Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my neighbour has b/b I can't get it why?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 9:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My next door neighbour, we're in county limerick, has just got broadband with perlico, she's had her phone line in for about 15 years. We built about 6 years ago and keep being told that our line isn't suitable for broadband.
    Does anyone know why? What are my options, mobile broadband seems very expensive - is it worth it??:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

every house is different, this includes wiring to and from the pole outside your house and wiring inside your house,

I'm curious are you using the perlico checker or eircoms checker to see if you can get broadband?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I've tried both checkers, in fact i think I've tried most of the broadband suppliers. I've phoned eircom who told me that they can't help because I'm not a customer of theirs, I've phoned utv who is my current supplier of dial up and they told me that it was down to eircom!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its ultimately upto Eircom to improve line quality etc but you should be talking to whoever you pay your line rental to, problem is Eircom and UTV don't have to replace wiring to provide you with broadband as there's nothing to say they have to.

It sucks but thats the reality of things, you could pretend you want Broadband from Eircom and see if they'll do anything to provide you with it, once it goes live cancel it within the cooling off period and go with another ISP...alittle messy but it "might" work.

thanks for that, it might be worth considering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Like Cabal says, tell eircom you're considering coming back to them, but only if you can get Broadband. Don't let them change your calls back before they your line passes the test. Don't accept promises or anything like that, these people have a tendency to, eh, bend the truth.

You'll find that none of the mobile broadband services are actually broadband. They can be a very good, high speed internet service, but are rarely broadband. For 30 euro a month for O2 and Vodafone, they're a good alternate to dial up, if you're spending that much. They will often not allow you to do VOIP, gaming could be problematic (long pings) and continuous high speed downloads are often not possible.

Depending on where abouts in Limerick you are, you might be able to get a fixed wireless broadband. BBnet operate in various parts of the county. Digiweb Metro extends out of the city almost as far as Murroe. Might be worth your while to check around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also be careful of the cap when considering mobile bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 limerick-kev24

angeldaisy wrote: »
    My next door neighbour, we're in county limerick, has just got broadband with perlico, she's had her phone line in for about 15 years. We built about 6 years ago and keep being told that our line isn't suitable for broadband.
    Does anyone know why? What are my options, mobile broadband seems very expensive - is it worth it??:confused:

Hi, whereabouts in limerick are you? Ice broadband have a good service in county limerick and they have unlimited dowloads on whatever package you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The megathreads title says enough for me.:confused::eek:;):D:)

i gave up on the landline broadband! I decided to go with 3 mobile broadband. Seems to be okay most of the time. Maybe in 12 months when this contract runs out there may be more options!
    I'm based between fedamore and ballyneety which seems to be a bit of a bermuda triangle of broadband service!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 limerick-kev24

yeah the 3 coverage isnt bad in that area, i have it and im in pat,well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

You may be on a shared line. happened to a neighbour of mine. Eircom ran out of lines so they had to get a shared line, which is unsuitable for broadband.

Advertisement