Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will the Liverpool fans cheer on tomorrow night?

• 20-05-2008 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

After seeing a little tet-a-tet regarding the CL final on the liverpool rumours thread one of the posters comments got me curious
    Any pool fan who says theyd rather see united win is not a true liverpool fan.
    and the reply from some other contributer regarding this post
    F*cking ridiculous statement - what age are you - 12?

I know it was a bit of an overstatement but I would have thought its not far from the truth.

Is there really liverpool supporters out there that will be cheering on ManU?

I just thought I would throw a poll up to see who will you be cheering on tomorrow night

Who will you cheer on tomorrow night (Liverpool Fans) 5 votes

Manchester United
    0%
    Chelsea
    100%
    dardozAPMjoker77Jazzywill1977 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Where's the Russian Police option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I dont think il watch it tbh.If chelsea win they are still 4 off us,if utd win they are 2.There are more UTD fans so the boasting will be relentless,whereas I only know 1 chelski fan.

Id say I would prefer if chelsea won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I can't understand how a fan could cheer on another team no matter what.

If it was Chelsea - Barcelona I wouldn't be cheering either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Liverpool have no major historical rivalry with Chelsea.

Leeds are the only club with a rivalry with both clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

could care less who wins, doesnt bother me at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the question should be "since one team HAS to win, who would you pick?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i won't be hoping anyone wins but seein that someone has to i'm gonna go with chelsea.

United winning a double is just bad for any non-utd supporters have have to put up with.

Also if utd lose they'll blame it on something ridiculous (like steve bennett not being the referee :p) and thats always funny to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll be watching and cheering every conceeded goal. :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I wont be cheering for anyone. I hope both teams lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Thanks will1977 whoever ye are:D Had a bet on with a collegue that a united fan would be first to choose the united option even though it was about liverpool fans thoughts....

it was only 5yoyos but .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I wouldnt call them 'fans' if they were cheering on any particular team.

i dont give a flying f--- who wins . prob will be a boring tactical game won on penos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I hope chelsea whip them 4 or 5 nil (we can all dream)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

i dont give a flying f--- who wins . prob will be a boring tactical game won on penos.

No Liverpool are not in it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Does it really matter who Liverpool fans are cheering? They're out. Theres no obligation to cheer on any side.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Hate both clubs for reasons that are clear as day...but from a historical point of view i would want Chelsea to win...not even going to watch the match the two of them sicken me so much. Got better things to be doing like doing my project so i can get a career going.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    going to watch the match the two of them sicken me so much.

Eh why do football teams sicken you? I can understand people being against Abramovich and his idea that he can buy success but what have Man United ever done to sicken anyone?

DSB wrote: »
    Eh why do football teams sicken you? I can understand people being against Abramovich and his idea that he can buy success but what have Man United ever done to sicken anyone?

For Liverpool fans there is no need for an explanation as history shows the hatred both sets of fans have for each other. Man U have bought success over the last 20 years...most money to buy players until Ambramovich upscaled the market.

Good job on trying to live upto the stereotypical view of what you should and shouldn't like there.

Whats the point in beating about the bush, i have gave my honest and straight to the point answer to this thread's question..simple as. Do i support Man U no, I support Liverpool and Utd are our most fiercest rivals thats like saying why don't Wexford people not want to see Kilkenny win it is because they are our most fiercest rivals. Stereotypical view as you call it, it's simple really. Would you support your fiercest rivals i think not.

Whats the point in beating about the bush, i have gave my honest and straight to the point answer to this thread's question..simple as.

Eh generally discussion forums are designed for discussion. Otherwise every thread would just be a catalogue where everyone posts once with their opinion on the thread topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd prefer Chelsea to win because I've admired their performances against us in the three semi - finals over the last four years. I have a lot of time for players like Ballack and Carvalheo and I think they deserve it more as a squad than Utd do for how well they have performed in the competition over the past few seasons.

Additionally, there are less of their fans on this board so if they win it will make the place more tolerable to be around for the coming days and weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

united win and i get €150......yet all my friends are united supporters and i'd take great pleasure in their unhappiness!

so therefore whatever happens i win................but i also loose!!!

Confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wont be cheering anyone per say but definately want Chelsea to win.

in the grand scheme of things in football, Chelsea are not on the radar of great teams like Liverpool and Utd, a double will bring Utd even closer to us in terms the greatest ever English team. whereas Chelsea....meh.

Eh generally discussion forums are designed for discussion. Otherwise every thread would just be a catalogue where everyone posts once with their opinion on the thread topic.

Well the question on this thread is pretty clear, who will the Liverpool fans cheer on tomorrow night? It's either a yes or no answer, it is not a broad enough question to create a discussion considering it is clear who Liverpool fans would want to win on whole according to the Poll and what is been said on www.irishkop.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The only thing that swings it for me is for that the 'double' isn't won, so Chelski by a nose.

It's either a yes or no answer

So its completely irrational to ask why then?

So its completely irrational to ask why then?

It's not irrational just considering the history with the clubs in the last 2 decades been honest really the notion that Liverpool fans would support Utd in a game of this magnitude is not thinking at all. Liverpool fans will never support Utd unless Utd were in with a chance of handing us the Title that is the only time.

It's not irrational just considering the history with the clubs in the last 2 decades been honest really the notion that Liverpool fans would support Utd in a game of this magnitude is not thinking at all. Liverpool fans will never support Utd unless Utd were in with a chance of handing us the Title that is the only time.

Yeah it obviously seems fair enough that fans might have a will for a club to lose that they've had a rivalry with for the last while. I was more asking why they sicken you. You'd swear they were a team full of rapists plotting to take over the world or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

hahah god I love it.

Stop lying lloyd, you have no affinity for Chelsea. You just wanna see Ronaldo cry and then label him average!

• Advertisement

Yeah it obviously seems fair enough that fans might have a will for a club to lose that they've had a rivalry with for the last while. I was more asking why they sicken you. You'd swear they were a team full of rapists plotting to take over the world or something?

The site of Gary Neville is just about enough to sicken all Liverpool fans and females included. There sick songs of Hillsborough is just one of the reasons why along with what is been sung about Munich as well. The death of a life should not be disrespected in such a manner which is why they sicken me.

Hypocritical nature of the club(Fergie included) itself over what happened with Mascherano, considering nearly the whole eleven Utd players ran after Andy D'urso back a few years ago when he gave a peno to the opposition at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Football is full of hyperbole, surely you're used to it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

For Liverpool fans there is no need for an explanation as history shows the hatred both sets of fans have for each other. Man U have bought success over the last 20 years...most money to buy players until Ambramovich upscaled the market.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Utd didn't buy success, Utd worked towards success initially with Fergie implementing the youth policy when he got to the club. We bought a few players obviously when he came in, a few hundred grand for Clayton Blackmore etc...

..then eventually we got success with the FA and went from strenght to strenght in the league and in Europe to some extent. With success came more revenue. Utd became a PLC and generated more money, thus enabling them to compete with big European clubs in the transfer market, as well as be able to buy better players than their PL rivals.

So you see, Utd's success and wealth took years to achieve, we weren't bought by a billionaire an propelled to ''big 4-dom'', although Chelsea were on the verge but needed the cash injection to really compete. Utd earned and deserve to be where they are as a club, Liverpool are trying to get there. Guess how they're doing that? By selling to Americans and spending millions on players...? Ironing no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3073171.ece Jonny Evans rape
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4357914.stm Ronaldo rape
    http://www.brandchannel.com/features_webwatch.asp?ww_id=36 Man United - world's biggest brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Quite a patronising question for Liverpool fans to be fair

I'm sure most would be happy to see United lose but in the end they would prefer to concentrate on their own team

The site of Gary Neville is just about enough to sicken all Liverpool fans and females included. There sick songs of Hillsborough is just one of the reasons why along with what is been sung about Munich as well. The death of a life should not be disrespected in such a manner which is why they sicken me.

Hypocritical nature of the club(Fergie included) itself over what happened with Mascherano, considering nearly the whole eleven Utd players ran after Andy D'urso back a few years ago when he gave a peno to the opposition at Old Trafford.

Think you'll find Munich happened first and there were songs about that first. But nevermind the facts eh.

What about Liverpool fans robbing their own fans in Turkey 3 years ago for a ticket? Liverpool fans getting English clubs banned from Europe for 5 years? Liverpool fans destroying Old Trafford - tearing up seats, breaking urinals and writing things about Harold Shippman on the walls?

Every club has a bad element, Utd included, but I've never come across a more disgusting set of fans than Liverpools bad element.

Also you're using examples for an argument you can't possibly win, Rafa is a hypocrite, so is Fergie, so is Avram Grant etc. All fans have distasteful songs about another club..I could go on! Seriously you sound so bitter. It's football and unfortunately there are a lot of tossers supporting a lot of clubs. Live with it, or be very very unhappy for the rest of your supporting life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I think they will cheer United and Chelsea fans kill each other:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Not going to support anyone. Not even going to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

After seeing a little tet-a-tet regarding the CL final on the liverpool rumours thread one of the posters comments got me curious

and the reply from some other contributer regarding this post

I know it was a bit of an overstatement but I would have thought its not far from the truth.

Is there really liverpool supporters out there that will be cheering on ManU?

I just thought I would throw a poll up to see who will you be cheering on tomorrow night

Any scouser worth his salt that I know is hoping United get well and truly stuffed.
    I haven't got any to admit they think Chelsea have a better chance of stopping United (who, let's face it, look like they've had their name on this trophy from Day One) than they would have, but they're not that thick.

The scousers would like United's European Cup tally to stay at 2.
    Would that the League number could stay so static.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

hunter164 wrote: »
    Not going to support anyone. Not even going to watch it.

Sorry, just seeing this.

This is the most common answer I've gotten from LFC disciples of my acquaintance.

Predhead wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Utd didn't buy success, Utd worked towards success initially with Fergie implementing the youth policy when he got to the club. We bought a few players obviously when he came in, a few hundred grand for Clayton Blackmore etc...

Add Gary Pallister, Gary Parker, Mark Hughes, Paul Ince, Danny Wallace, Denis Irwin to name a few to the equation in the time in the 80's when the were bought were big fees there is probably more too. Utd spent some amount money back in the 80's under Fergie to get up there with Liverpool and in the 90's spent more than any manager at a club. Yorke, Stam, Cole add Keane, Cantona, May, Berg, Taibi, Blomqvist all big money back in the day and times.

• Advertisement

Any scouser worth his salt that I know is hoping United get well and truly stuffed.
    I haven't got any to admit they think Chelsea have a better chance of stopping United (who, let's face it, look like they've had their name on this trophy from Day One) than they would have, but they're not that thick.

The scousers would like United's European Cup tally to stay at 2.
    Would that the League number could stay so static.

Who cares? Is it so inconceivable to think that their might be Liverpool fans out there who just don't care? And would rather concentrate on their own clubs efforts? I know it's asking a lot from fans of Utd (if roles were reversed), Liverpool etc but if there are fans who'd rather concentrate on Liverpool then it doesn't mean they're any less of a fan. I'm a Utd fan (obviously) but I couldn't give a toss if Liverpool had won the EC again this season. OK I'd rather they'd lose but I wouldn't bother me to the extent it seems others on here. You can't live like that imo, life's too important!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

nedward wrote: »

Not one rape case has been taken against any Man Utd player, each time there was an allegation claimed, it was later found out to be false. By you quoting these links, you are implying that they have been trialed and found guilty.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Quite a patronising question for Liverpool fans to be fair

I'm sure most would be happy to see United lose but in the end they would prefer to concentrate on their own team

Of course it is to bear a reaction. I have given mine i hate Man U and Chelsea. Growing up here as a youngster in the 90's listening to Utd fans and even now a bunch of glory hunting fans who jumped on the bandwagon in 1993. The fact that someone mentioned Utd only spent a hundred grand on Clayton Blackmore shows the lack of knowledge of how much money Utd spent on players.

I cant believe the amount of pool fans saying that they wont even watch the final. The same guys will be on here with score updates.

Dont be so bitter, liverpool think they have some sort of divine right to the CL and when there not in the final, they think that its a pointless final. Get over yourselves, the football world does not revolve around liverpool.

Reason I ain't watching is because I've training but I still haven't got an interest in who wins.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    the football world does not revolve around liverpool.

Oh yes it does.

Add Gary Pallister, Gary Parker, Mark Hughes, Paul Ince, Danny Wallace, Denis Irwin to name a few to the equation in the time in the 80's when the were bought were big fees there is probably more too. Utd spent some amount money back in the 80's under Fergie to get up there with Liverpool and in the 90's spent more than any manager at a club. Yorke, Stam, Cole add Keane, Cantona, May, Berg, Taibi, Blomqvist all big money back in the day and times.

My point is the money they spent was there's. They'd built up the club over time to be able to compete in the transfer market. It didn't happen overnight. What you're accusing Utd of Liverpool are doing now...

Hughes was a Utd produced player who returned to the club after 2 seasons away - sold for 2m and bought back for 1.8m.

The rest were bought over many years. As I said, it didn't happen overnight. Utd earned their success (I know many Liverpool fans that would disagree with you) as did Liverpool in the 70's - they bought players too ya know.

You forget too that Ferguson won the EC with Aberdeen, or did he buy that aswell?

hunter164 wrote: »
    Oh yes it does.

So ye like to think

Predhead wrote: »
    Think you'll find Munich happened first and there were songs about that first. But nevermind the facts eh.

What about Liverpool fans robbing their own fans in Turkey 3 years ago for a ticket? Liverpool fans getting English clubs banned from Europe for 5 years? Liverpool fans destroying Old Trafford - tearing up seats, breaking urinals and writing things about Harold Shippman on the walls?

Every club has a bad element, Utd included, but I've never come across a more disgusting set of fans than Liverpools bad element.

Also you're using examples for an argument you can't possibly win, Rafa is a hypocrite, so is Fergie, so is Avram Grant etc. All fans have distasteful songs about another club..I could go on! Seriously you sound so bitter. It's football and unfortunately there are a lot of tossers supporting a lot of clubs. Live with it, or be very very unhappy for the rest of your supporting life.

I can't defend any of the actions of Liverpool fans in heysel as was only 1 year old back then. Where was this about Liverpool robbing there own fans in Istanbul? What happened at Old Trafford in the cup-semi was a disgrace fair enough. I sound bitter ye too right having to listen too your so-called Johnny come lately's since 1993 banging on how they so much about football they don't have a clue about what happened with Utd before 93, singing the glory glory hunting brigade along through til now. Utd fans were so sickened, 3-0 Liverpool were down to Milan your fellow fans were dancing like the were in the final itself, after 65 mins where did they go back to their mammy's because they are just a bitter too in that case? As for Benitez been a hypocrite, the man speaks his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I cant understand why have such a thread, why are pool fans being singled out for their opinion.

Although if the shoe were on the other foot I rather see Pool beat Chelsea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement