Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless question ... help/direction needed :)

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ... I have wireless set up at home. NTL through an Edimax WAP.

It wasnt easy and set it up eventually and has been running fine for quite a while now. My brother was able to get his N95 running on it. He also bought a new vista laptop, but he cannot get it connected to the internet. It connects locally even after putting in the network/shared key, but it wont get passed connecting "locally".
    There are loads of issues online about vista and connecting locally, but not being able to get internet. I think I had the same issue with my laptop but cant remember how I got it working.

Can anybody shed any light on what I need to do?
    Thanks for any help.
    GBX :confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have to admit never heard of the Edimax stuff. but if you are just using a wap with the ntl modem what is doing the routing for your set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I hadnt heard of them either till I needed to get wireless set up. Had heard so much about wireless routers not working with certain broadband modems, and our friend google pointed me to a review on dabs.ie/co.uk saying it would work fine with the NTL Modem turning it into an access point.

Im just having trouble connecting my brothers laptop to it now. It broadcasts fine.
    I figured it would just be a case of seeing the home network, "connecting" to it, entering in the passcode I have set up and being able to connect. But it wont connect wirelessly.
    My set up is as follows:
    NTL Modem --- 5 point switch (as the NTL modem only had one ethernet port) --- Edimax WAP.

I can connect his laptop into one of the free ports on the switch and it connects to the internet. It wont get as far as the internet when I try it wirelessly only shows as "local connection"
    Any ideas?

GBX wrote: »
    I hadnt heard of them either till I needed to get wireless set up. Had heard so much about wireless routers not working with certain broadband modems, and our friend google pointed me to a review on dabs.ie/co.uk saying it would work fine with the NTL Modem turning it into an access point.

Im just having trouble connecting my brothers laptop to it now. It broadcasts fine.
    I figured it would just be a case of seeing the home network, "connecting" to it, entering in the passcode I have set up and being able to connect. But it wont connect wirelessly.
    My set up is as follows:
    NTL Modem --- 5 point switch (as the NTL modem only had one ethernet port) --- Edimax WAP.

I can connect his laptop into one of the free ports on the switch and it connects to the internet. It wont get as far as the internet when I try it wirelessly only shows as "local connection"
    Any ideas?

Well I emphasise that I am no expert on this but it seems to me that you are missing a 'routing' function in your set up. There is nothing to share out addresses as far as I can see. Does your brothers laptop work in other wireless situations?

His does. But if he can use his phone to connect to the wireless while im connected, surely his laptop would be able to connect too?

I will check again and have a look at the IP addresses.

Hi guys ... im still having trouble with this. I got a new Netgear wireless router and this installed perfect, but my brother is still having problems with local access only. My guess is that its to do with the wireless card in his laptop. Would uninstalling/reinstalling help? Also if this fails as a last resort a wiping vista and resinstalling that be a solution in resetting stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Reinstalling Vista sounds like an extreme measure ! When the laptop is logged on to the router run Command and type ipconfig/all . What IP address does it show ?

Agree totally that reinstalling vista would be over the top at least for the moment. Where does your brother use his laptop? Would he have been given a fixed ip address at any stage?

Yeah the reinstalling idea only came because I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless card, but that hasnt fixed it.

He has never been given a fixed IP. I will post up ipconfig from both mine and his laptop and hopefully somebody can help. Thanks guys :)

Advertisement