Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What job is worthwhile experience before beginning training?

• 20-05-2008 6:51pm

Right, here goes.
    I'm about to pass most of my exams to get an Ordinary Degree in Manufacturing Engineering. However, due to failings on my part there are 3 exams which will have to be repeated next year. Those 3 subjects can be repeated on a part-time basis, which means I can work full-time for the next 12 months.

I'm considering applying to begin Accountancy training once I've graduated with my Ord. Degree in 2009. I understand that to do so I would have to apply to a registered practice or business. What roles should I look for in the jobs market? Which roles will help me gain experience enough that would make me more employable? I'm thinking office admin, but I would prefer to number-crunch for the year, to keep my mind current.

Any suggestions?

Am I out of my league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Maybe banking. I'd just like to make a note that if you are planning on going into accounting, you might want to take into consideration that it will be impossible to train at the medium to larger firms because they require an honours degree. You shouldn't have trouble with the smaller firms though.

As for work, you might want to think about banking, even a teller position. You would gain experience in a variety of areas that are of interest to accounting firms. Check out some of the firms website, the larger firms will have more info about what they look for in an applicant. This will give you an idea of what kind of job would be helpful.

Good luck. Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How good are you college careers department? Maybe consult with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Definately banking! try get into business banking if you can to familiarise yourself in the terminology.

I worked for a company that provides invoice discounting so I gained alot of business exposure that way.

OK, Now I'm wondering if the School-leaver-with experience route is open to me.

To be perfectly honest if I have to leave the ord. degree unfinished, so be it. I just want to get started as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Well, you can always do that. I don't know which accountancy body you plan to go through, but the best thing would be to look check out the CPA, ICAI, and ACCA websites to see your options for school-leaver. Also, I now the ICAI has a list of approved firms, which also states if those firms are willing to take people through the school-leaver route. You can give those places a ring. You can also do the technician part first if you are having issues. I believe both e ICAI and the ACCA provide that route.

Whether you wish to finish you degree or not is up to you. If you really want to be an accountant and can go the school-leaver route, then I don't see an issue with finishing your degree, at least not right now. You need to think about the future as well. Will you regret not finishing this degree? Only you can answer that question. But all the information is out there for the school-leaver option.

Best of luck. If you have any more questions, especially specific ones, just post them.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

You would be mad to not finish out your degree.... where would you be if you hated your job as accountant!

Why not repeat the subjects full time and come out with the maximum grad you can and then apply for a training post? Dont waste the time you've spent in college.Take the opportunity you have to finish it out.

Do you mind can I just ask how old you are.... if youre still in college you must be about 21/22?? You still have plenty of time to go for accountancy.

How long would it take to complete the Enginerring Honours degree... is it one extra year? you could do that and then apply for the Post Grad Diploma and Accountancy which requires a min 2.2 Hons Degree. Im raging I didnt do this course straight after my degree.
    http://www.dit.ie/DIT/business/accountingfinance/doc/brochurepgdacc.doc
    ... this is structured for non-business/accounting graduates and give exemptions for:

ACA all CAP1
    ACCA Papers F1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9;
    Cpa Formation 1 all papers, Formation 2 Papers 1, 2 and 4 And prof paper 1 and 4

Whatever you decide to do in the end dont quit the degree you will definately regret it

**** sorry had to repost as it wouldnt let me edit for some reason??? ****

You would be mad to not finish out your degree.... where would you be if you hated your job as accountant!

Why not repeat the subjects full time and come out with the maximum grad you can and then apply for a training post? Dont waste the time you've spent in college.Take the opportunity you have to finish it out.
    Do you mind can I just ask how old you are.... if youre still in college you must be about 21/22?? You still have plenty of time to go for accountancy.
    Plus is you go for an ICAI school leaver training post its 5yrs to qualify!

If I were you ...; you dont have to agree with me.... I would finish the ordinary degree full time... then complete the hons degree... (1 or 2yrs?) then apply for the 1year full time post grad diploma in accountancy in dit (requires min 2.2 hons degree)
    So in 3yras you will have gain and ordinary degree...n hons degree... and a post grad diploma in accountancy with huge exemptions!

Im raging I didnt do then post grad straight after my degree as the exemptions are brilliant.
    http://www.dit.ie/DIT/business/accountingfinance/doc/brochurepgdacc.doc
    ... this is structured for non-business/accounting graduates and give exemptions for:

ACA all CAP1
    ACCA Papers F1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9;
    Cpa Formation 1 all papers, Formation 2 Papers 1, 2 and 4 And prof paper 1 and 4

Whatever you decide to do in the end dont quit the degree you will definately regret it

Advertisement