Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone onto their second full license?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

I was wondering if the date of issue gives the date of issue of their first license?
    If not, how do they tell that the license is someone's first or second?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No mention of the original date of issue on a second full license.
    If not, how do they tell that the license is someone's first or second?

I'm assuming you're asking for the purposes of car rental. They can't tell by looking at the license (apart from doing the maths if the person with the license is really young), but they do ask you to sign a declaration that your license complies with their requirements, and if there's an accident, then the insurance on the car would be invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

how do they tell that the license is someone's first or second?
    Why would it matter? They would have at least 10 years on the 1st one! :confused:

The date is the date of renewal (on mine anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Just noticed that under information it says "01". Does this refer to it being a 1st full license? Can anyone with a 2nd full license confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

01 means you need glasses, i assume you wear them :)

Can anyone with a 2nd full license confirm this?
    There is no such thing as a "second" Driving Licence. Any subsequent licences are renewals of the original licence and do not confer any additional status onto the owner.

• Advertisement

Why would it matter? They would have at least 10 years on the 1st one! :confused:
    Just to clarify this - they would have 10 years on the first category of the licence. Subsequent categories added to the licence expire when the original category reaches 10 years regardless of when they were added.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The date is the date of renewal (on mine anyway).

the difference is that car rental firms require that you have your license two years when renting..... so if the op passed his test 11 years ago how would he prove it wasn't one year ago ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    the difference is that car rental firms require that you have your license two years when renting..... so if the op passed his test 11 years ago how would he prove it wasn't one year ago ?
    I see what you mean.

The orginal date of the first licence is given.

e.g. "From 1/1/86
    To 1/1/16"

The licence would have been renewed in 1996 and 2006 and is due again in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Yes it was for the purpose of renting a car. I wouldn't drive if it means I won't be insured.
    There are potential ways around having to have a full license for two years e.g. get someone else to rent the car and be added as a named driver. Also, some places accept an international license.

Btw, yes I wear glasses or contacts although if a garda pulled me over I'm not sure if he/she would be able to tell if I was wearing contacts or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are potential ways around having to have a full license for two years e.g. get someone else to rent the car and be added as a named driver. Also, some places accept an international license.

The license restriction applies to all drivers. Also, an international driving permit isn't an actual license; it only serves as a translation of your license to make it easier to read for foreign police. You still need to carry around your real license and it still needs to be valid.
    Btw, yes I wear glasses or contacts although if a garda pulled me over I'm not sure if he/she would be able to tell if I was wearing contacts or not.

I'm sure they'd probably just ask you to read something from a distance or some similar test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you were driving recklessly/dangerously or they thought you were drunk and you passed the breathalyser they appear not to care - I've never been asked to prove I had lenses in and my license has the 01 too (and I seem to remember my first provisional had a red 'MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES' stamp on it, was a while ago tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

When issued with a new D/Licence, The new licence will have:

The new date of issue

However in the, 'period of licence' 'to and from' section
    the from section will remain at the original date of issue.

I have multiple categories, and am on my second full licence and the 'to' section has an array of different dates, all dated prior to the issue of my current licence

Advertisement