Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for credit card in bank branch? How long?

• 21-05-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Am heading to Florida in a fortnight and both myself and my girlfriend have been completely run round in circles with the application process for Tesco's Credit Card.

Not to digress too much but they told my girlfriend 1 proof of documentation would suffice, but I needed 2 (we're in the exact same situation more or less financially etc.). And as we were onto two seperate operators, they couldn't give us a valid reason why.

They accepted her application 2 weeks ago and she rang yesterday and said everything was accepted and it should be with her soon. She got a letter this morning saying her proof of address couldn't be accepted as it had her firstname's initial as opposed to her full firstname. She's more pissed off that they didn't tell her this sooner. So she cancelled her application. And i'm thinking of doing the same as I applied a week later and if I recieve bad news this time next week, really won't have any time at all to cancel and re-apply for another one.

So if I cancel my application now and apply for a credit card in my bank branch, would you think I'd be able to get it before I leave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It might be cutting it tight tbh - but if you go in armed with every document you have and speak to someone, they might try and push it through asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers BuffyBot.

Now to ring Tesco and cancel my credit card application (which I bet they'll be reluctant to do). But I'd rather take a fighting chance of getting one in the branch than waiting on Tesco to give me bad news.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If you've everything needed at the start and your account is good. 2 weeks has been the times i've been seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Girlfriend tried her luck this morning in her bank (Bank of Ireland) and she filled out the application there and then (and told her of the rush in getting it), and said it should be with her by this time next week. And her PIN will arrive 2 days later.

Cancelled with Tesco (who hadn't even recieved my documentation yet.. thank feck I didn't wait.. they'd a backlog of 9 days!) and am going into AIB at lunch and try to get a credit card application filled and sent off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

As tesco are not a bank / financial institution they are probably just rebranding someone else's credit card, hence the longer delay......

Also bank of ireland have a quite high interest rate on their credit cards. It might be worth getting a card from another bank in the future....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As tesco are not a bank / financial institution they are probably just rebranding someone else's credit card, hence the longer delay......

Also bank of ireland have a quite high interest rate on their credit cards. It might be worth getting a card from another bank in the future....

Tesco - Credit cards are provided by Ulster Bank. Enough said.

True, BOI do have high interest credit cards but I think you would be hard pressed to find a credit card provider that offers such an innovative product as the 2 in 1 card - http://www.bankofireland.ie/personal/day_to_day/credit_card/2_in_1/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

stepbar wrote: »
    Tesco - Credit cards are provided by Ulster Bank. Enough said.

True, BOI do have high interest credit cards but I think you would be hard pressed to find a credit card provider that offers such an innovative product as the 2 in 1 card - http://www.bankofireland.ie/personal/day_to_day/credit_card/2_in_1/index.html

you and you BOI are great and UB suck stance :p

Its true, I've a BOI CC for close to 8 years and I work for UB... I'd not have a UB CC....

Advertisement