Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What car did your dad drive...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The reg makes it a late october,early november 82 dublin reg car,there used to be loads of those carinas around, a neighbour of mine had one,but the have totally dissapeared now!!I havent seen that shape one for years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

First car I can remember my parents having is a Mk 1 Ford Fiesta in yellow.
    It was a nippy little thing. :)
    I saw one the same at the Terenure show last year, very nice! :cool:

Other cars (I remember) include;

Opel Rekord E Saloon in bright green
    Opel Rekord E Estate in red(although I don't think he drove this, just used it for parts)
    Opel Ascona C Diesel Saloon in gold (I think it was an '85?)
    Opel Vectra B 1.6 Saloon in Green ('95)
    Opel Meriva 1.4 in black

I'm sure there were many more, but I can't remember them. :p
    As you can see he really liked Opels. lol

Apparently his first car was an Austin A-40 Somerset. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I have fond memories pushing my dad's Fiat Ritmo Strada down the road every morning. It was great exercise but I never figured out how he got home at night. Visions of his boss pushing him down the road. :)

6033715759a7503226235ml.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

The reg makes it a late october,early november 82 dublin reg car,there used to be loads of those carinas around, a neighbour of mine had one,but the have totally dissapeared now!!I havent seen that shape one for years!!

Your knowledge of the old reg system is impressive! How do you remember the actual months? :) i remember a few of the years for Dublin; GZS - '84, ZG - '85, SI - '86..., but didn't know they were broken down into months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

hyundai santa fei, black, with cream leather seats. so much nicer than my 98 ford ka..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

std_1969_Vauxhall_Viva_Estate_-LF-4.jpg

....Vauxhall Viva Estate. And it broke down. On my first holy 'munion and all :eek: ....but we loved it. Some perverse masochistic love it was, but we did... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

of the cars i can remember since I was born we had
    circa 81/82 Toyota Corolla estate.
    '84 Datsun violet (Completely rotted..interior was particularly nice royal blue colour though)
    '86 Opel Ascona (always cut out when going through floods)
    '87 Mitsubishi Galant (nice car but underpowered...wrecked the clutch on it towing stuff)
    '90 Peugeot 405 GR (Fast Car..well by my dads standards :) )
    '92 Mazda 626 GLX (Well Specced..it was 1992:D )
    '98 Mazda 626 (Very dull car Fords influence was all over it)
    His current car is a '97 BMW 523i

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Your knowledge of the old reg system is impressive! How do you remember the actual months? :) i remember a few of the years for Dublin; GZS - '84, ZG - '85, SI - '86..., but didn't know they were broken down into months

GZS wasnt for all of 1984, it lasted for about a week and a half in july 84!!
    Alot of people think the old codes were for years,but they just lasted until they ran out,FZS***,GZS***,HZS***,were all used in july 84,with overlap into the months before and after.
    SI**** lasted from the last few days in january 1986 to april,
    ZG**** was from april86 to july86,lots of cars registered in dublin even then!!

It was mainly due to dublin running out of codes that the system was overhauled in 87,SI,ZG,ZS were used near the end as dublin had used up all of its original allocations from back in the day(Alot of different codes!!)
    ZV**** was to follow ZS but becase ZS wasnt used up at the time of the changeover they used the ZV code for vintage registrations instead.

Dingatron wrote: »
    I have fond memories pushing my dad's Fiat Ritmo Strada down the road every morning. It was great exercise but I never figured out how he got home at night. Visions of his boss pushing him down the road. :)

6033715759a7503226235ml.jpg
    Is that the actual car?What was the reg?Ritmos are totally obsolete now these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Here's what my dad had (with years we had them):
    '85 - Ford Cortina Mk. V (England)
    '87 - Vauxhall Cavalier Mk. I (Scotland, remember it getting towed away lol)
    '87/'88 - Ford Cortina Mk. IV (Scotland)
    '89 - Moved to Saudi and had no car of our own, but there were company cars we used including a Peugeot 305 estate, a Nissan Patrol and a Hiace minibus (loads of yank tanks over there - most the taxis were Caprice Classics and our neighbour had a Corvette)
    '91 - Mazda 323 1.5 GLX estate (a new car, still in Saudi so had aircon but also an annoying bell that would go off when you went over 120km/h, reg was 3369508)
    '93 - 1983 Ford Capri 1.6 LS (back in England, KYD940Y)

My parents separated soon after that and my mother doesn't drive, so we had nothing (!!!) until I got a '98 Fiesta 1.3 (yeah the crappy pushrod one) a couple of years ago. I think the first car my dad had was a Datsun 120Y or 140Y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Is that the actual car?What was the reg?Ritmos are totally obsolete now these days!

Nah that car has long gone to the junk yard in the sky. The one in the picture was in far better nick. It was blue with 'go fast' stripes holding the rust together! :D

I think the first car my dad had was a Datsun 120Y or 140Y.
    This is a 140J(there was no 140Y)Also called the violet.
    183700199_e7621a1c08.jpg?v=0
    And the 120Y(sunny)3495111.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The 140Y did exist - it was the 1.4 litre version AFAIK. There seems to be a few in the UK so I guess they were sold there at least. I dunno exactly what he had though (this was before I was born).

The 140Y did exist - it was the 1.4 litre version AFAIK. There seems to be a few in the UK so I guess they were sold there at least. I dunno exactly what he had though (this was before I was born).
    Oh, i stand corrected, i must research said car!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

This is a 140J(there was no 140Y)Also called the violet.
    183700199_e7621a1c08.jpg?v=0
    QUOTE]

My dad had one of these with the same colour scheme.. as i've said it fell apart with rust:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I asked my father the other day what his first car was, and it was a late 70's Toyota Starlet (model with the round headlights). Fell to bits with rust apparently. It was replaced by a Fiesta (he wasn't sure of the year of it though), but it was the Mk1 model anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My neighbour had a Datsun like the pic above, remember it well only because he used interior wall paint (bright green) on it, out there one day with a roller and paint brush, I kid you not. :)

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I asked my father the other day what his first car was, and it was a late 70's Toyota Starlet (model with the round headlights). Fell to bits with rust apparently. It was replaced by a Fiesta (he wasn't sure of the year of it though), but it was the Mk1 model anyway.
    Yeh,my uncle had a starlet just like that,same story,it was so rusty i could sit in the back and put my hand out through the lower quarter panel onto the road,not a word of a lie!!
    I always thought this version much better looking than the square front version that came after it in the early 80s
    P6-7.jpg
    The mk1 fiesta was a great car,much better than the mk2 that replaced it
    800px-Ford_Fiesta_MK1_front_20071023.jpg

Ruu wrote: »
    My neighbour had a Datsun like the pic above, remember it well only because he used interior wall paint (bright green) on it, out there one day with a roller and paint brush, I kid you not. :)
    Im not surprised, i had a beetle years ago that i bought with the old man to restore(it was far too far gone!!)and the front wings were held togther with biscuit tins,filler and bits of copper tanks,it took a bit of work for the guy to do what he did!!:DI still have the 'pan in the shed though!!

He had a Mk2 only a few years ago (it was one of the first cars I ever drove, I think I mentioned that before in this thread). Wasn't a bad car to be honest. At least they didn't rust as badly as the Mk3.

• Advertisement

He had a Mk2 only a few years ago (it was one of the first cars I ever drove, I think I mentioned that before in this thread). Wasn't a bad car to be honest. At least they didn't rust as badly as the Mk3.
    I probably shouldnt mention here but me and a few friends thrashed the daylights out of an 88 mk2 last year in a field, it held up quite well untill an engine mount broke:D:P

Ever consider doing this to a car in a field? :D

Haha,looks like loadsa fun!!!
    Hers what a mk2 fiesta looks like when hit hard by something big!!
    crashzq3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

I think this car..
    183720343_ea54e3b5b6.jpg?v=0
    has an izuzu piazza turbo engine in it(the kadett,chevette and piazza shared the same floorpan)must make for entertaining driving!!

^ Holden badge?

^ Holden badge?
    hmmmm....nicely spotted Mr damage,looks like theres something even more fun going on under that bonnet, i must be mistaking it for a retro cars feature car a few years back...:pac:

I know its slightly(!) off topic but while i was searching for pics of that retro cars feature car i came across this,check out the amount of metalwork that this guy is doing to his car...
    http://www.chevettes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11377
    Incredible...

Getting back on topic,my old man also had one of these in blue..
    anglia2.jpg
    It ended up as in the bog as a turf store!!

He also had one of these,in the same colour,my mother turned it up on its side when she was learning to drive!!:D
    224813963_0b1f37c946.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

Just found this thread and thought I'd contribute my 2c....!

When I was born, my dad was driving a bubble car (Henkel) - just enough room for himself, mum and me (the firstborn!). Needless to say it had to be upgraded pretty quickly!

Next one I remember was a Ford Popular - I always remember it as the car that looked exactly like a child's drawing of a car! You know, the rectangular shape with wheels attached

Then we had a green mini (not racing green, more of a lime green), a VW beetle, a Morris Minor (wonder did my Dad realise he drove classics!!), and an Opel Kadett Estate. I think we had a Ford Anglia sometime too! It certainly looks familiar from the pic!

Here's a pic of a popular from Mosney Car show earlier this year - (ours was black)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

the earliest ones i remember my da driving were,a morris minor van,hillman minx,mark1 cortina and a fiat 1100:)

Advertisement