Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday lunch with a toddler?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 8:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend anywhere in Limerick city or county that is good for sunday lunch for a group that also includes a 3yr old? Its been a long time since I've eaten out on a sunday and would love some guidance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The Greenhills does a nice carvary and it's very family friendly, there's always kids out there on a sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah id recommend the Greenhills, good sunday lunch and there are usually kids about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Unicorn out by the Regional Hospital, does a nice Sunday carvery lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Unicorn out by the Regional Hospital, does a nice Sunday carvery lunch too.

Unreal food there. I have eaten in most of the places around that
    area and got to say nothing quite beats the Unicorn for me.
    My girlfriend an me have got into the habit of walking down there
    for lunch on a Sunday.

The Indian?? chef I dont think Likes me cos everytime I go in
    he never asks me if I want Garlic Potatoes!!!!! and I love them.!!!
    I always end up asking for some and he gives me a tiny tiny amount.

When I look at the people before me, my girlfriend and the people behind me
    he always ASKS if they want garlic potatoes but as soon as I am in front of him for some bizarre reason he never asks me if I want some and always never puts any on the plate until I specifically ask him too. Totally weird
    and out of all the things his Garlic spuds are wicked!!!!

NB The owners son Brian Green was in some of my classes in School in the 90's and has taken over
    running the Unicorn. I have noticed whenever he is present! the prices of the Lunch appear to increase
    about a Euro! Maybe they charge for the my-wadi when he is about but not when he is not there.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Absolute hotel do a great Sunday lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bullets wrote: »

NB The owners son Brian Green was in some of my classes in School in the 90's and has taken over
    running the Unicorn. I have noticed whenever he is present! the prices of the Lunch appear to increase
    about a Euro! Maybe they charge for the my-wadi when he is about but not when he is not there.

~B

dont they own the greenhills too.. yes both places are v good.. finnegans out the dub road is a nice choice too real family atmosphere on a sun afternoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭CraftySue

Have taken my 3 year old a number of times to Luigi Malones, and have always found them very child friendly - colouring crayons and paper, they always make sure he's sorted with food first, and staff always treat him as if they are happy to see him, rather than a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

I have to disagree with the praise for Luigi Malones. I used to be a big fan of this place and spent a lot of time there last summer and autumn but lately I have not been impressed. One day when I asked for crayons and paper I was told that they had no paper. This was fine and I explained to my 3 year old that they had no paper and she was happy enough until they placed another child sitting beside us and gave that child paper and crayons. This was coupled with a risotto that wasn't very nice. I didn't bother going back until last night and while we did get our paper and crayons this time, it took them half an hour to bring the food which was a bit much as it was only burgers, and then forgot our drinks. The plates were cold and the food very disappointing. When you are trying to keep a 3 yr old and a one and a half year old amused a half hour can seem like a lifetime. I had just decided I would never darken the door again when I went to pay and was asked was everything alright. When I said it wasn't I wasn't charged for my meal which was good but I would still be reluctant to go back. I don't know what happened since last year but there has definitely been a change in management or something because the food and service were much better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Texas Steakout has a kids' menu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

you might hate me for this - but i can live with it.

the last thing i want for a sunday lunch is a restaurant full with screaming kids that are running wild because parents don't pay attention what the little brats are up to...

• Advertisement

luigi malones is a terrible place.. over priced.. food was crap and the service was terrible.. we had a family function in there one night recently.. some of us waited nearly 2hrs for the main course and when we got it some of it was actually cold..

on another note texas steakout is awesome..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Try Collins' out in Dooradoyle too. (Btw SC - ur nick on here??? why?)

LB6 wrote: »
    (Btw SC - ur nick on here??? why?)

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Sorry for sidetracking the conversation - was just wondering why did you pick the nick you did? People try to forget the city used to have that monicer and now we see you using it - not a criticism, just thinking out loud!

Any suggestions on how to get into the texas steak out with a buggy for two and no other adult to help down the stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Stab*City wrote: »
    luigi malones is a terrible place.. over priced.. food was crap and the service was terrible.. we had a family function in there one night recently.. some of us waited nearly 2hrs for the main course and when we got it some of it was actually cold..

on another note texas steakout is awesome..

+1 couldnt agree more. Overpriced, poor service, with a tired and well worn menu. Had the misfortune of going there on a family do one night and waited an hour for the starters to arrive. Everytime I tried to get the attention of a member of staff, they either looked straight through me and continued walking or proffered some pitiful 'Its on its way' sentence. When they arrived eventually, all of us got up and walked out despite the manager asking us to stay and he would offer us free drinks. Get your shop in order sunshine, before you try to commit daylight robbery on your customers. AVOID!

Why not try a sunday lunch out in the creamery in Bunratty? The menu is quite attractive offering well prepared 'standard fare' meals. Im sure there is a selection for kids also. It can get fairly busy though.

LB6 wrote: »
    Sorry for sidetracking the conversation - was just wondering why did you pick the nick you did? People try to forget the city used to have that monicer and now we see you using it - not a criticism, just thinking out loud!

first and foremost it really is none of your business what name i use.. second the city still has this name and always will.. i choose to use this name because i can.. i love limerick it is my home and always will be.. i dont see anything wrong with using this name.. as long as im not the one going out stabbing people i should be able to use what name i want.. so many people on here complaining about the state of the city yet nobody is doing anything about it.. maybe if the powers that be actually gave the youth of this city something to do besides kill each other things might change.. until then i will continue to rep my city under whatever guise i care too.. i dont think the name stab city has anything to do with limericks problems.. the problems dont lie in a moniker.. this city was called that long before any of this fueding and drugs started..

Any suggestions on how to get into the texas steak out with a buggy for two and no other adult to help down the stairs?

does the buggy fold up?? im sure the staff would help out they are pretty decent in there..

It does fold up but I have often stood outside and wondered how to get the staff's attention. I wouldn't feel right just leaving the kids to go down and get someone especially as there are always a few unsavoury types looking for money around that section of street.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It does fold up but I have often stood outside and wondered how to get the staff's attention. I wouldn't feel right just leaving the kids to go down and get someone especially as there are always a few unsavoury types looking for money around that section of street.

Ask a passerby on the street outside to give you a hand down with the buggy. There still are some decent samarathans around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Or just don't bother! I really don't understand what people like about that awful place. IMO Its not very child friendly (texas steak house). Went there recently with a 1.5 year old and couldn't have been treated worse. Staff seemed really pissed off that I managed to get the buggy down the stairs in the first place. Disgraceful menu to be serving to kids, totally processed food. I wont even start on what the adults has to eat, processed, not freshy cooked, absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

probably the staff can't take it any longer if a pram is cloggin their ways or even the stairs... the same on saturday morning at the market. it is packed enough and some people have to push their bicycles and prams through the masses. everytime i almost get a collapse!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for everyones help on this one. we have decided to try the Radisson, apparently they do a really good carvery out there, and at least this way I won't have to fork out ridiculous money for a childs portion and it will not be the processed rubbish that a lot of places offer. When will they realise that not everyone wants to eat sausages, chicken nuggets or fish fingers?
    I'll post how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tried the Strand Hotel today for Sunday lunch and would highly recommend it.

Greeted with a glass of champagne or orange juice, buffett four course lunch all for €20.

Live Jazz music also laid on.

The Strand gets the thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

phog wrote: »
    Tried the Strand Hotel today for Sunday lunch and would highly recommend it.

Greeted with a glass of champagne or orange juice, buffett four course lunch all for €20.

Live Jazz music also laid on.

The Strand gets the thumbs up from me.

Sounds like it's much improved under new management!

Good to hear.

Advertisement