Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

log book on used car

Options
  • 20-05-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi i recently bought a new second hand car from a garage.the day i bought the car the log book was with the owner who was out at buisness. i rang him and he said drop up the next day. he rang me the following morning to say he posted off to wherever they go and i should recieve it soon (is this right?)that was 2 months ago . the car had no tax when i bought it so im driving around with no tax. can you get tax for the first time on the car without proving you own it and if it hasnt been taxed for a while how do i prove i just bought it thx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

he shouldn't have signed the registration cert on your behalf. get him to ring the dept. of the Environment in Shannon, the number is 061 365000. and track the change of ownership. sometimes delays occur.

My guess is he didn't send it off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »

My guess is he didn't send it off though!

Ya I would say that too. sometimes the log books get lost if car is passed around a few traders before it sells.

Chase him up but if not successful there is a form you can fill out claiming ownership. It involves getting a garage to stamp that the car is what it says it is and also a garda stamp I think. you will then be issued with your logbook

Advertisement