Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental gone wrong, deposit not returned

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Recently I attempted to rent a house through an estate agent. I sent deposit and first months rent but at the last moment(one hour before we were to receive the keys) the estate agent called us to say that the house owner had accepted a bid privately for the house.

This frustration (and the cost and inconvenience of having packed our belongings and arranged a mover) aside, we still have not received the return of the money sent to the house owner for the deposit and first month rent, coming up to a month later.

What are my options to get my funds back, call the gardai? I can't see hiring a lawyer as being particularly cost effective, and legal action may tie up the funds for even longer..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

How did you pay the deposit? If by cheque, maybe you could contact your bank to get the cheque cancelled? The way I see it, is regardless of where the money is your dealings were always with the EA, so put pressure on them to refund the deposit, as that is who your contract is with, in a matter of speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Personally I'd call into their office, and wouldn't leave until they refunded the money. Seems the logical course of action to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

As a matter of interest, had you signed a lease prior to handing this money over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I had a similar issue getting a deposit back after moving out of a place. I basically just hounded the estate agent into the ground. I would call to the office pretty much every day and tell the whole place about the situation along with calling and emails. After seeming to initially think I would go away, the individual finally relented.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

YOu should send them an email regarding the whole issue underlining what they have doen wrong etc and cc the local newspapers and radio stations and stuff.. Also you should contact Citizens Information Bureau. They're really helpful & they'll let ya know all your rights & stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Contact the http://www.iavi.ie/ or the http://www.ipav.ie/ and the http://www.nca.ie

This is completely unnaceptable, as withholding your money is effectively denying you a roof over your head as you dont have the funds. Go to estate agents office and demand your money back, as suggested by the other poster, who do these cowboys think they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Name and shame also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

solicitors letter

joe duffy

and please name and warn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I had a similar issue getting a deposit back after moving out of a place. I basically just hounded the estate agent into the ground.

You know I've been thinking about the above situation. I've moved out of places myself and then waited on the agency or whoever to send on the deposit. Is that what everyone does? Because this time I'm telling the agent to show up with the cheque/draft for the deposit when I'm handing in the key.

No deposit for me, you don't get the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You seriously have to ask yourself if you have been scammed.

Go to them tomorrow and if you don't get your money, get a solicitor and / or the Garda onto it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement