Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More problems for boggy

Options
  • 20-05-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

:(Bad Karma is all i can say.

With my bios problem going on i decided to put back my old system.

And of course why should i believe it will work just fine:mad:

It is now randomly freezing anywhere it can: The bios, windows start up, on the desktop, even the second post screen where it checks the drives etc. It just freezes. When i say freeze now i mean the screen freezes and nothing works. If i am in the bios looking at the temp screens everything goes to zero once it crash's/freezes. The display is still there though.

I have to keep my finger on the power button to turn off and if i press reset i just get blank screen when restart.

What i have tried:

Changing ram in every possible way. Matched the timings in the bios and voltage and all that stuff.

Booting without certain drives like hdd and cd drive. Basically it still freezes with just gpu/ram and processor, nothing else connected..

Took off cpu heatsink 3 times and it is def not that. The temps in the bios (when i can get that far) show below 40c for cpu and other temps are fine.

But could it be the north or southbridge heatsinks overheating so early in boot??????

The psu works fine and so does the graphics card.

There is really no reason why this should not work and i dont know what changed since i just basically took the comp apart and put back the same way it was.

When i reset the cmos i get into that post screen and sometimes it does not freeze so i can change settings in bios. But nothing seems to make a difference

As i have said sometimes windows will boot fine and i can open documents and stuff. But other times when i am going through bios screen it will just freeze randomly.

I have a feeling this could be the bios?. (but this might just be paranoia as i have been bios crazy for a while now with another board gone bad)

The thing is, i feel if i try to re flash the bios it might freeze mid way and THUd!! just die completely.

Any wise words by anyone????

I think im going to give up building computers and not build a comp for my cousins. I wont have any hair left:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

It's not the bios anyway don't worry about that .
    The reason i'm saying that is because you said it happens even when your in windows.(runs in protected mode)and isn't likely to use bios interupts(16bit real mode)Netbsd has a fucntion for this though.(weirdos)

This sort of thing happened to a friend he forgot to plug in the cpu fan wire ....

Anyway I've no idea why in the world that would happen to you ,very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

could it be my windows install then that is the problem? I ruled that out because of the freezing before the os kicked in. As in it froze in post screen and when i bios.

I was getting some kind of netbsd error before i took the computer apart. This error came up when clicking on shortcut to mozilla or avg virus. As far as i know that is a 32 bit, 16 bit reading error. Hmmmm. I even had to delete loads of stuff on hdd then repair install to get it back to normal but the problem could still be there.

The thing is when i try and repair install windows it usually freezes at some stage and it never gets done.

Thank feck its not the bios. Thanks for ruling that out for me=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i had same problem, turned out it was 1 faulty ram chip,i just replaced ram with 2 256meg dimms.THAT FIXED IT.

Advertisement