Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature AH

Options
  • 21-05-2008 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that threads created, or moved to After Hours, become a nerd's paradise.

Is there a possibility of a forum where the mundane, or not easily categorised, could be discussed without the nerds joining in?

Eg. cat pictures, "yore ma", in-jokes galore, etc.?

To a newcomer, the After Hours forum is the least forum to post on due to the number of in-jokes. Would be nice if the casual browser wasn't made to feel excluded by these 4,000+ guys?

Everyone's got something to offer!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Actually, AH has been shown statistically to be where all the newbies go when their finding their feet on Boards.

You'll have to link some examples of "in jokes".
    Also, you can't post cat pictures on AH, as picture posting is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Wasn't The Cuckoo's Nest meant to cleanse AH and leave it mature?

Me smells a purge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have only been into AH once! Prefer BGRH/LL/Electronic DJing!

Me smells a purge.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Me smells a purge.
    Looking at the front page of AH at the moment, I'd consider the content quite "mature". I mean, yore ma jokes do happen quite a bit but they're easily ignored and when done well, are quite entertaining.

If a silly thread pops up, the mods generally shift it over to TCN/Thunderdome/etc.

OP: There's plenty of "serious" forums on Boards, go and try to make a yore ma joke on the politics forum and you'll see how it's treated. There's a good bit of serious discussion on AH, but it's one of the forums that you can sort of "kick back" and have a bit of fun in, while discussing proper topics.

It's offensive to be calling people who don't treat the internet fora like they're some f*cking business meetings "nerds". If you want serious, serious discussion, then go post on Politics/Humanities/Parenting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I've noticed that threads created, or moved to After Hours, become a nerd's paradise.

Is there a possibility of a forum where the mundane, or not easily categorised, could be discussed without the nerds joining in?

To a newcomer, the After Hours forum is the least forum to post on due to the number of in-jokes. Would be nice if the casual browser wasn't made to feel excluded by these 4,000+ guys?

First off, I think it's a bit out of order for you to call the posters in AH nerds.

If you want serious discussion on a certain subject, create a thread on the subject in the appropriate forum or just go and lurk in the forum if you don't want to post.

If you don't like AH, don't go in there. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

You sound to me like you have tried to get involved in the forum but didn't find it very welcoming or personal or something. That could be because AH isn't really a community in the same way as some of the other forums on here in that it isn't a forum for people who have a shared interest in a certain subject (like airsoft or photography) or a forum with a set demographic/idea so that people know what to expect (like LL or BGRH). AH isn't like that, it's a general discussion forum frequented by thousands of people from all spectrums, you can hardly expect it to be the same kind of forum sheerly due to it's diverse and random nature (I know tcn should cover that section, but tcn isn't random, it's just bloody mental!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

orestes wrote: »
    First off, I think it's a bit out of order for you to call the posters in AH nerds.

Shut up nerd :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

f9cc829ae0b529241778cbc6134fbbcc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shut up nerd :pac:

Watch it you, I'm a level 2307 warrior on World of Warcraft, I'll have my elf archer minions kick your ass :mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

orestes wrote: »
    Watch it you, I'm a level 2307 warrior on World of Warcraft, I'll have my elf archer minions kick your ass :mad:

yousuck.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think the AH mods have been letting things slide

This feedback forum used to be full of "why was I banned from AH" threads and now theres no such threads

AH mods should put on there banning caps and take back control

and please keep AH away from tcn

isn't "yore ma" against the AH charter, seems to be more mentions of "yore ma" than ever before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's offensive to nerds calling AH posters nerds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Only a nerd would use the phrase ,"yore ma"

Its was a skangerism used by pre teens ,years ago.
    Quite sad to see it floating around still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

311 wrote: »
    Only a nerd would use the phrase ,"yore ma"

Its was a skangerism used by pre teens ,years ago.
    Quite sad to see it floating around still.
    Quite sad to see yore ma still floating around the streets still. Isn't she getting a bit old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Mirror wrote: »
    Quite sad to see yore ma still floating around the streets still. Isn't she getting a bit old?

Now ,you know you wouldn't say that to me on the street. And you know why you wouldn't. So that either makes you a troll or a nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Now ,you know you wouldn't say that to me on the street. And you know why you wouldn't. So that either makes you a troll or a nerd.

ethug.jpg

Well we wouldn't be having this conversation on the street. But if we were, that would imply that I know you to some degree, in which case I probably would.

And while I would admit I am a bit of a nerd in that I work in I.T., spend a lot of time online and enjoy a good Star Trek novel as much as the next dweeb, I've also had some very attractive girlfriends, plenty of the horizontal no pants dance, listen to rather un-nerdy music (actually I dno't know what nerdy music is...star trek theme tune?) and play several instruments, in a couple of different bands.

So your stereotyping has failed, as the real reason for use of the term is a little bit of sarcastic nostalgia, and the fact that I find many 'yore ma' jokes quite funny, and if I'm reading a serious thread and come across yore me (:pac:) jokes I'll generally just snigger quietly and move on with reading the thread. A lot of other boardsies do the same, so we indulge one another.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Would be nice if the casual browser wasn't made to feel excluded by these 4,000+ guys?
    882228ef6496cf93bf2068373e8d5c9d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

With AH being the most read forum, you are going to get all sorts of crap thrown in there.
    Just learn to filter out the crap you don't want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

on the other hand, 99% of boards users have used AH.
    i would say that considerably less have used usch fora as say... oh, the unix operating system forum.

so i would have to disagree with your classification system. in fact, its probably as useful in saying that the very fact that you are posing on an internet forum, makes you a nerd. but i will leave that up to you to consider.

please see above to show that AH isnt a nerd colony.
    however, if you want to have a forum where there are no nerds, i suggest you form your own. that way you can decide who is cool enough to talk to.

more like 40,000 guys and gals believe it or not, a very high percentage of the posters on AH are female. i dont know how they got there. one minute i was debugging a new flux capacitor while waiting to respawn in team fortress, and the next, someone let chicks on the web! i feel breached. but thats a different debate.

i am not about to start curbing anyones right to have in jokes or shout yore ma becuase one person feels excluded.

i suggest you jump right in, make yourself at home, and maybe finding out whats happening, rather than getting an entire web site to change to suit you.
    thats just akin to moving from dublin to westmeath and patitioning the council to have the smell of cows removed. you either join in, or you go away. or i supose you could stay and be unhappy, but i dont suppose thats a very good option really.

very true. what have you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, everyone was a newbie at one stage. When I joined, I didn't have a notion what people were on about either, but I didn't feel there was a deliberate policy of exclusion - because there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is there room for an grown up Off-topic forum? What would be in it?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Ahem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yore ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Mike.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ahem.

Yore Mas! Pop by and I'll give you a pint on the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BGRH is not where its at (controversial).

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dunno i started going to Toms Pub the other week and I quite like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dunno, wasnt made feel too welcome in Toms pub to be honest, im sure this wasnt intentional but i doubt ill be back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't see it that much on Afterhours...but I don't get the "I pawns da Intersweb!", "de wimmins", and other such phrases. What the hell are they about?

• Advertisement

I don't see it that much on Afterhours...but I don't get the "I pawns da Intersweb!", "de wimmins", and other such phrases. What the hell are they about?
    It all really stems backing to the gaming/programming/warez communities, which were the guys that basically owned the internet 10 years ago when your average joe blogs hardly had a dial up connection.

I myself, ten years ago, was an avid AOL user :D Of course back then I thought AOL was the internet....as did many people....

Advertisement