Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb issue or me?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Got a mail from digiweb last night to say I was nearing my traffic quote. Thought it was a bit strange as I haven't been downloading much. Anyway, looked at my stats and for the last 24hrs it says I've uploaded almost a gig. I haven't been uploading anything and I'm not running any torrent software in the background or anything. Anyone have any idea whats up? Could this be a virus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

FX Meister wrote: »
    Got a mail from digiweb last night to say I was nearing my traffic quote. Thought it was a bit strange as I haven't been downloading much. Anyway, looked at my stats and for the last 24hrs it says I've uploaded almost a gig. I haven't been uploading anything and I'm not running any torrent software in the background or anything. Anyone have any idea whats up? Could this be a virus?

even if you have uploaded very little but you have downloaded a lot of stuff, then your upload will be high due to the chatty nature of TCP/IP...could be that, or a virus

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

10G of download can generate as much as 1G of upload.

Email, webpages, form posts, video, Skype are all upload & Download, not just FTP or torrents.

If upload seems unusually high suspect a spam zombie. See is there significant network activity when you are doing nothing.

silentrunners.org has a tool much better than any AV program to spot the launch point of every program. Every worm/trojan/virus has have someway of restarting when you boot.

Do google each thing it finds (i.e. it gets a false positive of Netopia keyboard driver on some Dells. Deleting that results in no keyboard).

If everything checks out OK, do ring/email Digiweb support if it still seems the the data usage is madly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

the 24 hour period had 130mb down and 980mb up. I'll check that program out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

FX Meister wrote: »
    Digiweb issue or me?

Whilst I may not be Digiweb's biggest fan, and they have comparatively smaller caps than other ISPs, they do rate well in their monitoring. They give you a near realtime traffic count, detailed graphs and automated emails as you approach your limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I use them in my parents house for them and they don't really need huge speed or caps so it suits fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement