Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for 2001 Modeo Zetec Engine

Options
  • 21-05-2008 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I in a spot of bother. My wifes 2001 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec blew up 2 days ago, (conrod became detached , is rattling aound in the bottom of engine). Wasn't ran dry, but maybe the guy who had it before me did?
    Mechanic tells me that they're a very difficult engine to source. The car itself is in great nick, so I'm reluctant to just write it off.
    Anyone know if this engine model is in any other car than a modeo, as this is limiting my search.
    Also any ideas where to source a second hand/refurb engine? .. or how much I can expect to pay?
    Any help greatly appreciated. ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

I've used this crowd before: http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?id=SB0002699580000010 They were quite good, had a lot of cars that they were breaking up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I think that's the same engine that's powering the Volvo S40/V50 1.8 to this day.

Would also have been used in the Focus - was for sale in the UK with the 1.8 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think that's the same engine that's powering the Volvo S40/V50 1.8 to this day.

Would also have been used in the Focus - was for sale in the UK with the 1.8 engine.

Thanks for the info so far guys,

Is there an issue with using a zetec from another car, like an ECU conflict for different sensors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is the engine totally trashed, or could it be rebuilt? If the conrod knocked holes in the block on the way out then probably not, but if the block is intact, it could make sense economically to rebuild it if you have a good mechanic who is willing to take it on.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Is the engine totally trashed, or could it be rebuilt? If the conrod knocked holes in the block on the way out then probably not, but if the block is intact, it could make sense economically to rebuild it if you have a good mechanic who is willing to take it on.

Well they haven't taken it appart , just the noises coming out of there when running are not sweet, alot of vibration when running, (but of couse that can be due to imbalance of running on 3). I believe parts are very hard to get for these engines too, but maybe someone can confrim?

Spole to ford dealer , €3800 inc vat for refurb engine, another €1000 to fit.
    Good night!!. I have a good mechanic, if I can source an engine. There a lot of risks with this too, compatabilities etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

skinner2x wrote: »
    Well they haven't taken it appart , just the noises coming out of there when running are not sweet, alot of vibration when running, (but of couse that can be due to imbalance of running on 3). I believe parts are very hard to get for these engines too, but maybe someone can confrim?

Spole to ford dealer , €3800 inc vat for refurb engine, another €1000 to fit.
    Good night!!. I have a good mechanic, if I can source an engine. There a lot of risks with this too, compatabilities etc...

Try www.traynors.co.uk for one. Remember there were a few different 1.8 litre engines in that model Mondeo. The 110bhp version in the LX, the 125bhp version in the Zetec and a 130bhp direct injection version in the Ghia.

I would stick to searching from one from a Mondeo to be honest in the event one from a Focus or Volvo would have different external fittings or componants.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Try www.traynors.co.uk for one. Remember there were a few different 1.8 litre engines in that model Mondeo. The 110bhp version in the LX, the 125bhp version in the Zetec and a 130bhp direct injection version in the Ghia.

I would stick to searching from one from a Mondeo to be honest in the event one from a Focus or Volvo would have different external fittings or componants.

I tried them, Bazz66, but they had none in the 1.8. I believe mines a 125BHP.
    Thanks anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I tried them, Bazz66, but they had none in the 1.8. I believe mines a 125BHP.
    Thanks anyway...

Ah bugger! They are usually good for stuff. I would not spend €3.8k plus labour on a new one from Ford, you could nearly buy another 01 Mondeo for that.

I'd say the UK is your best bet then.

The saga continues....

I've got a wreckers in gorey, wexford. Who have an engine, but its sold to a guy for €1000. OK
    But.. the mondeo they're swapping it into has a block , but no head . (log story about the owner disagreeing with another garage over cost of having the head skimmed... it had blown a head gasket).
    So 'apparently' this block is OK, just needs a head, which I have. I can get it for €300.
    I asked what guarantee would I get, guy said get the mechanic to call him , but that block is fine, he can inspect etc. If it didn't work, money back. Problem is , my mech would charge approx 600-700€ to fit regardless.
    Does this sound high risk?
    From people I spoke to so far, this engine is V scarce, and fetching €1000 to £1000!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hi all,

I in a spot of bother. My wifes 2001 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec blew up 2 days ago, (conrod became detached , is rattling aound in the bottom of engine). Wasn't ran dry, but maybe the guy who had it before me did?
    Mechanic tells me that they're a very difficult engine to source. The car itself is in great nick, so I'm reluctant to just write it off.
    Anyone know if this engine model is in any other car than a modeo, as this is limiting my search.
    Also any ideas where to source a second hand/refurb engine? .. or how much I can expect to pay?
    Any help greatly appreciated. ...
    Are you planning on keeping the car for long? If so you can get a new engine block complete with only pistons, con rods and the crankshaft off ford. That wont cost more than €1500 im guessing.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info so far guys,

Is there an issue with using a zetec from another car, like an ECU conflict for different sensors?
    You just keep the ECU from your car and put in on the new engine. AFAIK ford will probly have to do a bit of dianostics to get it right.

Plug wrote: »
    Are you planning on keeping the car for long? If so you can get a new engine block complete with only pistons, con rods and the crankshaft off ford. That wont cost more than €1500 im guessing.

More €3800 in total.
    Its that catch 22 . Paid €6700 for car 1 yr ago. Do I risk throwing good money after bad? But then buy another car, still running same risk. I 'm sure people are facing this decision every day. . always a gamble with 2nd hand cars.
    I had (still have, taking it out of retirement now) an almera for 7 yrs, cost no more than €600 in parts in that time.

MazdA 6 have same engine , just discovered. Going to call mechanic now.

Definitely going back to Japanese cars in the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I thought you said that the Mazda 6 ( japanese ) uses the same engine ? :rolleyes:

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I thought you said that the Mazda 6 ( japanese ) uses the same engine ? :rolleyes:

Good point..... I mean Toyota /Nissan.

Spoke to mechanic, the Mazda and the Mondeo minus head option both high risk. He'd head there'd been serious issues getting parts .. even down to gaskets... probably why the guy in story above went for new engine....

I'd agree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i think i have sourced some engines

Thanks for your enquiry.

We are able to offer alternative solutions:-

1) Supply a fully remanufactured engine for £995.00 + vat.

2) Supply a secondhand engine with 44,000 miles (approx) for £850.00 + vat

3) Worldwide shipping can be arranged

4) Guarantee on supplied engines are for 12 months / 12,000 miles (whichever is sooner)

For a full estimate, give us a call on +44 208 744 7000 and speak to one of our sales team.

For full warranties and terms please go to the link for “T&C’s” at www.heathrowengines.co.uk

let me know how you get on

Thanks Tigger, but it looks like this price is based on giving them your own engine. I found this on the website

Important Customer Information
    Heathrow Engine Center re-manufactures engines at our own on-site facilities. All of our advertised prices are based on the assumption that your existing engine is serviceable and can be re-machined by us to use again.

ENGINES

The advertised price is for a bare engine only and consists of the cylinder head, block, sump and all internal components.

The advertised price does not include VAT, fitting, engine oil, oil filter, fitting gaskets and ‘ancillary’ parts such as (where applicable), timing belt, spark plugs, antifreeze, water pump, clutch, drive belts and pulleys, hoses, distributor, HT leads, electronic sensors, starter motor, alternator etc. All of these items will be transferred from your existing engine to the replacement unit.

The following components of your existing engine must be free of cracks and or damage and capable of being re-machined to use again.

1) The cylinder head casting including camshaft, lifters and valve guides.
    2) The cylinder block casting.
    3) The crankshaft.
    4) The connecting rods.

Strange request , since usually you're replacing for this reason. I think I call them tomorrow anyway..

More €3800 in total.
    Its that catch 22 . Paid €6700 for car 1 yr ago. Do I risk throwing good money after bad? But then buy another car, still running same risk. I 'm sure people are facing this decision every day. . always a gamble with 2nd hand cars.
    I had (still have, taking it out of retirement now) an almera for 7 yrs, cost no more than €600 in parts in that time.

MazdA 6 have same engine , just discovered. Going to call mechanic now.

No that €3800 is for a complete engine im on about just the basics, no sump or head, valves, anything. Just the 'heart' of the engine. You'd be better going this route because who knows a second hand engine might give in also a new engine will be under ford warrenty. Better in the long run;)

No that €3800 is for a complete engine im on about just the basics, no sump or head, valves, anything. Just the 'heart' of the engine. You'd be better going this route because who knows a second hand engine might give in also a new engine will be under ford warrenty. Better in the long run;)
    Ah sorry, I understand now. From what the mechanic tells me , its appears piston is wedged in the cylinder, (but cannot tell for definite without stripping down), so I expect there may be some cylinder/liner damage.

Are you planning on hanging on to that car for long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Not only that, but the Mondeo's 1.8 engine was Mazda designed too.

Have to say I appreciate the irony of "Definitely going back to Japanese cars in the future.." though.

I'm amazed that there are no used Mondeo 1.8 engines lying about the place though too. It's not like there are no 1.8 Mondeos in these isles.

The question the OP has to answer for himself is the very one he asked "Is it worth throwing good money after bad" on the car?

Buying any used car is a risky business. Unfortunately what happened to the OP can happen with any car.

For ultimate peace of mind you'd be looking at a new engine. But that would probably cost more than the car is worth.

It's a tricky situation that I wouldn't wish anyone to be in though.

• Advertisement

Are you planning on hanging on to that car for long?

If I manage to put an engine in it, I'll kept it till the death, only way to get my money back. (cost €6700 a year ago). Its my wifes car, she's quite fond of it.

Advertisement