Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House not on water mains

Options
  • 21-05-2008 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

We're looking at a house thats out in the country, i was looking at the plans on the county council website and it says that there is no water mains for the area and a Well would be needed.
    The house is finished (new build) and there is water in the taps, just wondering is this something that might cause a problem?

Were going for a second viewing soon, but i'd like to research these things in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If there is water in the taps- I assume that means that the well they alluded to was dug? If not- its possible that it may be on a local water scheme (run by the community themselves, rather than the council). You really need to find this out ASAP. Without wishing to alarm you- the EPA published a document a few weeks ago on their findings from taking water samples from a selection of water mains and community schemes around the country- it makes very interesting reading......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

thanks for the reply,
    Its possible that a group scheme is in place as the house we're looking at was the first to be built in the area, there are now another 4 house within 500 yards.
    I'm guessing that you mean the community schemes could be more of a concern than if it was just a well for the one house?
    If it is a community schemes, what do i need to ask?
    If its just a well, will i need to find out more?
    Sorry for the questions, very new to all this.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Senna wrote: »
    thanks for the reply,
    Its possible that a group scheme is in place as the house we're looking at was the first to be built in the area, there are now another 4 house within 500 yards.
    I'm guessing that you mean the community schemes could be more of a concern than if it was just a well for the one house?
    If it is a community schemes, what do i need to ask?
    If its just a well, will i need to find out more?
    Sorry for the questions, very new to all this.
    Cheers

If its an existing well, before you buy you'd be looking for the well to be tested for contamination. A positive result from this testing could be put in as a condition for the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

thanks DublinDilbert, this is all very useful information.

Just a though i had, if this is a well with a few houses attached, is there a chance that more houses could be built and added to it?
    Who would have control of it? (assuming that the builder provided it and he will be the person building more houses in the future)

I'm guessing the EA (and vendor) and surveyor will provide some answers, but who would provide the rest?

Advertisement