Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sully!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

The amount of locks and moving of threads in the Waterford forums have become a joke lately. Hopefully with Fajitas in as a mod we won't see the ridiculous amount of threads being locked just after Sully posts his point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kensutz wrote: »
    The amount of locks and moving of threads in the Waterford forums have become a joke lately. Hopefully with Fajitas in as a mod we won't see the ridiculous amount of threads being locked just after Sully posts his point.

Can you please provide links to such posts?

I could but can't be bothered. All you have to do is go through the pages on the forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I could but can't be bothered. All you have to do is go through the pages on the forum.

I have and I don't see any thread that was closed for a stupid reason. If your going to come in here and make a complaint, at least back it up. I cant act on any Feedback, unless you can actually give me some good points.

Some people I wont take Feedback from as there nothing but trouble, but I wouldn't put you in that category. So please, if you want to give Feedback and help improve the forum - show us what you don't like.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

It went through a period where topics were being locked left, right and center. To say it was frustrating is an understatement.

It went through a period where topics were being locked left, right and center. To say it was frustrating is an understatement.

Then show me the links to closed topics that you felt shouldn't have been closed. You never once made me aware of the issue. There is a "Report Post" button for a reason. I get it and so do the CMods. In fact, all the mods can see it!

I don't have time. I have other stuff to worry about:rolleyes:

I don't have time. I have other stuff to worry about:rolleyes:

Then its hardly fair to complain about how the forum is running if your not willing to contribute time to point out these topics that were closed so needlessly.

Recent topics were closed for traveller bashing and for dragging up old topics (to which DeV has explained the policy on above).

County topics were moved to the Waterford County forum. The WIT Topic is closed to give everyone a chance to calm down and will re-open at another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Well I decided to look back to see for myself all this thread locking ,
    See there are 6 locked threads in the last 67 threads posted.
    Over 1 to 10 ratio does not seem that harsh to me,
    Of the lock threads
    two where becoming a slagging match and starting to break forum rules
    one was a simple Question , Asked and Answer so locked no more value to leave open
    one was an old thread thingy
    One was sully's own theard :D
    One "blaa one " goes over my head.
    Moved thread are mostly county stuff and rightly moved.
    So the claims in this feedback have no grounds IMO ,The thread is just reading as a few people who have a personnal axe to grind
    Get a life !

• Advertisement

Well done for looking back all 4 pages. You can't see past 28-04-08 and I didn't specify a time in which he went on a lock and move fest. I don't mind stuff being moved to the appropriate forum. :rolleyes:

Look, you can view back as far as you want, if you set the forum views properly.

Now, if you're going to throw these allegations out there, you have to be prepared to back them up, it's as simple as that. You'd have them found and posted, if they are there, while you've been reading and replying here, ergo going around in circles.

I have my own views on the moderation of the forum at times, but I do know that Sully is always keen to improve the forum, build the traffic in it, and keep it ticking over. There is a fresh pair of eyes there now also, in the form of one of the most capable moderators on this site, so I for one would hope that this constant nitpicking can be laid to rest once and for all.

Like I said I have other stuff to do instead of trying to find out what he locked. I'm not the only one who complains about it but I am the only person who made a point about it.

But you're still here.

Take five, find a couple of links and come back to us.

Otherwise your post is just so much weh weh weh, which would be kind of a shame if you had something valid to bring to the table.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Why don't you spill your "views on the moderation at times then". I was only highlighting that there was locking of certain threads got out of hand and that's it!

Jaysus Ken, your argument has swayed me. Still not too busy to view the thread I see, which is nice...

Sully! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!!!ONE!!!!!!!111

Here come the rolleyes, you ready?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sure. (Noice edit there).

You see I don't have a problem backing up my posts.

It can be difficult at times for users to distinguish between posts where Sully is expressing his opinion, and where he puts on his mod hat. Hell, I even have trouble at times making the distinction when reading the forum.

This leads to allegations from the usersof the forum that he has let his own opinions affect his moderation. This is not true in the main, and were a line crossed at any stage, I know Sully would be the first to put his hands up and apologise.

I don't see any instance of threadlocking that is overzealous. A couple of necros locked, and that's about it. Personally, I wouldn't have locked them unless they got out of hand, but doctors differ and patients die.

So, anything to add, Ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

you said lately
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Well I decided to look back to see for myself all this thread locking ,
    See there are 6 locked threads in the last 67 threads posted.
    Over 1 to 10 ratio does not seem that harsh to me,
    Of the lock threads
    two where becoming a slagging match and starting to break forum rules
    one was a simple Question , Asked and Answer so locked no more value to leave open
    one was an old thread thingy
    One was sully's own theard :D
    One "blaa one " goes over my head.
    Moved thread are mostly county stuff and rightly moved.
    So the claims in this feedback have no grounds IMO ,The thread is just reading as a few people who have a personnal axe to grind
    Get a life !

Thats lately
    Well done for looking back all 4 pages. You can't see past 28-04-08 and I didn't specify a time in which he went on a lock and move fest. I don't mind stuff being moved to the appropriate forum. :rolleyes:

Not enough , Ok there has been 24 locked threads since Sully became mod
    One of these was lock by Devore
    so its 23 out of 540 threads in the last year (nearly ) No over kill there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I've expressedmy views on goings on in the Waterford forum on a number of occasions to Sully (via PM, in the mod forum and here on feedback).

I've always tried to be helpful, and maybe originally Sully felt I had some sort of vendetta or something, I assured him (and still do) that this wasnt and isnt the case.

I believe that as Sully is extremely active in the forum, and in the debates on the forum, he can leave himself open to accusations of favouritism if he ends up having to swap between user and mod cap on one of the threads he's involved in the debate in. He made a decision recently to add a new mod to the forum, and this in my opinion was a very wise move. It means that when Sully is involved in a debate/discussion and may have polorisied views to other posters, and some moderation is needed, then the new mod can step in.

Local fora can be tricky to mod and I dont envy anyone doing so. All moderator styles are different and that makes boards the place it is today. My own style would be to take a bit more of a back seat and not be so involved in every topic, but thats just me.

Keep on taking the feedback on board Sully, and good luck with the new mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Again! At least get your facts right before accusing me Sully. You accuse me of 'probably' using the word troll constantly. The one time I used it you had threatened to ban the next one using it, when at the same time allowing two very obvious trolls from Cork and Limerick to continue posting in a Waterford City forum.

As I said already, one rule for the rest of us.......

Hooray thats me i was the Cork 'troll' mentioned here, its not a surprise to see a thread about this particular mod.*edit* Freddie59 labelled me as a 'disgrace to my county', the other Limerick 'Troll' he referred to was not trolling either. we were arguing our pov.

Sully accused me of having an anti Waterford agenda and pushed me on it after other posters started getting personal on my location after disagreeing with my POV, the WIT thread was going fine until that type of allegation started being thrown about. Heres Sully in action:
    Iv noticed in a lot of your posts (not in the University topic but outside of it) your very anti-waterford. I think you should just be ignored at this stage, as no matter what anyone says your gonna dispute it. There is no point talking to someone who wont reason.
    You see, im getting a different picture now. I think the problem with the Uni Campaign is you dont like Waterford. At first, I thought it was genuine reasons. Now, I think its just another anti-Waterford stance.

Now im out of the heat of the WIT thread here's a Q to you Sully, do you really think i have a personal dislike of Waterford? do you know how ridiculous it is to accuse someone of a bias on the basis of contributions to 2 threads?

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, have been away. I see that most of the issues pointed out by Ken have been put to rest due to having no interest in proving his case and disproving those who show a different light. If at anytime you want to discuss anything with regards to the moderation of the forum, drop me a PM or take it up here. I will say however, I don't take kindly to people winging to me who have a personal axe to grind. Feedback on the forum in question will be moved here - its home :)

Waterford City is a very busy forum that was left un moderated for a very long time. I took it under my wing to try and clean it up and keep things busy at the same time. Iv closed topics which ended up completely off-topic and no amount of topic cleaning could work (and this is my preferred way to moderate - clean the topic until it can be cleaned no more), it was un related to Waterford (might have been moved to a more appropriate location), it was simply created to break either a Boards.ie wide rule or forum charter guideline. Bans have been issued to spammers and regular trouble makers. This includes breaking the forum charter continuously or a Boards.ie rule. Instant bans are issued to those which were completely way out of order and deserve no warning for what they did. Infractions or warnings have been issued to those heading in the direction of a ban or making comments that were not appropriate. I have asked mods with much more experience then me for their feedback, tips and advise in the large majority of incidents in the forum and they are fully aware of id say most if not all bans issued.

Mistakes happen. I'm far from perfect and so is everyone - nobody is perfect. Therefore, I rely on constructive Feedback to help run the forum and keep everyone happy. Even at that, im never going to be able to. Some people seem to think that they should be allowed do what they want as they have passion for their city. They should be allowed abuse people and if I don't like it then I don't have passion. Sorry, that's not the case and is a site wide policy. Problems with that? Bitching at me wont get it fixed! :| With regards to the famous "censorship" - I don't believe I have censored ANY side of the WIT University Argument unless the comment was completely un appropriate. Comparing bans to the tibet situation or watever is an immature way to act.

invincibleirish; To answer your question - Yes I do think you are anti-Waterford. Its the impression I (and others) have gathered from your posts in and outside of the Waterford Forum. Perhaps you don't mean it to come across like that, but its standing out like that to me anyway :) You have not been banned from any of my forums - ever. You got a warning for trying to bring a persons age into backup an argument and that was it. Your entitled to your opinion and view, even if its anti-waterford. My comment about ignoring you was because people seem to be getting annoyed at your POV and I think that no matter what they say or if they manage to break your argument in shatters - you wont admit it. They don't have to listen to me!

Sully wrote: »

My comment about ignoring you was because people seem to be getting annoyed at your POV and I think that no matter what they say or if they manage to break your argument in shatters - you wont admit it.

Re-open the thread in question and let me reply and i'll put you all straight eventually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

This is getting silly maybe a new mod or at the very least a second mod would be a good idea, its clear Sully is having trouble on his own.

Read the thread again, methinks...

This is getting silly maybe a new mod or at the very least a second mod would be a good idea, its clear Sully is having trouble on his own.

I think you're pushing an anti Sully agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Far from it! He's handling it perfectly! People just aren't agreeing with the way he's doing it and are bitching bout it when they have no grounds to!

I think he's pushing a "not read the thread but I have an unfounded opinion" agenda ;)

Re-open the thread in question and let me reply and i'll put you all straight eventually ;)

It will be open again.. eventually... with stricter guidelines to prevent a repeat of the last thread! :)

Clearly? What world are you living in? I think the Feedback thread has been put to bed and issues summed up pretty well actually. I asked Fajitas! to join the team to balance out the work and make modding that bit easier as I wont have such a heavy work load. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Sully wrote: »
    It will be open again.. eventually... with stricter guidelines to prevent a repeat of the last thread! :)

Clearly? What world are you living in? I think the Feedback thread has been put to bed and issues summed up pretty well actually. I asked Fajitas! to join the team to balance out the work and make modding that bit easier as I wont have such a heavy work load. ;)

Oh good once your not involved so much I'm happy.

• Advertisement

Oh good once your not involved so much I'm happy.

Sorry to disapoint you, but ill remain as much invovled as I was. :) Fajitas! is there to help moderate the ever growing forum! ;)

Advertisement