Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

zig and zag dvd

• 20-05-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭

I want one I want one I want one I want one

Stupid RTE. There is so much excellent material from the den, enough to fill a dozen DVDs

I used to love Ray D'arcy fighting with Ted
    The first moments of Podge,
    The christmas specials,
    Story time (with transvestite zag)
    Dustin, back when he was funny
    Slagging off guests
    The Yes/No Gameshow....

If they can release Bosco on DVD why not the den?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Akrasia wrote: »
    Dustin, back when he was funny

God, that's so true. Am I mad, or has he just become an unpleasant little pub bollocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I was just after posting about this elsewhere. The Den was just fantastic in the early 90s (I sound like a right boring old fart saying that, but a lot of it was comedy gold). I used to get annoyed when the actual programmes came on because I enjoyed the craic with Zig, Zag, Dustin etc so much. We had a lot of that stuff on tape but it's long gone I'd say and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also gone from the RTE archives. :( Ronan Collins was talking about the "storyline" where Dustin joined the Den years ago via the golf competition that he and Zag won. I'd say if they had footage of that they'd have shown it as it was absolutely priceless. "the Gaaaawlf Shooooow" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They don't have recordings for a lot of it.

I remember when they had a special on at one stage and looked back at old episodes of the Den they relied on a viewer sending in bad VHS copies recorded off the TV for them to show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

They released a video ages ago and i remember renting it out from the local video shop a few times and breaking my sides laughing at it.

Miss them horribly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

They don't have recordings for a lot of it.

I remember when they had a special on at one stage and looked back at old episodes of the Den they relied on a viewer sending in bad VHS copies recorded off the TV for them to show.

I feared that was the case alright. There were a couple of brief clips on the programme on the other night and they looked pretty dodgy quality! I was looking for clips on Youtube a while back and found some clips from one of the St. Patrick's day episodes. Captain Shamrock and Old Mother Ireland (Podge) :D

Captain U Boat will always be my favourite though....arooga!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The whole saga of when Podge first appeared was fantastic... and he'd only talk to Zig and make him do bad things.

And then when he returned as Postman Patrick who was obsessed with numbers... it was all great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Ray D'arcy in his prime. the Ted fights were superb and the banter was hilarious. why can't they do it like that these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

there is a good bit of stuff on youtube from the vintage den and it is fantastic, it's so sharp and clever and very off the cuff. Zig and Zag are comic geniuses. Dustin actually works better when he's paired with Zig, Zag and Ray. The DVD needs to happen, it would be huge, why wouldn't they have archived the footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Is there any chance that they will bring back Zig and Zag or have they left permanently for Zog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Is there any chance that they will bring back Zig and Zag or have they left permanently for Zog?
    well they're working on Podge & Rodge at the moment so they might return with Zig & Zag. Not sure about who might own the rights to those characters though. They did return to RTE with 2Phat though so it's not beyond all possibilities that they may get another show. Would love to see it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They had a couple of videos out years ago (early 90's I think). But I doubt you could get your hands on them now.

But I think it would be a mistake to bring back Zig & Zag. Yes they were funny and original at the time but not anymore, I they'd look very dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I loved when Zig and Zag used to beg Ray to let them stay up late to watch a match or a film and he'd tell them that if they ate all their vegetables he'd think about it, which would lead to Zig going on a rant about how he hated Brocolli.
    I also saw a clip there a while back on youtube, when Ray was saying they'd be finishing early so the Budget could be shown and Zig and Zag started ripping the piss out of the government. Brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

theres loads of clips on youtube including the christmas specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCv4iyPqZKQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The released a video called "nothing to do with toast" where they go the budget to do the video as long as they didnt mention toast. Needless to say they mentioned it loads and an alarm used to go off with a warning, sorta like the demolition man thing with the swearing fines.
    I also remember getting a zig and zag album, think it was called never mind the zoga-pongs........i have searched high and low for that but no joy.

they also used to do the original "apres match" thing and dress up as johnny styles and eamon grumpy and rip the piss out of them before a big match. Ahead of their time i tells ya. Pity podge and rodge arent funny.

Advertisement