Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biodiesel

Options
  • 20-05-2008 5:44pm

Anyone have any experience of using this in their car?
    Where can it be found? Ive heard Portlaoise and somewhere in North Wicklow
    oh and I saw a sign for a place on the Dublin road just outside of Kilkenny.

Do we have a biodiesel fuel standard here? Is the fuel ok?
    I ask because badly made bio can kill a car within a few yards of leaving a forecourt!

Oh and specific locations of biodiesel suppliers would be cool!

Is it any cheaper then normal diesel ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There has been a few threads on this previously http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&&q=Biodiesel+site%3Aboards.ie If you have a read through them most of the answers will be there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

my dad douglas Ffrench Mullen used to run eilish oils before glanbia i THINK took them over and now he no longer does it

he runs his on a mix of ethenol and something else and it works a charm but it REALLY does depend on your car

like i had a 01 astra van and it ran on Pure Vege oil and converted vege oil and there was NO problems whats so ever .. then we got a 03 or 04 astra van and it hates running on Vegie oil or the Ethenol stuff so its basically running on Diesel now

www.eilishoils.com/ <--- check that site out for more info
    or if your still interested i can get more information of my dad or give him your number and he can ring u

thanks but Ive been through loads and cant find the info Im looking for
    Lots of confusion on some of those threads. Some people even mistake running a vehicle on biodiesel as the same thingas running it on straight vegetable oil!
    Lots of the discussion on the links are about making your own biodiesel

Im looking for service stations that sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

hey

I have/had the number of a crowd of guys in Kilbegan who professionally manufacture the stuff. Got the number of a friend of a friend a year back and they told me they sell in minimum quantity of 1000 litres at 75cent a litre, which wasnt bad at the time.

Our company currently runs 3 vans and a car and regular diesel is costing us about 1300ex vat a month at present. I think i may dig out the number again and see what they have to offer.

As far as fuel stations are concerned, if you find any in west of ireland, give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Biodisel (as opposed to veg oil) is the work of the devil !

It is a very effective detergent and highly corrosive to plastic and rubber.

Cars that have been run on biodiesel have a history of blowing seals and tubes all over the place.

Injection pumps that have been fine for years suddenly start pissing diesel, fuel lines start to leak, etc, etc ...the end result is a very costly re-build of the whole fuel system (and if bits of seal or rubber found their way into your engine, possible your injectors and/or engine as well)

The advice is to stay well clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

peasant wrote: »

Cars that have been run on biodiesel have a history of blowing seals and tubes all over the place.

Injection pumps that have been fine for years suddenly start pissing diesel, fuel lines start to leak, etc, etc ...the end result is a very costly re-build of the whole fuel system (and if bits of seal or rubber found their way into your engine, possible your injectors and/or engine as well)

wow, never knew any of that. I have a transit van im looking to kill, might horse some biodiesel into it , see what happens!!
    Cant be any worse than the bleeping shyt ford call diesel pumps! (3 vans + 2 years + 5 diesel pumps = 11,000:mad:

peasant wrote: »

Thats from badly manufactured biodiesel. The problems are caused by excessive acid during refinement.

Thats why Im looking for somewhere reputable that sells it and am wondering about a legal fuel standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i don't know if this is true for cars but there are a good few stand-alone diesel engines and even a few gas turbines that are actually designed to run on biodiesel. with the level of greenwashing going on these days there are probably a few cars like that around too. anything made in the kind of late 90's / early 00's appears to not run very well on the stuff

Do you mean vegetable oil or biodiesel?
    Biodiesel will be the exact same as diesel IF MADE CORRECTLY
    In fact it has better lubricating properties and has less emissions
    and doesnt smell of sulphur

Advertisement