Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E36 BMW 316 Coupe - To buy or not to buy!

Options
  • 20-05-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

A nice BMW 316 has caught my eye on carzone, has 75k miles - 1999. Seems to be in order. I'm just wary about buying a bmw with regards servicing costs and parts. Can someone persuade me/disuade me from it! Was looking at golfs originally - wanted a GT TDI from the UK but they aren't exactly ten a penny as I'm looking for a 115bhp with lowish mileage. So that's what brought me onto the bimmer!

Help! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The BMW 316i is drastically under powered, it's just about got 100bhp so you wont be going anywhere fast, i'm sure others will say something similar. What price is that particular BMW going for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

think this question is better posted here
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/index.php

as for my 2 cents
    nice looking car - probably imported :) thats good
    tastfully modded - nice angel eyes - unusual color
    get a full service hist and would be happy.
    dont forget there are loads of them out there and there is nothing selling at the moment so dont go paying the asking

BUT
    the 1.6 is underpowerd :( for the size and weight

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

JoeySully wrote: »
    think this question is better posted here
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/index.php

as for my 2 cents
    nice looking car - probably imported :) thats good
    tastfully modded - nice angel eyes - unusual color
    get a full service hist and would be happy.
    dont forget there are loads of them out there and there is nothing selling at the moment so dont go paying the asking

BUT
    the 1.6 is underpowerd :( for the size and weight

Yeah, I like the colour, it's different like. I'd prefer a 318 BUT i'm having trouble getting insured on one. Still want the golf, just wish there were more around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd give the 316i a miss and go for a 6 pot 3 series/BMW at a later date when you can afford the insurance for one. 102 bhp is pitiful in a car that's meant to be about driving pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Yeah, I like the colour, it's different like. I'd prefer a 318 BUT i'm having trouble getting insured on one. Still want the golf, just wish there were more around.

A 1999 316i and 318i both have the same 1.9 litre engine afaik. The 318i just has slightly more bhp. Both are painfully slow and only have the performance of an average 1.6 litre engine. So your paying tax, insurance and fuel on a 1.9 litre engine with the performance of a 1.6 litre.

Just try and look beyond "its a BMW" thing for a moment.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    A 1999 316i and 318i both have the same 1.9 litre engine afaik. The 318i just has slightly more bhp. Both are painfully slow and only have the performance of an average 1.6 litre engine. So your paying tax, insurance and fuel on a 1.9 litre engine with the performance of a 1.6 litre.

Just try and look beyond "its a BMW" thing for a moment.

The 316i did have a 1.6 engine, 102hp, 150Nm torque...:):)

Back in 1999 the 316i was a 1.9 litre afaik.

Back in 1999 the 316i was a 1.9 litre afaik.

wikipedia seems to say that the 1.6 engine was in production until 2001, in the 316i, until it was replaced by a pathetic 1.8, either way, it does be slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The head gasket is guaranteed to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Get a e36 318is end of discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

PM me if you want a GT Tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i want it, is it free ? cause i got no money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Notch000 wrote: »
    i want it, is it free ? cause i got no money

Funny guy!

No its not, 'cause I ain't got any money either.:confused:

Indeed the E36 316i did, the E46 316i switched to the 1.9 unit and was replaced by the 115 bhp 1.8 Valvetronic engine in 2002 which first saw the light of day when the E46 Compact came out in 2001.

wikipedia seems to say that the 1.6 engine was in production until 2001, in the 316i, until it was replaced by a pathetic 1.8, either way, it does be slow!
    E92 wrote: »
    Indeed the E36 316i did, the E46 316i switched to the 1.9 unit and was replaced by the 115 bhp 1.8 Valvetronic engine in 2001 which first saw the light of day in the E46 Compact.

My bad, I must have been mixing it up with the last of the E36 Compact 316i which I have seen advertised with a 1.9 litre engine.

My bad, I must have been mixing it up with the last of the E36 Compact 316i which I have seen advertised with a 1.9 litre engine.
    It is possible that they did, I just never remember an E36 316i with a 1.9 litre engine, the only 1.9 E36 I remember is the 318is.

And could you please edit the bit where you quoted me too, cause I changed it a little:D:o?

Ha, no bother at all at all, 'twas just a bit of banter:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

Does anyone know the difference between the 316i coupe and the 316 se???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

please try a search or alternatively open a new thread ...don't just tag your question to a remotely related old thread, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement