Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom is getting on my nervs..

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Seriously lads, the whole MGMT thing is getting a tad annoying now. That and the tingtings. Its getting to the point where i just change channel and forget about phantom completely as i get sucked into the mindless dribble that these other stations produce. I awoke from a daze while sitting in my car to the sound of some chap screaming

"apple bottom jeans, boots with de fuuur" Apparently this is what music is at at the moment according to other stations.

Can you please go back to the way it was? Stop playing crap and passing it off like its amazing work, for the love of god!

Some spanish chap saying "enjoy yourself take only what you need from it" a million times is just not good music. Aside from the shoddy production its just terrible music.

Its been ages since i've heard interpol or queens of the stone age on sinister petes show or jack hylands.

Im not flaming here, its just getting a tad repetitive on my drive to and from work. I know what songs to expect, and they are all ****e.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

have to agree with you, especially about the ting tings. i woke up to 'that's not my name' every morning for weeks now. (and i mean Every morning, i wish to god i was exaggerating. :/ ) and i didnt even like the song to begin with!!
    seriously folks, there are so many awesome songs out there you Could be playing. i remember years ago, when MTV2 was cool (sound weird, but it was true! really!) then they started playing the same songs over and over, in a 'this is what the NME want you to be listening to, or youre not cool' kinda way, and now who watches mtv2??? please dont let phantom go the same way, yis have been so awesome for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

tell me about

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055259069

tried listening to phantom but can't listen to the same songs all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

have to agree with you, especially about the ting tings. i woke up to 'that's not my name' every morning for weeks now. (and i mean Every morning, i wish to god i was exaggerating. :/ ) and i didnt even like the song to begin with!!

Ditto, i hate everything they have produced.

i remember years ago, when MTV2 was cool (sound weird, but it was true! really!) then they started playing the same songs over and over, in a 'this is what the NME want you to be listening to, or youre not cool' kinda way, and now who watches mtv2???

Back when the concept of a music channel that actually played music was a fresh idea. MTV2 Was a class channel! I boycott tv these days, but when i did watch it, it was mainly music channels. I definitly agree, it feels like phantom are telling us what to listen to by repeating the same garbage over and over. Ham sandwich? Sh1t sandwich more like. The last few songs that have been played over and over have been terrible! The new track is class tho, but still.
    please dont let phantom go the same way, yis have been so awesome for so long.

Yea, i agree. It was great, only in the last few months that it seems phantom have been doing this. Its not to late to turn back!
    tell me about

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055259069

tried listening to phantom but can't listen to the same songs all the time.

Terrible!

On a side note, i used to text in to pete pretty much every day as 'markie' and ask for a tune. id get played 2/3 times a week(which was grand).. however in the last few months anytime i even ask to play the more commercial stuff such as editors or interpol i get ignored. I havnt had a response from phantom in months!

havnt had a chance to listen to edels show in a while, is she playing the same stuff aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

MGMT and Ting Tings are just current alternative hits that have crossed over to the mainstream. You got to playlist some songs more than others even at the risk of alienating a select few. I think it would be fair to say even if you don't like those particular two songs, a great deal of Phantom listeners at that time of day do.

In all fairness, Phantom can't always cater to the tastes of individual listeners... but at least they try, every day I hear song requests played from obscure bands that I've never heard before.

Just thank your lucky stars that Phantom don't playlist Duffy and Amy Winehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I will say, and don't shoot me down for this, those promos featuring "actual members of the public" are corny as heck. Even if they aren't actors they surely sound like it.

• Advertisement

I will say, and don't shoot me down for this, those promos featuring "actual members of the public" are corny as heck. Even if they aren't actors they surely sound like it.

oh god, theyre corny! none of them even sound sure they know what station theyre talking about!

wouldn't it be sweet if they dug up the old Flopsy the Bunny ads? they were amazing :D

oh god, theyre corny! none of them even sound sure they know what station theyre talking about!

wouldn't it be sweet if they dug up the old Flopsy the Bunny ads? they were amazing :D

Exactly! I don't think I'm being too controversial by saying Phantoms adverts and idents have all become worse since they went legit. Just because you got the pat on the back from the BCI does not mean you have to be so conservative lads ;)

Have some fun with it!

dead air wrote: »
    MGMT and Ting Tings are just current alternative hits that have crossed over to the mainstream. You got to playlist some songs more than others even at the risk of alienating a select few. I think it would be fair to say even if you don't like those particular two songs, a great deal of Phantom listeners at that time of day do.

Of course! Just not every hour. Its really a bit much to hear those songs on prime time radio over and over.
    In all fairness, Phantom can't always cater to the tastes of individual listeners... but at least they try, every day I hear song requests played from obscure bands that I've never heard before.

Of course, i wouldnt have it that way otherwise i wouldnt hear new bands. Thats why phantom is great! Only they have a nack for playing terrible songs over and over.. Does anyone remember that one.. something about "eating up all his refreshers".. Pete loved it, but day in day out he went on about him getting loads of texts from people saying they hated it. It was actually after i texted him that he said that "I know you dont like that song markie, alot of people dont but i do, so im gonna play it". The way it was said was funny and my text was in jest and was taken the right way too. But again, this is an example of a terrible song thats getting absolutly RINSED on phantom. I honestly change the channel to avoid it, then end up zoning out completely as crap gets trickled through my car speakers.
    Just thank your lucky stars that Phantom don't playlist Duffy and Amy Winehouse.

Actually they do play amy, they play the cover she did of vallerie.. a fair bit (i think).. I think amy winehouse is alright for a certain mood. Im quite the northern soul fan, i like most stuff around that genre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

Interesting topic.

People's perceptions of how often tracks/bands get played can vary wildly - for every "you are always playing xxy" text, there will be a "you never play xxy" to match it.

I think the Ting Tings track comes to notice because it is a very striking song, which gets into your head in a good or bad way depending on your opinion (I'm a fan myself).

On Random Access it gets heavily requested, even if it has been recently played (i.e. on The Rock Census just before). It is popular, and it's not uncommon to get texts asking "why do you not play it" but then there can be those sort of texts for other bands who get played too.

I think it's a bit like waiting for the bus. You'll keep noticing all those 46As going past. Unless you're waiting for the 46A of course, in which case they will all be 11s.

Steve Conway
    (all opinions my own only)

well, credit where credit's due, they've a wide enough playlist to cater for so many peoples tastes, and high fives all round for that, but it was geting to a point there where i'd hear Ting Tings every hour or so. and it wasn't that i was noticing it because its so catchy, i only started noticing it Because i'd hear it and think 'didnt you JUST play this?'
    maybe a bit more communication between presenters would help? if sinster pete is gonna play a song at like, 9.30, maybe the next presenter doesnt play it until at least 11.30, IF AT ALL? but someone playing a song halfway through their show, then the net show opening with same song, can drive a girl to madness

• Advertisement

Aquavid wrote: »
    Interesting topic.

People's perceptions of how often tracks/bands get played can vary wildly - for every "you are always playing xxy" text, there will be a "you never play xxy" to match it.

ok, but should there not be a limit on how often you play a song? It has been YONKS since i've heard obsticle1 for example from interpol. For the record im using interpol as an example allot because i would see them as a good example of a widely acceptable medium because like them or love them, you cant argue the point that their music is phenomenal. The TingTings... not so..
    Aquavid wrote: »
    I think the Ting Tings track comes to notice because it is a very striking song, which gets into your head in a good or bad way depending on your opinion (I'm a fan myself).

Thats an excellent point. The fact is that it stands out more when it comes on the radio which brings to my attention how much its played on phantom - there are much better bands out there that deserve that radio time, i just assumed that phantom would have noticed that.

well, credit where credit's due, they've a wide enough playlist to cater for so many peoples tastes, and high fives all round for that, but it was geting to a point there where i'd hear Ting Tings every hour or so. and it wasn't that i was noticing it because its so catchy, i only started noticing it Because i'd hear it and think 'didnt you JUST play this?'
    maybe a bit more communication between presenters would help? if sinster pete is gonna play a song at like, 9.30, maybe the next presenter doesnt play it until at least 11.30, IF AT ALL? but someone playing a song halfway through their show, then the net show opening with same song, can drive a girl to madness

Exactly, as i said in my first point of this post - limit the song to x ammount of plays a week.. preferably a saturday night from about 2am to 7am, get them played all around that time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

red_ice wrote: »
    Its been ages since i've heard interpol or queens of the stone age on sinister petes show or jack hylands.

Im not flaming here, its just getting a tad repetitive on my drive to and from work. I know what songs to expect, and they are all ****e.

And bangin' out Interpol and QOTSA wouldn't be at all repetetive? C'mon I've heard those played on Phantom more times than I've heard my dog bark.

But I understand where you're coming from. I'm sick to death of the Ting-fooking-tings!! They are pure sh1te!!! Not just them but the likes of the chapters etc. A lot of the music is so 'samey' and boring. Though they are the current trends, there's more room for bands as you've mentioned, though not necessarily just them (QOSTA, Interpol) again imo.

Have to disagree on MGMT though. I've liked them for quite a while now (before being overplayed on Phantom) and I think it's a great album, really well produced and a tad different.

Cheer up though, it's not all bad, you could just throw your Ipod (or insert brand of mp3 player here) on in your car or whatever instead from time to time. It's what I do. It's what I have to do or I'll break my radio! :D

Predhead wrote: »
    And bangin' out Interpol and QOTSA wouldn't be at all repetetive? C'mon I've heard those played on Phantom more times than I've heard my dog bark.

well i said they were examples. One of the angles i was going for was that they have a great back catalog. Not just 2 songs! The ratio of interpol to tingtings is easily 5:1
    Have to disagree on MGMT though. I've liked them for quite a while now (before being overplayed on Phantom) and I think it's a great album, really well produced and a tad different.

Yea, the conversation seems to have strayed from them, i seem to hear them a SMIDGE less than the tingtings. You've liked MGMT, but would you say they have other material that should be played other than that same track? As you said earlier, its very samey i rekon.. its more or less the same sound as fight like apes!
    Cheer up though, it's not all bad, you could just throw your Ipod (or insert brand of mp3 player here) on in your car or whatever instead from time to time. It's what I do. It's what I have to do or I'll break my radio! :D

Yea, i got good auld death from above 1979 and blood red shoes to fall back on, with brendan benson, archie bronson outfit and most recently Bon Iver! My god what a great album! Im just too lazy to put new music in my car - thats phantoms job! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its not about liking one song or another its the fact they play them so many times a day/a week?

its not about liking one song or another its the fact they play them so many times a day/a week?

exactly- even if it's the best song in the world, if you hear it ten times a day every day for weeks, you're eventually going to hate the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 John Caddell

Hi All

John Caddell here, Head Of Music at Phantom 105.2. Thanks to everyone for your comments, we do listen. Yes, there are certain new songs on Phantom that get played more than others, but at the same time we like to think that the music mix has something for everyone with an interest in rock, and if you don't like the song that's on at the moment, chances are you'll like the next one. Also, certain current songs/singles get heavier rotation because they tend to get requested more.

Cheers

John

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I listen to Phantom a good bit - Pete, Heavy Traffic most days and random other shows.

And i agree, some songs gets played more often than other, that flaws song and pigeon detectives are two you can add to the ting tings. As well as sinister pete playing the flight of the conchord robot song every day for about a month, it was mildly funny the first time i heard it about a year ago.

Big kudos to the album archive Derek Byrne. Love that show, also is there any way i could get a listen to the Wilco show from about 2 weeks ago, i missed it!!

Ans also to the presenter who always plays Jackson C Frank and Elliott Smith for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Wow, and there I was thinking I was the only one who thought Phantom had gone off the boil.

It has become a TERRIBLE station and not just because of repetitive plays of songs which are all over the air on other stations. It's also down to the presenters. Sinister Pete is a man trying to be a joke which just was not really funny to begin with. I can't listen to Phantom in the morning because he puts me in a bad mood. That guy who's on at Lunchtime really doesn't have a clue unless it's some overplayed stuff from about 10 years ago (Offspring comes to mind) and the Heavy Traffic programme fellow sounds as if he's reading from an autocue script all the time and is about as lively as a funeral director. John Caddell's nighttime show sounds lazy as if he just can't be bothered anymore. And please, no more tack like Wings or Tom Petty or Simple Minds or U2 - that might do for the Classic Rock station if the BCI are stupid eough to give ye another station to mess up.

As has always been the case, the Weekend shows are way, way better - the two Richies, Emma Mehan, Derek Byrne, Pearl, Sinead on Phantom Anthems (who has at least got the daily slot Edel - who was brilliant - used to have), Nadine O'Regan on The Kiosk, Jim Carroll, Bob Dylan (the best show on the station of all) and Cathal Funge. Why are these DJs not on during the week? They're the ones playing the best music and - most important of all - sounding ENTHUSIASTIC about what they do. That's what I - and obviously 1000s of others, going on the last JNLR figures - want from an alternative music station. Not what Phantom has become

Wow, and there I was thinking I was the only one who thought Phantom had gone off the boil.

It has become a TERRIBLE station and not just because of repetitive plays of songs which are all over the air on other stations. It's also down to the presenters. Sinister Pete is a man trying to be a joke which just was not really funny to begin with. I can't listen to Phantom in the morning because he puts me in a bad mood. That guy who's on at Lunchtime really doesn't have a clue unless it's some overplayed stuff from about 10 years ago (Offspring comes to mind) and the Heavy Traffic programme fellow sounds as if he's reading from an autocue script all the time and is about as lively as a funeral director. John Caddell's nighttime show sounds lazy as if he just can't be bothered anymore. And please, no more tack like Wings or Tom Petty or Simple Minds or U2 - that might do for the Classic Rock station if the BCI are stupid eough to give ye another station to mess up.

As has always been the case, the Weekend shows are way, way better - the two Richies, Emma Mehan, Derek Byrne, Pearl, Sinead on Phantom Anthems (who has at least got the daily slot Edel - who was brilliant - used to have), Nadine O'Regan on The Kiosk, Jim Carroll, Bob Dylan (the best show on the station of all) and Cathal Funge. Why are these DJs not on during the week? They're the ones playing the best music and - most important of all - sounding ENTHUSIASTIC about what they do. That's what I - and obviously 1000s of others, going on the last JNLR figures - want from an alternative music station. Not what Phantom has become

I do think this is way too harsh, there has got to be some form of compromise between what gets played, and as for the presenters while some i like and some i dislike i don't think any sound unenthuasiastic.

You have got to remember that it's still a new radio station and every listener is not going to be happy, so far so good, i hope there are some improvements over the next few months, it would be cool to see a shake up of the schedule at the end of the summer.

The Icon show and New Music shows are great ideas at times though track selection could be more varied (more so on the New Music Show)

I would like to give Cathal Funge a big kudos, great show last wknd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CrAiC_PiPe

Hi All

John Caddell here, Head Of Music at Phantom 105.2. Thanks to everyone for your comments, we do listen. Yes, there are certain new songs on Phantom that get played more than others, but at the same time we like to think that the music mix has something for everyone with an interest in rock, and if you don't like the song that's on at the moment, chances are you'll like the next one. Also, certain current songs/singles get heavier rotation because they tend to get requested more.

Cheers

John

No soup for you! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 the mighty elk

Hi All

Cheers

John

We listened to phantom everyday but in the last few weeks the amount of time given over to inane chatter, pointless interviews and things like entertainment gossip has increased massively.Was this a conscious decision?
    Phantom is running the risk of becoming a slightly rockier version of today fm if it continues down this road.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I do think this is way too harsh, there has got to be some form of compromise between what gets played, and as for the presenters while some i like and some i dislike i don't think any sound unenthuasiastic.

Yea, way too harsh! I didnt start this thread as a phantom bash - its still by far the best station on air in ireland by a long shot, i was simply having a go at them playing the same songs. Having a go at the presenters isnt really cool, i think they all do a top notch job and the conversations on music really show that they know what they are talking about when it comes down to why we are tuned into them... music.
    You have got to remember that it's still a new radio station and every listener is not going to be happy, so far so good, i hope there are some improvements over the next few months, it would be cool to see a shake up of the schedule at the end of the summer.

yea, this is true. I think the station has gone from one extreme of playing a great selection and never really hearing the same thing 2/3times in one day to the other of playing it 10 times a day.. its just finding the right balance i reckon.
    The Icon show and New Music shows are great ideas at times though track selection could be more varied (more so on the New Music Show)

i love icon, its great hearing crappy quality recordings on the air giving bands a chance to get a song played. Excellent shot imho!

Phantom is running the risk of becoming a slightly rockier version of today fm if it continues down this road.

You really are a philistine... (BUT IM A GIRL?!) AAAHH HAHAHAH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dubdub

Hi all,

I wouldn’t agree by any stretch of the imagination that Phantom is becoming a terrible radio station. Because we are all avid listeners we are bound to hear the same songs repeated as we are listening so often. It just so happens that the Ting Tings have a really catchy (and annoying) song. Some people obviously like the song and are requesting it a lot. Phantom are just doing their part and giving those listeners what they want.

I agree that the promos from ‘members of the public’ are absolutely terrible. There is silence in the background so obviously not even done out on the street. Hit the streets Phantom, I am sure you will find plenty of listeners with their genuine views to give.

The thing that has me switching the radio off recently is Neil Austin’s ad for the Longest Day. V annoying. Even though I really like Neil Austin’s show (and am listening right now) and I will be at the Longest Day that ad is just cringey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Wow, alot of upset people around here. For the record I've defended the Ting-Tings and their type of music in another thread so that's not for here.
    However, you obviously can't please all the people all of the time. For example I can't stand anything from Red Hot Chilli Peppers since Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic but understand there's a vast amount of people out there who do so just have to live with it when they're played.
    Their play list, imo, is perfectly balanced. You get the obscure bands mixed in with the more well known alternative/rock bands throughout the day with the specialist shows in the evenings catering for a specific audience. If you only play music catering for one or two people throughout the day you take the risk of alientating a large share of your audience. As for songs being repeated, if they're currently popular amongst listeners they'll obviously be requested alot, they'll fade away eventually.

And don't dis Sinister Peter, best morning show by far !

Windocleaner, I think the daytime schedule is fine, if you don't like it just don't listen as obviously there's a whole lot more that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

There should be some rules in place were if a song was played in the last show it can't be played in the next one. I think that would stop repetitive playing of certain songs.
    I'd also like to see more album tracks from bands because every time a band are played it's the same songs which are normally singles.
    I think the best kind of radio show is the one that plays songs they think people haven;t heard before ..be they new or old. That's why i listen to radio so i can hear new music i'm not going to request something i have on cd or on my i-pod.
    As for the djs i think they are all pretty much ok except for Jack Highland who's voice just really annoys me and the music he plays doesn;t do much for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

I have to agree with a lot of what has been said here. I really like a lot of the speciality shows (evenings) and night time music. ("The Phantom" is still excellent but rarely on in modern times). Also it's nice to be able to rely on it being there (never used it as a morning alarm station in the pre-legal days for obvious reasons). However the day time programming has far too little music and far too much of the same music IMHO.
    Is Phantom limited by its licence agreement on how much of a certain type of music it can play? If so can we petition for change on this?

Personally I find that Phantom too often loses out (in reaching my ears) to stations such as DCAL and RnaLife - especially the latter which is great for playing a wide variety of genres all mixed up together.

Anyway - I've always been a big fan of Phantom and I still listen to it more than all other audio media put together; but I really feel it could be so much better.
    Dear Phantom: You have an amazing music library; please make the most of it!

P.S. An idea which previously struck was this:
    Could Phantom host a second web stream which just plays "The Phantom"? I know other radio stations which have mulitple web stream variants and I think it could be a reasonably straightforward torch bearer for Phantom's music credentials.
    Any thoughts on this?

I'll weigh in on the Ting Tings thing (heh). Any regard for them I had has long since passed, you just cannot listen to their stuff repeatedly without it driving you mad. I honestly can't think of another band outside the pop world that makes the transition from catchy to annoying so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kurt Cocaine

I'm glad i'm not imagining that Phanthom has been creeping into a more commercial sphere. Seems theres a few of us that feel that way.

Before Phanthom, the last radio station i listened to on any sort of basis was a station called Vibe FM 107.?, that was a pirate station in the early 90's playing house music, rave etc... but good stuff!!(a second Vibe Fm came after playing ****e dance muzic. Not the one i'm on about in case any of ye are cursing it). I CANNOT listen to ANY other station during the day. Today, 98, 2FM, Spin *spits* all make my brain hurt. Its all the inane chatter and happy-happy, joy-joy ****e. Can't be dealing with it. But, NOW if i turn on Phanthom theres a good chance that I'll hear some very similar chatter. Not a good move for ye.!! When i first started listening to Phanthom i would take note of music i liked and download it later that day, as i'm sure many of your listeners do. It was great and i got to hear music i liked but would not have been exposed to on other stations. Now i find myself switching off from what seems to be a much more commercial sound. I'm listening to ****ing Newstalk more and more just to avoid pop and bull**** conversations and ads.

You have a great fan base for your station and we love that you're here for us to listen to but please go back to what made you popular and don't sell out the station. Otherwise it'll be like the others where the music interupts the ads and not the other way around

I only came to the forum to find out who plays the reggae on phanthom and where to find a playlist. If anyone knows please point me in the right direction.

I second the idea for an online "The Phantom" stream if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Reading this thread and thinking about the history of PhantomFM, I'm getting a bit nostalgic and teary eyed.
    Also knowing the ultra hard work that all the folks in Phantom have but in from the start......it makes it hard for me to say this but.............
    But I've TURNED ON, TUNED IN AND DROPPED OFF in the past week. :(

I thought it was me getting old till I saw this thread today!!

I'll still be tuned in for the friday night raaaaawwwk show, which is my personal fave, and stadium rock is cool. But the days where it's automatically my station of choice are over!!!!!!

The morning show, sorry Pete, I'm at narky bar steward at the best of times, .....its not you ....it's me ; ) ..... but the tunes are repetitive and do my nut in as i sit in traffic.

Hometime from work, Heavy traffic, same gig.
    Jack's alright, I'd favour a side-kick/character as well, even for the first hour, a ditsy dolly bird he takes the piss out off would be good, or an indie shoe gazer clown that takes himself too seriously (i'm available for either of these roles by the way)
    Anyhoo....again its the same tunes as yesterday evening.
    But wait, Jack's promised the Pixies after the break, ace!!!!!
    Please don't be Debaser......
    ..........duu duu duu duu....duu duu duu duu....deh deh deh deh...duu duu duu duu.........debaaaaaaser again...........
    The pixies are probably the one band were 97% of their stuff is excellent and well liked by many people, there's even a fave pixies tune thread on here, so why the same tune again and again.
    Likewise with
    Alice in Chains: Them Bones.
    Nirvana: Sliver

Regarding the playing of new stuff.
    I heard a few bands that I've chased up and A BIG THANKS TO PHANTOM for that, BAND OF HORSES,Scroobius Pip, Port O' Brien, Silver Sun Pickups. etc etc. But for an alternative station its not that many, but that might be my habit of rubbishing everything after 1998 : )
    BUT THATS WHY PHNATOM IS SO IMPORTANT, to stop me turning into an old bastard that just listens to the same music i listened to when i was 25!!!!!

But when new tunes are played, they are played to death, which is the point of this thread in the first place. When i hear the opening bars to "Oxford Comma" I switch off immediately, as with Left Behind by CSS.
    Sorry but you're killing those tunes!!!!!

One other thing that made me laugh out loud, was a science type feature that lasted for about 3 minutes, with a young lady with a "please hold as we try to connect your call" voice, and soft pharmacuetical/informative muzaaaaq playing in the background. It was about a recent study into drinking or smoking (I was too gob smacked to take notes) ....COS IT WAS BEING AIRED ON A SATURDAY EVENING.....Jesus folks don't be ruining my only night of pleasure!!!

Back in the day, circa 99, me and 'er indoors used to listen to Phantom all day, ok so we couldn't afford a telly, but still, we loved the station and the tunes, and the bands we got into because of Phantom, pre-famous Dandy Warhols, Turn, etc etc........
    The station as it exists now, is a distant cousin of the "upstairs of Whelan's" pirate station, that seemed to mean something, or the shed in Sandyford.

I'd love to feel the same way about 105.2 as I did about 91.6.
    But in its current state, its doubtful ;(

But hey, enough of my yackin', I'm hopeful and I think it may get worse before it gets better. The next JNLR figures will speak volumes.
    And its up to the crew at Phantom Towers to get it together and sort it out.

ps. Don't just give away five grand to one listener. Its a bizarre competition and I'm surprised it got a second run. Its not enough money to get any one excited (neither is a €1 million lotto jackpot, these days). Even the bloke that won it doesn't sound that excited. "Brilliant!"

Sincerely,
    All the best Phantom.

You need us more than we need you!
    THATS HARSH, but have that in mind at your next AGM.

Advertisement