Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista & portable hdd prob

• 21-05-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey Folks:
    I have posted this in Comp and tech already but jus thought ye might have some insight. Basiclly i bought a portable usb hdd off of dabs last week or so. Thing is my comp (vista Premium) wont for love nor money install any drivers. It tries to but fails every time. When i first got the hdd thesame thing happened but when i ignored the driver installation it worked! Until today that is brought it to my buddys place and he literally has the same comp (aldi's finest) and it worked no bother! when i use it with my xp lappy and "spare xp machine it works fine!

Please Help im at my wits end!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What USB HDD is it? Have you got a link to the Dabs page?

Certain USB drives, both HDD and pen drives, are not compatible with Vista still. I have a 4GB pen drive that refuses to work on Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

Soundman wrote: »
    What USB HDD is it? Have you got a link to the Dabs page?

Certain USB drives, both HDD and pen drives, are not compatible with Vista still. I have a 4GB pen drive that refuses to work on Vista.

i sure do sorry about that its late and im pisse off!!! http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3X4Y

thats what i thoght to about not being vista compatible but my mates machine is vista premium to and it worked text book

oh and thanks soundman for such a quick reply

Ok. Well according to the Lacie site, it is specced for Vista too. It could be that it isn't getting enough power from the USB ports.

Have you tried different ports? Are you plugging straight in or going through a hub?

Is there a cable with it that has a mini USB to 2 normal USB connectors? Try that if you haven't already.

Ya tried the ports at both the front and rear of unit.
    it comes with two cables 1 a standard usb-mini cable and another one which is like a power cable to usb to draw more power from a bus ie a lappy or such like and no matter what i do vista refuses to find the drivers for it even off the disc!!!!

NB the comp is finding it in device manager as an unknown device.

Does it appear that you need to format it? Is it showing up under Computer?

Right click Computer, click Manage, Click Disk Management and see if it is listed there as a drive.

• Advertisement

formatted already under ntfs this is a bizarre problem would u not agree!!!

In Device Manager where it is coming up as an Unknown Device, right click and uninstall. Let it do that and then restart your computer. Once it has fully booted and is playing nice, then plug the HDD back in and let it try to install again. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not then I am at a loss at the moment. I'll have another search around and see what I can come up with in the mean time.

thanks sound man illl check bak in the morning sometime may a nights sleep on it will cure it lol!!!

No problem. Fingers crossed for you. Looks a nice bit of kit by the way.

Advertisement