Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Any idea how long this is planned for?

Was a nightmare yesterday morning at 6.45, had lots of idiots passing all the traffic qued up at the red lights and going against oncoming traffic rather than wait the 10 minutes.

It was flowing much better this morning.

June 18th is the end on the notice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

No update since the 11th May...just like the Covid app?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

...explain?

The Covid app (on phones) hasn't been updated since the 11th due to the hack...and the last post on here before mine was also the 11th...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One lane of the new alignment of the existing N22 is now open at Carrigaphooca plus one roundabout. Tie in of the other lane is ongoing atm.

Hopefully they can reopen before June 18th because the delays are chronic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

There is an update vide on YouTube about a week ago . It's about the section around the town ,I think

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

They are working on the bypass tonight....my head is wrecked not used to this heavy machinery noise by night!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

aisling86 wrote: »
    They are working on the bypass tonight....my head is wrecked not used to this heavy machinery noise by night!

Are they near enough to be keeping you awake? You'd think that wouldn't be allowed if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Are they near enough to be keeping you awake? You'd think that wouldn't be allowed if so.

Occasional night works during various phases of construction are included in the planning application for most major infrastructural projects. Not that I'm not sympathetic to Aisling86. "Sleepless in Teerbeg".

This farm house is going to be bang in the middle of the old and new N22. Wonder was that planning hard to get?

N22%20farm%20house%20in%20the%20middle.JPG?dl=0

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Occasional night works during various phases of construction are included in the planning application for most major infrastructural projects. Not that I'm not sympathetic to Aisling86. "Sleepless in Teerbeg".

I wonder was it actually the farming contractors because they’ve been going full tilt since locally & up behind us in mountmassey house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Silage season has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

steeler j wrote: »
    There is an update vide on YouTube about a week ago . It's about the section around the town ,I think

do you have the link handy?

Links fixed for you there steeler j.

Looks like atm they are going balls out to get the new alignment open at Carrigaphooca before the Bank Holiday. They had the new tie in at the western end almost complete today and the old road landscaped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Slightly less insane drone piloting this time! No flying under the legs of cows near to the new alignment.

Good progress. Some impressive structures. Want to drive it now.

marno21 wrote: »
    Links fixed for you there steeler j.

Looks like atm they are going balls out to get the new alignment open at Carrigaphooca before the Bank Holiday. They had the new tie in at the western end almost complete today and the old road landscaped over.

Thank you . Great progress being made around the town

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Had a drive by Carrigaphooca today, holy sh*t! Didn't even recognise the place, I last drove it only three weeks ago.

Carrigaphooca all done anyway, no more traffic restrictions. Have to say its all well signposted, albeit disorientating! The driver in front of me today slowed down to a crawl any time there was anything to see, which was ok because I wanted to see too.

It's been asked on this thread before could they do a sectional opening from the eastern tie-in to Carrigaphooca, bypassing Macroom, first. I always said no, as the tie-in is complicated with no junction. However, I noticed today there is a haulage road going westbound at Carrigaphooca, and is they did want to sectionally open it, they could just tar this nicely. Might be a bit tight for HGVs though, unless they did a sharp turn at the top.

But that said, one part of the scheme that hasn't been touched is the Eastern Tie-in, or the road for a few hundred meters from here. Its through a lake. Won't be straightforward and will likely take time - so I still don't think we'll see a sectional opening.

Driving westbound this morning the car in front of me kept to a solid 50kmh all the way from Macroom to the west of Ballyvourney. I was not best pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just wondering is there a service station planned along the bypass?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there a service station planned along the bypass?
    There is planning permission being sought (granted?) for one just off the Macroom West exit.

Quackster wrote: »
    There is planning permission being sought (granted?) for one just off the Macroom West exit.

Is this the one out the Millstreet road or a different one?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is this the one out the Millstreet road or a different one?
    Yeah, Millstreet Road.

Ok I've been nerding out a little bit tonight, just wanting to see if I could work out just how much time this new road will save, given that all the towns on this route are 50kmh, and the "bit inbetween" is largely impossible to drive at more than 60kmh.

I have a big file of GPS tracklogs of whereever I go, and I have been along this road eight times in various directions. Now, ALL OF THEM ARE OFF PEAK, some are REALLY off peak, like 8am Sunday morning.

The average time from the eastern tie-in to the western tie-in for me was 22m05sec. Thats obeying all speed limits, not that you could possibly break any of them anyway. Lets say 22mins for ease. (Shortest was 19min, highest was 25min)

They say on the project website a total of 22km of dual carriageway (quite the coincidence). We'll assume thats correct and that you can get a smooth 100kmh out of it. That makes it just over 13 minutes to get from east to west tie-ins, or vice versa.

So off peak, as in a Sunday morning, you're looking at 6 minutes saved in the absolute "worst" case of tearing through Macroom and not getting stuck behind anyone anywhere.

On average, I'm saying a 10 minute time saving on a standard off-peak day - but as I generally travel early weekend mornings my data is quite biased, this could be closer to 12-15 minutes saved I'd say.

With 10 minute delays at Macroom, probably worse on a bank holiday, you're easily looking at 20 - 30 minutes saved.

Overall -
    Offpeak - 12 to 15 minutes saved
    Peak - God knows, but could be 20 - 30 minutes saved

Not to mention a **slightly** improved quality of the drive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Ok I've been nerding out a little bit tonight, just wanting to see if I could work out just how much time this new road will save, given that all the towns on this route are 50kmh, and the "bit inbetween" is largely impossible to drive at more than 60kmh.

I have a big file of GPS tracklogs of whereever I go, and I have been along this road eight times in various directions. Now, ALL OF THEM ARE OFF PEAK, some are REALLY off peak, like 8am Sunday morning.

The average time from the eastern tie-in to the western tie-in for me was 22m05sec. Thats obeying all speed limits, not that you could possibly break any of them anyway. Lets say 22mins for ease. (Shortest was 19min, highest was 25min)

They say on the project website a total of 22km of dual carriageway (quite the coincidence). We'll assume thats correct and that you can get a smooth 100kmh out of it. That makes it just over 13 minutes to get from east to west tie-ins, or vice versa.

So off peak, as in a Sunday morning, you're looking at 6 minutes saved in the absolute "worst" case of tearing through Macroom and not getting stuck behind anyone anywhere.

On average, I'm saying a 10 minute time saving on a standard off-peak day - but as I generally travel early weekend mornings my data is quite biased, this could be closer to 12-15 minutes saved I'd say.

With 10 minute delays at Macroom, probably worse on a bank holiday, you're easily looking at 20 - 30 minutes saved.

Overall -
    Offpeak - 12 to 15 minutes saved
    Peak - God knows, but could be 20 - 30 minutes saved

Not to mention a **slightly** improved quality of the drive!!!

Not to mind the mental health benefits of not sitting in a line of traffic from the Auld Triangle to Ford, though why the new road doesn't start at Lissarda is mad, come off a 100kph road to ram into an artic turning off for Danone!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

cjmcork wrote: »
    ...... to ram into an artic turning off for Danone!

Ewe be careful :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

20 minute delays aren’t unusual in Macroom on Friday evenings. All it takes is a badly parked car and a few trucks trying to pass through the town in opposite directions.

@cjmcork - Lissarda should have been bypassed long ago: N22 Ovens–Macroom was planned back in the early 2000s, and would have been built at the same time as, or just after, the Ballincollig Bypass. Sadly, there were a lot of well-connected people living along the Lee Valley who didn’t like the effect that a motorway would have had on their prospects for land rezoning, and unlike me and you, they had money to run a well-organised pressure campaign (remember “Save the Lee Valley”?).

At the time (2001), traffic on the route didn’t justify a motorway, but the government had money and was overcompensating for decades of half measures on roads projects. Today, the route is at between 20k AADT (Ovens) and 13k (Ballytrasna, west of Lissarda); the Ovens figure is towards the top end of what a 2+2 can handle, so it will probably need at least the eastern part to be built as Type 1 DC when it eventually gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    20 minute delays aren’t unusual in Macroom on Friday evenings. All it takes is a badly parked car and a few trucks trying to pass through the town in opposite directions.

@cjmcork - Lissarda should have been bypassed long ago: N22 Ovens–Macroom was planned back in the early 2000s, and would have been built at the same time as, or just after, the Ballincollig Bypass. Sadly, there were a lot of well-connected people living along the Lee Valley who didn’t like the effect that a motorway would have had on their prospects for land rezoning, and unlike me and you, they had money to run a well-organised pressure campaign (remember “Save the Lee Valley”?).

At the time (2001), traffic on the route didn’t justify a motorway, but the government had money and was overcompensating for decades of half measures on roads projects. Today, the route is at between 20k AADT (Ovens) and 13k (Ballytrasna, west of Lissarda); the Ovens figure is towards the top end of what a 2+2 can handle, so it will probably need at least the eastern part to be built as Type 1 DC when it eventually gets built.

The bypass isn't all about speeding up journeys for car drivers travelling from Cork to Kerry or vice versa. The improvement it will make to the lives of the residents of Macroom is immeasurable. Because it's basically a one street town that is constantly choked with traffic (including buses and HGVs) walking or shopping in the town has become very unpleasant in recent years. Not just that but a lot of the minor roads around Macroom are used as a rat run for speeding motorists to avoid the traffic - so walking or cycling on these roads has become dangerous. The opening of the bypass (in 2023 hopefully?) will make a massive difference to life in Macroom - regardless of how many minutes it shaves off journey times.

daveboy01 wrote: »
    The bypass isn't all about speeding up journeys for car drivers travelling from Cork to Kerry or vice versa. The improvement it will make to the lives of the residents of Macroom is immeasurable. Because it's basically a one street town that is constantly choked with traffic (including buses and HGVs) walking or shopping in the town has become very unpleasant in recent years. Not just that but a lot of the minor roads around Macroom are used as a rat run for speeding motorists to avoid the traffic - so walking or cycling on these roads has become dangerous. The opening of the bypass (in 2023 hopefully?) will make a massive difference to life in Macroom - regardless of how many minutes it shaves off journey times.

This is what I cannot wait for! Walking the kids to school and the smell of fumes is horrific and we cannot wait to be able to cycle through the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I completely agree: I should have made that clearer what that delay really means to the town itself. The fact that there are frequently 20 minute delays, means that the town is often clogged with traffic that’s just sitting still, pumping out exhaust gases.

Actually, just walking around Macroom is difficult even at off-peak times, as the constant stream of traffic through Main St makes even crossing from one side of the road to the other far more difficult than it should be on a shopping street.

Advertisement