Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas cylinder type for BBQ

Options
  • 20-05-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I have an old BBQ and I am using Calorgas Butane. I just bought a new BBQ and it came with a Propane regulator. As the Butane cyllinder for my old BBQ is still quite full, can I use my Butane on the new BBQ (Sahara 2 Burner Roaster) ?? Thanks Boardies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

IIRC, Propane and butane gas regulators are not interchangeable - they will only fit the appropriate bottle. Also they regulate the flow of gas at different rates. Look at the numbers on top of the regulator to see the difference. If you were able to connect the butane regulator to the new bbq, the flow rate may affect the performance, ie flames too high or too low. Beyond that, I don't know of any safety issues, but I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yeah the regulators are different as they are rated for different pressures. The connectors are therefore very different, so just a question of changing regs. I don't see why the BBQ can't run on either.??

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Hi Batman,

As far as I know.. you can use both Butane and Propane with the BBQ .. ya just need the correct regulator for each gas cylinder.

I think ideally propane is the gas your meant to use on a bbq... but it can be hard sometime to pick up the cylinder especially if your in the sticks like me.

Butane burns at a higher tempeture than the propane ( dont take this as gospel .. i was told this from someone..so it may be incorrect)

Anyway... I used butane on my BBQ since day dot...no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronali

Looking at buying a Sahara BBQ in Woodies, are they any good. They seem good value in comparison to Webber ( I know they are the king, but expensive). Anyone got a Sahara and are happy/not happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I love my Saraha, they are very good, my only regret is not getting a 3 burner !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronali

Thanks Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I bought a Saraha a few months ago, its great, and yes I too wish I want for a 3 burner over the two burner. That said I was in Woodies in Bray yesterday and I'm pretty sure I saw a 2 burner in green paint finish for €149. I paid about €250 for mine in stainless steel finish (Roaster) in May, which the tag said was reduced from €399 at the time. Only problem I've noticed is that on the flat cooking surface some of the porcelain enamel has started to chip off already. We have only ever used plastic implements on it, I'm not sure if that's normal, they are very sharp shards.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

Hi all,
    im going to revive this thread now as it seems to be only one thats talking about this.

I recently got a lovely gift of a rather fancy gas barbeque for my birthday with regulator and all.

I got an old (yet full) gas bottle from my dad but the regulator will not fit it,

Attached are images of the gas bottle and top.. can anyone tell me what regulator will fit this bottle, do they even make them anymore?

All help greatly appreciated as i am trying to save myself the €60 for a new bottle.

http://tinypic.com/r/2w4mxp2/7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Looks like a standard gas bottle to me, so one of these regulators will do the trick. Any hardware store would have them.http://www.thegascompany.ie/iopen24/bottle-regulator-connecting-appliance-bottle-cylinders-p-968274.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 David J Walsh

Should I use propane or butane on my BBQ. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Should I use propane or butane on my BBQ. Thanks in advance.

Propane.

Advertisement