Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. at home?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yes, but she would have to register with a school as an external candidate. she has to do this by february 1st on the year she intends on sitting the leaving. Details are on the State Exams Commission website. www.examinations.ie

she would also have to make sure that she has a teacher willing to sign off on any project work she might have to complete in certain subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Yes but if she was in LCA I don't fancy her chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

disssco wrote: »

ohhhhhhhh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

disssco wrote: »

LCA students can't complete the requirements without attending a centre. The 90% attendance requirements mean you can't just repeat Key Assignments and tasks - there are also the many task interviews to consider, along with group tasks like the Enterprise etc..

If she wants to register seperately for the standard Leaving, I would say she would be considered a repeat student and have to pay appropriate fees. Does she need the standard Leaving for a particular course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yeah she can study at home for english, maths, business, economics, accounting, applied maths, classical studies and the languages

i'd say anything like history geography or religion that needs a project u need a teacher to supervise

also physics, biology , chemistry and home economics require you to write up lab work.

so if she wants to pick from the first bunch above yeah go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You have to write up lab reports, but... nobody will necessarily ever see them, if you get me.

That said, remembering/understanding experiments when you haven't done them isn't fun.

yep you can get away without doing the lab work but as far as i know the department inspect 5% of all those registered for the sciences and if you haven't done the lab stuff they can bar you from the exam.

as far as i know with history geog and religion u only lose the 20% for the project but they can't stop you doing the exam.

so u could take a chance not doing lab stuff but not easy to visualise the lab doing lab questions in exam then

It is possible to a degree.. as she'd be able to sit the leavin.. but about passing.. thats another question. Jumping from something like the lca to the lc.. is insane. There is no way she would be able pass the l.c all by her self. Just repeat in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

was thinkin about doing this myself, did the leaving cert in the institute 2 years ago, have since had a baby and was thinking of repeating the leaving and doing midwifery the following year. any ideas how i could go about doing it from home?
    i couldnt face going back doing another year in that place ,ive already done two years there plus i dont have the flexibility to go all the way in to town every day and finish at 6 some days so doing it at home is really my only option

leesmom wrote: »
    was thinkin about doing this myself, did the leaving cert in the institute 2 years ago, have since had a baby and was thinking of repeating the leaving and doing midwifery the following year. any ideas how i could go about doing it from home?
    i couldnt face going back doing another year in that place ,ive already done two years there plus i dont have the flexibility to go all the way in to town every day and finish at 6 some days so doing it at home is really my only option

as per my first post above if you pick the first bunch of subjects its less messy.

for the sciences i know nui maynooth and i think dcu run a 1 day leaving cert experiment session where a lot /maybe all (dunno) experiments are done. this is for organised 'tours' of 6th year students. if you could squeeze in there might solve a problem but confirm with the department first.

if that didn't work maybe you could go to a VEC that is doing adult repeat leaving cert classes one night a month just to cover the lab experiments. list of VECs should be on www.qualifax.ie. some people will tell you just to copy someone elses lab book but they inspect 5% I THINK

for the history geog rel group again the VEC or a nice teacher who will just liase with you for i dunno 2 or 3 hours over a 2 month period to get the project done.

i dunno how many points it is for midwifery but i presume you are under 23 since you feel you need to repeat. no points needed for over 23s.

kilroys college run a distance learning leaving cert but i think you would run into the same problems for lab stuff and sciences.

instructions for external repeat candidates are on www.examinations.ie
    and the fee

i say go for it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement