Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS menu

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping this is in the right place, haven't done much web work recently, a bit of Wordpress "hacking", I mostly work in databases etc

I have a question about CSS menus, I have no problem creating the actual menu, but what I have created is a "drop-up" menu that I would like to place at the bottom of the page.

I'm thinking about using IFrames (what with Frames being abandoned in the new version of HTML as far as know) and I'd like an IFrame holding the menu at the bottom of the screen and another holding the content taking up the remainder of the screen.
    So obviously as the menu changes, I only update the menu html file.
    So my issue is : that then menu will not overlap the Iframe placed above it and I loose some of the menu - is there a way around this in HTML or is my design just unworkable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

It's a bit awkward but I suppose it could be done. If I was doing it, I'd probably have the navigation inside a div tag that I positioned absolute at the bottom of the screen area. I remember trying to do it before and it was quite difficult to get. If you go through a few pages on www.sitepoint.com and ad will pop up that appears at a bar at the bottom of the page. The content then scrolls behind it. That's the best example I can think of.

Don't know what else to advise but I'd stay away from frames and iframes for this one.

You could use www.udm4.com for the menu possibly and have it display it upwards. You'll just need to sit the menu inside a correctly positioned div but as I said, it could be a little tricky to do.

HTH

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could you use a JavaScript file instead that could write the menu contents to a div in the main page?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Yeah, but it wouldn't be too search engine friendly or degradable. UDM4 has a nice way of amending UL>LI items to nice drop down menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

thanks for the replies guys, i'll sit down this weekend and see how far I get

cheers
    Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

DJB wrote: »
    Yeah, but it wouldn't be too search engine friendly or degradable. UDM4 has a nice way of amending UL>LI items to nice drop down menus.

I'd say .. just give a standard ul li .. ul li .... style menu ... ... add a bit of jquery to nicely format the menu on page load ?

This makes it SEO friendly and should hopefully degrade nicely :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I'm using lists but if I ran into problems I'd revert to tables.
    "But it's a list". It's a TABLE of contents as well, semantics.

Tables are cross browser and should survive IE8+ changes, the tool does the job easy and fast, and there's no issue if javascript is turned off in the user agent which is becoming more common, eg people using NoScript in FF for security.

Included templates are an easy way to edit site wide content and also present different layouts for various mobile / accessibility needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Some nice CSS menu templates at Dynamic Drive. No Javascript involved.

Advertisement