Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey on soothers

Options
  • 20-05-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all!
    Question - What are your views on putting honey on soothers? Is it safe for babies under 6 months and does it potentially lead to problems i.e. sweet tooth and things like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

MILF wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Question - What are your views on putting honey on soothers? Is it safe for babies under 6 months and does it potentially lead to problems i.e. sweet tooth and things like that?

Why would you bother? I wouldn't, babies don't need sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

I'm only asking cos I saw a lady yesterday doing it while I was in a lift with her and I can't decide whether or not I agree with it or whether there's anything wrong with it at all. Mind you, she did it cos her child was looking like he was about to scream bloody murder so in that respect I deffo dont agree with it to keep them quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

MILF wrote: »
    I'm only asking cos I saw a lady yesterday doing it while I was in a lift with her and I can't decide whether or not I agree with it or whether there's anything wrong with it at all. Mind you, she did it cos her child was looking like he was about to scream bloody murder so in that respect I deffo dont agree with it to keep them quiet!

I'm sure I read something before that said that babies couldn't digest honey? I definitely don't agree with giving babies sweet food to shut them up or soothe them, it could cause them to associate food with comfort and lead them to be comfort eaters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seems a bit OTT to me. The soother's supposed to soothe. Sugar on top...well...just seems a bit OTT, but not the end of the world or anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

There is a tiny chance of an allergic reaction in children under 1 if they are given honey. but like was said earlier why on earth would anyone want to give honey or sugar to a baby? My 3yr old didn't taste it until he was well over 18months and doesn't crave it now and loves his fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

This is a really old fashioned practice. Was given soother dipped in jam myself (HATE jam now, but love chocolate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

perhaps the baby had a sore throat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I cannot understand why anyone would do this.
    I know all the packaging with the dummies states not to dip them in anything, I think it says more about the fact that the woman in question was not able to calm her child and was more worried about how other people would perceive her, than she was about her childs welfare.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Yes she definately looked like she was mortified at the fact that we were in such an enclosed space and her child was about to have a fit. I wasn't aware of there being such risks associated with honey - I always thought honey was a good thing for illnesses and things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

There is only a tiny risk and its only in babies under 12 months. In fact honey is the only food in the world that will not go off. It is fantastic for sore throats, stomach upsets, wound healing, ulcers and many more things. Manuka honey is said to be the best honey to use for healing purposes, whereas your local honey is best to use in treating hay fever. A spoonful of your local honey a day starting the month before hayfever season is said to reduce the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

Honey is not supposed to be given to under ones (unless pasturised) due to a small risk of Botulism.

Apologies for spelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Infant botulism
    honey can cause infant botulism. Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. When ingested by infants, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism, a rare and serious form of food poisoning. For this reason, infants under 12 months of age should never be fed honey.

Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Most babies with infant botulism, however, do recover. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

* Persistent constipation
    * Floppy arms, legs and neck
    * Weak cry due to muscle weakness
    * Weak sucking and poor feeding
    * Tired all the time (lethargy)
    * Difficulty breathing

Botulism spores may also be found in low-acid home-canned foods and corn syrup. For this reason, you should avoid feeding these foods to infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anything sugary or acidic (juices) on a soother, or in a bottle is really bad for teeth as the sugars will remain in the mouth for a long time, as opposed to a sweet which is eaten and then (mostly) gone.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree that its a bad idea. Its putting sugary stuff in contact with the teeth for longer periods than if its just eaten, Id imagine, and its also giving the child the habit of having something sweet, which is totally unneccesary. I cant see the need for it at all, the dummy does the pacifying without anything added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

My granddad used to do it to my soother when he used to mind me. Drove my mother crazy though! Never did me any harm. My top set of teeth are not perfect but whats to say that the two are linked!? Who knows! But I can tell you that I have Never had any cavities yet and im 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Its not a good idea to put anything sugary (or anything at all) on a child's soother because of the risk of dental decay.

Advertisement