Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"95% of fatal accidents on normal roads"

Options
  • 20-05-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Incoming message from the department of the obvious: 95% of fatal road accidents happen on single carriageway roads.

who would have thunk it! :pac:

I think anyone with half a brain could tell you that most of our single-carriageway "primary" roads are much greater death traps than dual carriageways and motorways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Single-carriageway roads are most dangerous
    0000bd6010dr.jpg

And they show a dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

captain_obvious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

No point in putting cameras on the minor roads. Not enough cars to make money from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

No point in putting cameras on the minor roads. Not enough cars to make money from.

X2^

that and the limits are higher on some of them than the stretches of dual carriageway you see 95% of speedtraps on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I think any person with half a brain new all our deadly crashes happen on our pitful N (and worse) roads littered around the country. and not the motorways and dual carriage ways we have. most of these roads dont even have functioning cats eyes...

and it will continue to be like this, simply because we have appaling drivers.

If any one from Dublin who was used to city driving week in week out spent a month driving around the country then it would be apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I don't know why these idiots brought in the NCT when the roads are so bad.Its not the drivers, or the cars that are the problem its the roads themselves. but there is no money for Fianna Fail to be made from fixing roads, so they try to shift the blame to the cars and the people who drive them

There are a few terrible bad patches on the N72. and all they ever seem to do about it is get a few lads to shovel in a few loose pebbles. as if that's going to fix anything

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

towel401 wrote: »
    I don't know why these idiots brought in the NCT when the roads are so bad.Its not the drivers, or the cars that are the problem its the roads themselves.
    Care to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I don't know why these idiots brought in the NCT when the roads are so bad.Its not the drivers, or the cars that are the problem its the roads themselves. but there is no money for Fianna Fail to be made from fixing roads, so they try to shift the blame to the cars and the people who drive them

Bullpoo!

Unless these road upgrades you dream of involved removing all bends, junctions and traffic lights, and putting a roof over them to keep the rain off, there is no way it would make the roads safer than removing some of the death traps the NCT has got off the roads.

God knows there are enough VAG cars with blown bulbs and fools driving on motorways on space saver spares in between tests as it is. What would it be like if they didn't have to buy a tyre or a couple of bulbs once every two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't know why these idiots brought in the NCT when the roads are so bad.Its not the drivers, or the cars that are the problem its the roads themselves.

In fairness man, you can't seriously think that its just the roads to blame? There are some seriously stupid/dangerous drivers out there. Although I do agree with you on the NCT front to some degree though. If our cars have to go through a rigorous test to make sure they're safe to be on the roads, shouldn't our roads have to go though a rigorous test to make sure they're safe to hold cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Its not the drivers, or the cars that are the problem its the roads themselves.

I disagree. At the end of the day its driver behaviour that will cause the majority of accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

I don't believe that our poor roads are to blame, but they do compound the lact of driver education and common sense to compensate for the road conditions presented to them.

I believe that there are no guidlines for the upkeep of establshed roads, only regulations for the construction of new roadways.

For example the road outside my house developed a few craters at the start of the year and some people complained to get them repaired. The repairs involved a JCB with a bucket full of hardcore and a guy walking along side throwing a few shovelfulls into the holes.

Then, on rural/secondary road there is no edging so the road starts to degrade badly, resulting in you losing a foot or two of road witdth on each side.

Then other hazards like this are just ridiculous, I passed this section of road a few hours later in the dark and you were right on top of the muck before you could see it, a bit of rain and you have a very slippery road with an 80km/h limit on a straight section usually where you are capable of driving up to the limit.

photo2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

moleyC wrote: »
    I don't believe that our poor roads are to blame, but they do compound the lact of driver education and common sense to compensate for the road conditions presented to them.

I believe that there are no guidlines for the upkeep of establshed roads, only regulations for the construction of new roadways.

For example the road outside my house developed a few craters at the start of the year and some people complained to get them repaired. The repairs involved a JCB with a bucket full of hardcore and a guy walking along side throwing a few shovelfulls into the holes.

Then, on rural/secondary road there is no edging so the road starts to degrade badly, resulting in you losing a foot or two of road witdth on each side.

Then other hazards like this are just ridiculous, I passed this section of road a few hours later in the dark and you were right on top of the muck before you could see it, a bit of rain and you have a very slippery road with an 80km/h limit on a straight section usually where you are capable of driving up to the limit.

photo2.jpg

Report that place to your local council. It looks like an exit from something so the owner is responsible for cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

D_murph wrote: »
    X2^

that and the limits are higher on some of them than the stretches of dual carriageway you see 95% of speedtraps on :rolleyes:

The limits issue gets me. On the N9 Waterford to Dublin road (a single cariageway each way but quite wide) there is a 60k limit on one of several sections. Leading off one such is a narrow lane up a hill, about a car width, with grass flourishing up the centre of it. It has an 80 k limit sign at it's entrance. OK, I know it's simply the national secondary roads limit, but I wonder if the guys who put the sign up saw the funny side of it too?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement