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

No there's no reason for any delay in construction projects. Outdoors is the easiest pace to instigate social distancing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-work-in-construction-sector-likely-to-continue-1.4205954?mode=amp
    The problem here is that I passed a construction site on Newmarket square with workers in groups close together. What happens when it dawns on them that they may be sued by the families of dead employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Unfortunately there are multiole potential reasons, delays in design, licences and approvals, delays on utility providers carrying out diversions, delays in getting precast units for bridges and culverts etc. Work will continue but it will be slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

KOR101 wrote: »
    The problem here is that I passed a construction site on Newmarket square with workers in groups close together. What happens when it dawns on them that they may be sued by the families of dead employees?

Best of luck To any solicitor proving where somebody contracted a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Best of luck To any solicitor proving where somebody contracted a virus.
    All it takes is one person on a construction site to test positive. At a minimum the site will close for a couple of days for deep cleaning. Then contact tracing will tell anyone who came in contact with that person to self isolate for 14 days. It's just not sustainable, although road projects must have far less risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All it takes is one person on a construction site to test positive. At a minimum the site will close for a couple of days for deep cleaning. Then contact tracing will tell anyone who came in contact with that person to self isolate for 14 days. It's just not sustainable, although road projects must have far less risk.

And again, good luck getting a solicitor proving where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

All it takes is one person on a construction site to test positive. At a minimum the site will close for a couple of days for deep cleaning.

Do any places of work get closed for deep cleaning when a worker tests positive? Even if it did make a difference in terms of stopping the spread of the virus, it wouldn't be possible to deep clean the vast majority of construction sites. Can't see bags of cement or slabs of plasterboard being great after getting washed down with disinfectant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Do any places of work get closed for deep cleaning when a worker tests positive?

Yes, most offices.

But agreed with your overall post and the other posters here: most construction projects hopefully won't be killed, but will go a little slower and with more difficult scheduling. I'm hearing of building sites where different teams are refusing to work simultaneously. Which I think it absolutely understandable where there's confined spaces.

Website now fully lauched: www.n22bbm.ie

Few drone pics of the route here: http://www.n22bbm.ie/iomhanna-gallery/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Website now fully lauched: www.n22bbm.ie

Few drone pics of the route here: http://www.n22bbm.ie/iomhanna-gallery/

That website's dedication to being bilingual is impressive. Is it because Ballyvourney is in a Gaeltacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

spacetweek wrote: »
    That website's dedication to being bilingual is impressive. Is it because Ballyvourney is in a Gaeltacht?

Presumably. I agree entirely, it is great to see. We're lucky to have such a fascinating language as Irish as our national language. Just a shame we don't see as much of it on other roads or government schemes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is the end game (in however many decades it's gonna be) to link up Cork and Kilarney via motorway? Is it actually feasible? The road immediately after this upgrade on the Kerry side would probably be easy to upgrade since it's so wide already.

Odd that they're putting a roundabout at Coolcour if that's the overall plan since it would have to be removed again to keep the motorway uninturrupted. But as I said this is decades away so they probably don't give a shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Any particular reason the new road is going north of Macroom? Looking at the route map if it was south of Macroom it would be more direct. I presume it's to do with terrain.

Advertisement