Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband but no phone?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Basically I want to get broadband in my apartment but I don't have a phone connected(have a phone line though).

I'd like anything from 1mb-2mb, and i'm in Galway, but as I said I really don't need a phone line, is there any solution or do i need a phone line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any of the "wireless" broadbands should work for you, irish broadband, clearwire, any of the mobile brandnames' broadbands are all candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

stay AWAY from Clearwire they actively Throttle, packet shape, port block they even block VOIP. They are the devil in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Hey,

Basically I want to get broadband in my apartment but I don't have a phone connected(have a phone line though).

I'd like anything from 1mb-2mb, and i'm in Galway, but as I said I really don't need a phone line, is there any solution or do i need a phone line?

Which part of Galway,

DigiWeb have their "Metro" service, with two masts, Oranmore and Galway City, you need to get abot 6km from the mast.

If you further west, Carraroe/Costollo have radiowave.

there is also NTL, if you already have Cable TV.. NTL Cable is usually the best value for money...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

NTL would be the best solution, though its only good value ifd you want their TV package imho

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

If you've got a phone line then you want what they call in the US a "dry line". i.e. dsl over the line, but without phone service. Not sure if any of the Irish telecoms operators offer that though. You'd probably have to navigate through a few phone calls with sales folk before getting the real answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

RedXIV wrote: »
    Any of the "wireless" broadbands should work for you, irish broadband, clearwire, any of the mobile brandnames' broadbands are all candidates

Not unless you want to keep your sanity. You're basically looking at Digiweb metro, NTL or Irish broadband Breeze.
    tripswitch wrote: »
    If you've got a phone line then you want what they call in the US a "dry line". i.e. dsl over the line, but without phone service. Not sure if any of the Irish telecoms operators offer that though. You'd probably have to navigate through a few phone calls with sales folk before getting the real answer.

We don't have that in Ireland I'm afraid. You have to pay line rental if you use the phone or not and the hugely expensive line rental here is why people look for solutions other than dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Re: Dry Line
    Closest thing to that is LLU. But the provider can't buy / lease the line and has to pay monthly rental to eircom for exchange space and line. Line alone is near 17 Euro wholesale rental for LLU! many EU countries have retail line rental less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

RedXIV wrote: »
    any of the mobile brandnames' broadbands are all candidates

I wouldn't recommend any 3G around Galway City. At peak time it often enough happens that you CAN'T get a connection. And if you get it, then it's fractions of the speed advertised. I've seen this regularly with both 3 and Vodafone.

/Martin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cabaal wrote: »
    NTL would be the best solution, though its only good value ifd you want their TV package imho

You can now get NTL without their cable package- which is reliable and a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternates. I have 8Mb Down/ 1Mb Up for EUR30 a month (paid bimonthly)- and they have a 15Mb package for about EUR40 a month. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the contention ratios- during peak times your connection can be very much reduced- but there is no blocking. Lag can be bad for some things (as they route through Holland), but you'll be hard pressed to get better.

Note: their customer service is appalling, and the contrators they use for installations or callouts normally don't have permission to do anything at all- and often turn up without key pieces of equipment. But at least they turn up- unlike some of the other providors........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Thanks for all the replys, it seems my main problem is that I am in Barna and ntl won't be servicing here until next year, very gay!

• Advertisement

Hi,

IBB Breeze is available in Barna, if you are allowed to install an antenna on the roof.

/Martin

Joy! it is available, I'm going to try a twelve month contract then switch to ntl when thats rolled out!

Edit: They won't install breeze on apparment buildings, gay!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

smccarrick wrote: »
    Note: their customer service is appalling, and the contrators they use for installations or callouts normally don't have permission to do anything at all- and often turn up without key pieces of equipment. But at least they turn up- unlike some of the other providors........

There have been many complaints on here of NTL failing to keep appointments.

Joy! it is available, I'm going to try a twelve month contract then switch to ntl when thats rolled out!

Edit: They won't install breeze on apparment buildings, gay!

Well, they will if you get permission from the owner. It's more an issue with permission to do so.

/Martin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Apartment buildings are actually owned by the Management Company- the landlord simply has a longterm lease for sole use of the enterior of the property (along with rights for recreational use of the balcony, if any). No-one can erect a Sky dish, aerial etc- without the permission of the Management Company normally. Doesn't stop some people of course.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Apartment buildings are actually owned by the Management Company

That doesn't apply to any appartment building or are you referring to this specific case ?

We have done roll-outs, where the building owner was the one approving it and there was no management company involved, as he's also managing the buildings himself.

/Martin

Well I'd hope the management company would allow it as I am the owner of the apartment. Maybe if I say that to Irish Broadband I might be able to get it, first to call my management company!

Advertisement