Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be a big, bright, shining star...

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Used to be check these forums a good while back and often found it helpful (although I never posted). After having a good look at some of the logs here I've decided to set up one myself - it'll be good for receiving some feedback (positive or negative) and it'll also be helpful in motivating me at certain times. So, below I will post what my current set up is like (diet focuses on some John Berardi material I picked up off a friend a while back).

Weight: 166 lbs
    Height: 5 foot 11
    Where I train: Home
    Equipment: Bench, barbell, dumbbells, EZ bar

Diet:

Morning:
    Omlette with 3 whole eggs, spinach, 1 slice of cheese, pineapple and a cup of green tea.

Meal 2/3/4:
    Salad containing a handful of spinach, 1 chicken fillet, half a pepper, nuts, oil and vinegar.

During workout:
    Protein shake with twice the amount of glucose (small bags you pick up in Tesco)

Post workout:
    Same as above.

Meal 5:
    Pasta/rice, 1 chicken fillet, handful of spinach, some other vegetable (pepper/brocolli), oil + vinegar, or soy sauce if it's rice.

Meal 6:
    Shake containing flax seeds, cottage cheese, whey, splenda, water, almonds/walnuts/pecan nuts.

Typical workout:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:
    5 minute warm up, barbell bench press 5x5, dumbbell rows (3 sets, 10, 8, 6), tabata squats, barbell deadlift 5x5, dips using two chairs if I'm up to it (usually 5 sets of 15).

A few things I've noticed etc.

The 5x5 can be a little annoying at times as the first few sets don't really push me but then I can really feel it once I hit the last set (I presume this is what the 5x5 routine is all about?). Also, my diet is pretty much clean throughout the entire week except for Friday and Saturday nights where I usually let myself go and eat a load of junk. The diet will be good for 5 meals, then it goes to pot.

Anyways, if you've any inputs that'd be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Wednesday 21st (80% day)

Barbell bench press (5x35) (5x40.5) (5x46) (5x49) (52.5)

Dumbell row (10x17) (8x18.5) (6x20)

Tabata squats (4 minutes)

Deadlift (5x42) (5x49) (5x56) (5x59.5) (65)

Thoughts on this:

Felt pretty damn tried for the entire session. I usually fly through a session like this but I think the fact that I only got 5 hours sleep might have contributed to my fatigue. As you can see, an 80% day in 5x5 can mean that the weights are pretty low in comparison to what I can really lift. Has anyone noticed that themselves when they were doing this sort of routine? Also, during my deadlifts I could really feel it in my lower back - I take it that this is a good thing?

Tabata is a true killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Also, during my deadlifts I could really feel it in my lower back - I take it that this is a good thing?

Yes, deadlifts certainly work the lower back - so this would be considered normal. However, if you're in any way unsure of your form I would recommend somebody with competant lifting knowledge take a look at it. If you're consistantly pulling with bad form like a rounded back - there is a high probability that you're headed towards picking up an injury.

Oh and I think you've interpreted the 5x5 method wrong. My understanding is that you should do the 5 sets at the same weight for 5 reps after about 2 warm-up sets. I.e your bench press should be something like this:

Bar x10
    30kg x8
    52.5kg 5x5

When you are able to do all the required reps add 2.5kgs to the bar the next time, i.e

Week1 50kg 5x5
    Week 2 52.5kg 3x5, x4, x3
    Week 3 52.5kg 4x5, x4
    Week 4 52.5kg 5x5
    Week 5 55kg etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Hey man thanks for that post. I just posted in the main forum about the whole 5x5 business just to make sure. Also, I think I'll record myself deadlifting and post it so I can get an opinion on that.

What I meant to say is that you've interpreted the 5x5 wrong for your experience and the amount of weight you're moving - i.e. It would be beneficial for you to do 5x5 at the same weight given that you're not at an intermediate/advanced level yet.

I know Bill Starr recommends ramping up the weight like what you are doing here:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

But keeping the weight the same for all sets would probably be more beneficial for you.

Wow man there some crazy a$$ lifts you got goin on there! Edit ftw :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement