Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onur Air

Options
  • 20-05-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

My parents are flying with this Turkish airline in less than a fortnights time from Cork to Turkey so I decided to do a little reading on what they are and of course their fleet.

To my surprise they were once banned from flying in Germany and Den,ark too.

Has anyone any more knowledge of them? The holiday package the flights are part of is being done by Sunworld so I assume they'd have reputable airlines but....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Incidents and accidents

* Onur Air was temporarily suspended from taking off or landing in France, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany for alleged safety breaches and the alleged need to tighten security standards. The airline denies all allegations, but 40,000 passengers were left grounded as a result. Talks were held with the Dutch aviation authorities. After the airline and the Dutch aviation authorities reached an agreement, the ban was lifted and the airline was allowed to fly to the Netherlands again. Onur Air has threatened to sue the Dutch government because of alleged losses after its banishment, estimating their loss is at least 60 million euro of which they will claim €15 million. The Dutch government refused to reimburse them and questioned whether Onur Air has taken the banishment seriously and reviewed the safety of their aircraft. On October 29, 2007, the final court ruled that, although on false grounds, the temporary suspension was legal, and Onur Air was to receive no compensation.
    * On July 18, 2006 there was an incident where the tail of an Airbus A 321 aircraft hit the runway during landing, damaging the pressurized passenger cabin.
    * On August 10, 2006 there was an incident on the flight from Paris to Bodrum, reportedly a window in the cockpit suffered a malfunction. As a result the plane flew at reduced altitude for over 2 hours and was re-routed to Istanbul.
    * On 15 September 2006, a pilot refused to fly an Onur Air flight, telling passengers that the plane was unsafe. This led to a reported 'mini-riot' on the plane.
    * On January 1, 2007 an incident occurred whereby the cargo hold door of a McDonnell Douglas MD-88 aircraft burst open during flight. This was caused by a rapid depressurisation in the cabin. Luggage spilled onto the Runway when it touched down at Istanbul.
    * On September 7, 2007 An Airbus A 321 aircraft lost cabin pressure on a Dalaman-Birmingham flight and the plane had to make an emergency landing to Istanbul airport. Passengers also reported smoke coming from the left engine as it landed at Istanbul. Some passengers claim that their air masks on A321 did not work and one passenger kept a piece of one that had fallen apart completely. Onur Air failed to make any explanation to passengers.

* On May 1, 2008 An Onur Air, aircraft taking off from Antalya, had to make an emergency landing. Shortly after liftoff, passengers reported an loud noise and the aircraft proceeded to fall, instead of taking off. The pilot dumped the aircraft's fuel over water, and went back to Antalya for an emergency landing. No one was hurt in the incident, but several passengers was treated for emotional distress. The aircraft had 166 passengers, mainly Danish turists on the way home.

Fleet
    Airbus A321 landing at Düsseldorf Airport (2003)
    Airbus A321 landing at Düsseldorf Airport (2003)

The Onur Air fleet includes the following aircraft (at March 2008):

* 5 Airbus A300-600R (three aircraft are operated for Saudi Arabian Airlines)
    * 2 Airbus A300B4-200
    * 1 Airbus A320-200
    * 2 Airbus A321-100
    * 6 Airbus A321-200 (two aircraft are operated for Saudi Arabian Airlines and one aircraft is operated for BH Air)
    * 1 McDonnell Douglas MD-82 (which is operated by Bestair)
    * 4 McDonnell Douglas MD-83
    * 5 McDonnell Douglas MD-88

As of March 2008, the average age of the Onur Air fleet is 13.4 years

....but thats all I know!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Read that on wikipedia...I think! Erra they'll be fine...I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ya, I got it off wikipedia!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I flew with them once before, found space on board to be of a very high premium!!! There wasn't much space between rows (As expected, after all it is a budget airline).

The return leg of the journey was a disaster, we had a 7 hour delay and apparently this is a regular occurance with the return leg Izmir to Dublin. The fleet is old, i was worried too when i read about their infamous aviation records but we didn't have any problems with the flights themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Flew with this crowd once before to Antalya 2 years ago. Flying with them again in July.............:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

"the aircraft proceeded to fall, instead of taking off"

erm, lol?

Advertisement