Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What causes a motorbike to seize ??

• 20-05-2008 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

I only ride a scooter myself at the moment but I hope to get a motorbike later this year, a 125cc ,nothing special. But I'm wondering the cause of Joey Dunlop's accident " Dunlop's bike appeared to seize ". How does that happen ?? Is it the gears getting jammed ? Didn't the same happen to Martin Finnegan, how does this happen, I would have thought that their bikes would be so precisely tuned it shouldn't happen. Can this happen easily with an ordinary motorbike ?

( I know I have asked several questions in this post, but I am very curious ).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

I haven't heard the exact cause of Robert Dunlop's crash but I wouldn't worry too much about general road bikes as they are not set up in any way like a racing bike.

I would suggest that it is because racing bikes are tuned so highly so as to run at the absolute maximum limit of their capability that they are more likely to fail. They rev higher than reguler bikes, and the stress levels on all the components is far higher. Add that to the fact that the racing engines are sometimes built using lighter parts just to keep the bike's weight down, means that the whole thing is generally more brittle. Regular road bikes are designed to run well within their limits and indeed some bikes like some cars have electronic gizmos to limit the revs etc just to avoid stressing the engine.

I imagine the biggest risk of an engine seizing on a road bike is if you forget to fill it with oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

One can lock the rear wheel by any number of mistakes...apart from braking, you could shift down to too low a gear before releasing the clutch. If you were leaning in a bend at the time the results could be nasty.

A full engine seize is extremely rare and as said above, shouln't happen on a road bike unless you let it run out of oil. I saw a Peugeot 306 come round the bend towards me yesterday with a lot of smoke billowing out to which I remarked "looks like he's got oil leaking onto the exhaust" (I presumed he'd spilled some on filling it up) and as he passed I saw a streak of oil on the road shortly coming across his oil filter sitting in the middle of the road and clean road beyond! Hope he realised and stopped in time or he'd have had a seizure.

Advertisement