Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Ah I see. So the road I'm talking about will be no more after the bypass?

It will be there...an overbridge carries one road over another.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

How are Jons/Craddock operating the project:

1) Purchasing/leasing their own machines and employing local operators or operators from Meath? That is the Wills method of operating.

2) Subcontracting to plant hire firms in Cork or Kerry.

3) What quarry are they going to use? I recall that there was quarry built near the County Bounds for the last project on the N22. I don't know if the contractor had a licence in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah the famous county bounds quarry. Had no planning from the council they were located and supplying the other council. I'd be only surmising that, considering the terrain that, they will be able to supply a good portion from, borrow pits.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Water John wrote: »
    Ah the famous county bounds quarry. Had no planning from the council they were located and supplying the other council. I'd be only surmising that, considering the terrain that, they will be able to supply a good portion from, borrow pits.

Yep, considering the terrain it's cutting through, it could well be fairly self-sufficient for aggregate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Works really stepping up a notch now. Serious earthworks in progress on the Millstreet Road at the junction with a stop go in place now. Minor road diversion in place also now on the Masseytown Road and significant tree felling undergoing at the new N22 crossing point in Carrigaphooca.

Mill Road also closed of course. Town seems very busy this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

I walked a small section of the road over the weekend. Some serious terrain to work through. If people thought the ballincollig bypass was wide open when windy this will be alot worse its v high above the town of macroom. Its great to see it finally taking some shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Any pics of the progress? It'll be a few weeks before I get a chance for a gawk :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah I'd like to see some pictures if anyone has any. Although with the driving restrictions being eased today I could go for a look myself maybe, where is most of the current work being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Will be heading down to Kerry at the end of the month.

Can the works be seen from the existing road and of so whereabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

I reckon over the R618 bridge and along the mill road (the 'bypass') should give you a good view of the works.

This is the section between coleyhane and kilnagurteen

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

What's the timeline on this road? And I remember seeing talk of the macroom section opening ahead of the rest of it. Any timeline on that?

rounders wrote: »
    What's the timeline on this road? And I remember seeing talk of the macroom section opening ahead of the rest of it. Any timeline on that?

Early opening of a Macroom-only section doesn't seem possible. The only junction to the west of Macroom (until you're almost into Baile Mhic Íre) is on the Millstreet Road here. This would mean that Killarney-bound traffic would have to drive back down towards Macroom and then take a right onto the existing N22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

aisling86 wrote: »
    This is the section between coleyhane and kilnagurteen
    Congratulations aisling86, you are now our dedicated Macroom Bypass Correspondent!

We'll need a photographic update, oh, only about once a week or less, but could we have the photos in landscape mode, please?

Presence of your dog in the photos is optional, but if you are going to include it, we'll need to know its name!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

cantalach wrote: »
    Early opening of a Macroom-only section doesn't seem possible. The only junction to the west of Macroom (until you're almost into Baile Mhic Íre) is on the Millstreet Road here. This would mean that Killarney-bound traffic would have to drive back down towards Macroom and then take a right onto the existing N22.

The new N22 intersects with the old N22 about 3/4km west of Macroom at Carrigaphooca. There's no permanent access to the new road there but a temporary tie in could be constructed.

There was workers out there cutting down large volumes of trees at this location last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

serfboard wrote: »
    Congratulations aisling86, you are now our dedicated Macroom Bypass Correspondent!

We'll need a photographic update, oh, only about once a week or less, but could we have the photos in landscape mode, please?

Presence of your dog in the photos is optional, but if you are going to include it, we'll need to know its name!

Every photo must have the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Every photo must have the dog

I nominate the dog to cut the ribbon for the official opening

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

https://www.facebook.com/james.driscoll.104/posts/10157352019253170

Here's few pics from James O'Driscoll, he's a local photographer and he did some nice shots from he's drone. It start before the mill rd and it follows the build.
    Looks really nice! I'll try to get a few shots of works done near millstreet road as I live on the estate near the works.

I understand that some people might not have facebook so I'm adding direct link to pictures.

PIC1
    PIC2
    PIC3
    PIC4
    PIC5
    PIC6
    PIC7
    PIC8
    PIC9
    PIC10
    PIC11

Just incase they're not mine, they are taken by James O'Driscoll. Full credits to him for capturing it!
    If just incase you're pictures is zoomed in, press and hold CTRL and just scroll it down using your mouse :)

Think I'll leave james take over as photographer!! Hes brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭serfboard

In fairness, it's hard to beat the perspective that drone photography brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This thread is now 100% about your dog, sorry!

Pics please

marno21 wrote: »
    The new N22 intersects with the old N22 about 3/4km west of Macroom at Carrigaphooca. There's no permanent access to the new road there but a temporary tie in could be constructed.

I know that exact spot very well because the mother-in-law lives just up that boreen towards Clondrohid. The CPO corridor isn’t very wide there and I think it might be technically challenging to have a temporary tie-ie. it might also be problematic from a legal perspective. It’s one thing to early-open a planned junction for which planning has been granted, EIS done, etc. But this would be creating a temporary junction that has not been approved. Who knows eh?

515871.jpeg

Not to derail, but it's the closest thread. Heard very large wind turbines to come along N22 to Stage Cross and turning for Crookstown and Beal Na Blath.
    I think they have done a dry run and had even difficulty turning off the N22.
    Anyone hear of it, would love to see it.
    Know the route has been regularly used but this is supposed to be super big.

Water John wrote: »
    Not to derail, but it's the closest thread. Heard very large wind turbines to come along N22 to Stage Cross and turning for Crookstown and Beal Na Blath.
    I think they have done a dry run and had even difficulty turning off the N22.
    Anyone hear of it, would love to see it.
    Know the route has been regularly used but this is supposed to be super big.

I'd find it hard to believe they would get through the bends at crookstown. They had to stop all traffic each night to get them through macroom. Those bends are so tight and lots of trees.

A lot of them went west along the Bantry Line R585 over the years, regular route, just these are bigger. Took an hour for the Crookstown to Beal Na Blath drive on the trial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Water John wrote:
    Not to derail, but it's the closest thread. Heard very large wind turbines to come along N22 to Stage Cross and turning for Crookstown and Beal Na Blath. I think they have done a dry run and had even difficulty turning off the N22. Anyone hear of it, would love to see it. Know the route has been regularly used but this is supposed to be super big.

Yes it's true alright, they had difficulty with a tail swing catching a large Directional Sign, which has now been removed for a 4 to 5 month period.

Coolyhane Road in Macroom to remain closed for a further 3 weeks until July 10th to facilitate overbridge construction works.

Stop/go system in place just outside Ballymakeera at Toonlane also to faciliate clearance (I believe it's at the location of the roundabout on the existing N22 which is where the link road to the new N22 & the existing road to Clondrohid will begin).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Does anybody else find it all a bit exciting that it's finally happening now, or is it just me :D I always get a mini jolt of joy when I see someone's posted in the thread, can't wait to see what the latest update is :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Urgent closing of N22 between Macroom and Baile Mhic Ire
    From 22nd June till 25th June. From 9:30 until 16:30.

It starts from Millstreet Road Junction R582 in Macroom to Clondrohid Junction L3409 in Baile Mhic Ire.

They're doing road resurfacing. Diversion via Clondrohid.
    83201600_2658686704419008_571578290695629933_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_oc=AQklxGekn4VO2T819ahFwRsos7m2fmsRGey5k47Ev67WOv72sYPugY9i2FHU80ifmUg&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=8382cb425a1f64d88e7d502a5b397e74&oe=5F101DE4

Also as promised before I went for a walk today as I live on the Ros Alainn estate.
    Took some pictures of the work progress on the Millstreet Road side. Looks like they're busy! I'm attaching them to my post.

Advertisement