Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Making You Smile in Your Garden?

• 20-05-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Its that time of year, everything is blooming.

What do you look at in your garden, and think "Lovely" ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

We've got a peony rose that looks amazing. :) Our tulips are mostly gone, as are the crocuses and daffodils. Our large rose bush has loads of buds so this year looks like it will be a good one for the roses.

What really makes me smile though is the site of our fruit and veg section. Right now the potato shoots are about 4 inches above ground, our peas are climbing up the bamboo shoots and the tomato plants are shooting up. We also have a butternut squash planted and the leaves are growing bigger and bigger so that makes me smile too.

Some of the other stuff isn't really moving yet but so far things are looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've a lovely dark pink Rodedondron in my back garden, and it looks fantastic :) Its the same colour as my Azalea's in the front:

azalea-japonica.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Those Azaleas are gorgeous Abigayle, nice photo too (assuming its yours!).

I love peonies too r3nu4l, I have a big vase beside me now with huge (fake) peonies. I must look into getting a plant!

My pride and joy at the moment is an Acer, its just lovely, its a red variety that grows so much every year, that its always a surprise.

Edit: r3nu4l, whatever is working for the roses in Cambridge is working in Sligo too, I've got masses of buds aswell. Also the lavender is cracking right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭angelface2008

My Boronia heterophyllia,it didnt look very interesting until it flowered a couple of weeks ago,it has small bright pink heart shape flowers but its the scent that is so amazing!!Its like a mix of lavender and old fashioned flowers,its a real gem:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My wine coloured japanese acer which I have in a pot.
    My lilac tree, also in a pot, which smells beautiful this time of year.
    My purple iris flowered this week and my lily is about to.
    Hostas leaves are huge since the weekend.

• Advertisement

I want a lilac tree. In fact, I want all your lovely plants..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

My runner beans, which are doing a runner up the wires. If you turn your back on them, they're at your wallet, they're growing that fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My solanum is looking pretty goddam spectacular at the minute. I also have a black lace which stayed at about 1.5 ft for 2 years and grew to 7ft tall last summer. it's looking great just now too and I'm wondering what it's going to do next.:D

UB wrote: »
    My runner beans, which are doing a runner up the wires. If you turn your back on them, they're at your wallet, they're growing that fast.

lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Weeds, just looking at those weeds and how i am going to destroy them with my strimmer and flymo :D

Actually it's not that bad cuz most of em are allready gone but like those runner beans they miss home so much and return as qucik as they go .

Time to get the weed killer out to * sigh *:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Everything. I love this time of year when plants are bursting to go. My early spuds are doing nicely, sweet pea, clematis and jasmine racing up the fence, rhodos looking great, all's well with the world (except for the slugs:mad:).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

My Delphinium's are just coming into bloom. they are brill. Oh and my lillies are coming on strong too. I can't wait till they flower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭TOm Kelly

The two Brazilian Ladies who just moved in next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

sueme wrote: »
    Those Azaleas are gorgeous Abigayle, nice photo too (assuming its yours!).

Oh God no, that wasnt my pic! :o

I did go out to take a pic of them for you, but the light wasnt doing the colour justice, so I did a quick pic search to get the exact colour -et voila!

But Iam delighted with it, there are loads of flowers on it. Really cheers up the garden :)
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    My wine coloured japanese acer which I have in a pot.My lilac tree, also in a pot, which smells beautiful this time of year.

I love the delicate willowy-ness of the acer. Ive only really picked up gardening since we bought our home. I love lilac too, I thought it only came in little bush form :o

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Fifteen 10-year-olds playing football on the lawn all afternoon - now that makes me smile!

TOm Kelly wrote: »
    The two Brazilian Ladies who just moved in next door.

I've never heard of the "Brazilian Lady", it sounds lovely, is it perennial though?!

Abigayle wrote: »
    I love the delicate willowy-ness of the acer. Ive only really picked up gardening since we bought our home. I love lilac too, I thought it only came in little bush form :o

Google Image "Lilac tree". Fab.

Thats what I love about acers too, its like they dance in the wind. Apologies for the naffness but its true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

I moved house recently. Around the side of the house (beside the front door) there was a really overgrown shrub of some description.

As I was hacking it back I discovered a small lily that was all but dead as it hadn't been getting any light. Mrs BankMan's granny (who was called Lily) died last year, so I figured she'd be deligted (she was). My Granny (Rose) also died last year, so I figured I'd plant a rose beside the lily.

That was about 6 weeks ago, and they're both in bloom now and doing really really well. Every time I'm at the front door they give me a giggle, I can imagine the two of them leaning towards each other having a gossip !

Great thread BTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Two Swallow nests under a fire escape back of workplace. Baby beaks very visable as parents busy feeding and fending off staff and others on wing. Alas one fatality, fell out of nest. Cant wait to see fledglings take first flight. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My boys playing.
    The red-arsed bees all over the clematis.
    The ever-blossoming yellow "William" rose that you can smell from 3 metres away.
    The rabbits in the morning.
    The bats in the evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement