Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Board to Buy (new thread!)

Options
  • 20-05-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Ive been surfing in Spanish Point and Lahinch, Co. clare for the last 8 years every summer, and have borrowed many surfboards, Bics and shortboards being the usual. I think it's time to finally take some decisive action, leave my poor friends alone and buy my own one!
    Should I get a Bic, and if so , which one would suit an above-beginner-not-quite-intermediate surfer to tackle fairly big swell?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Seeing as I sell boards this may be perceived as being biased but dont get a BIC board if you're already well practised..Ask any independent surfer not working in a shop and they will advice likewise..Heavy, cumbersome etc..

BIC have there merits, one sales angle you'll here is that even if comes off your roof it'll be fine..but how many boards come off roofs..What you want to look for is something to maximise your enjoyment and catching of waves..Something to paddle well, can get out past white wash with and catch waves as easily as possible..Maybe look at mini mals, longboards, funboards etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Disagree on bics. they're not as light and easy to turn as fibreglass/epoxy boards but still very surfable. If you're still a beginner don't get caught up with boards too much, if you've tried out BICs already you will have a fair idea. The 7"6 BIC may work for you, it's faster to turn and lighter than most BICs. I've got 5 boards all fibreglass bar the BIC, i love taking the BIC out every now and then, so easy to catch waves and turns pretty well for a 7"9'. Surfshops will make more money selling (fragile for beginners) fibreglass/epoxy boards to you than a BIC which is next to indestructible and will last 10 years no problem (with complete respect to the last poster).
    Thing is, a good surfer can surf anything, guys have surfed kitchen doors and the pioneers at the north shore surfed Redwood planks, Eddie included. Make things easy for yourself but don't worry too much once you can paddle it and catch waves for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Maybe compromise and get a standard mini mal that will still be very tough, but 2/3 the weight of a bic. One of those NSP epoxy minimals or whatever.
    Its all the same really at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Maybe compromise and get a standard mini mal that will still be very tough, but 2/3 the weight of a bic. One of those NSP epoxy minimals or whatever.

I see what you mean by that, but when Im surfing out past the whitewater on a big swell day I find a big difference between a Bic and a decent shortboard. the question is , is it worth investing in a better shortboard so that I can handle the bigger days, or is it better to just buy a 'safe' Bic and get the consistent everyday swell?
    it probably seems like a trivial matter but Id like to make sure Im buying something decent with my hard earned dollars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic viewpost.gif

I see what you mean by that, but when Im surfing out past the whitewater on a big swell day I find a big difference between a Bic and a decent shortboard. the question is , is it worth investing in a better shortboard so that I can handle the bigger days, or is it better to just buy a 'safe' Bic and get the consistent everyday swell?
    it probably seems like a trivial matter but Id like to make sure Im buying something decent with my hard earned dollars biggrin.gif

Minimals are great, wouldn't touch an NSP though. Had one, terrible and very easy to damage. Friend had same experience with a longer one.

If you're getting only one board it wouldn't make sense to buy a shortboard that you're only going to be using on the bigger days.
    You say you surf in the summer, there are very few large swells in ireland during the summer time. Autumn/winter is much better.
    Maximise your wave count with something larger and get better, in the mean time save some of those hard earned dollars :-) and get the shortboard, then you got options!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Ok then ill go try get something a bit bigger than what I had in mind, thanks

Advertisement