Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom is getting on my nervs..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macoda

Yea i like the idea of the stream too. Seems they are becoming more commercial as previously mentioned, annoying sound clips in between songs also! How long before another pirate underdog comes along while phantom gets settled into quantity plays instead of quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Surprised (and saddened) to see a thread with so many like minded people. I used to have phantom on in the car all the time and never even had another station stored on my presets. Over the last few months however things have changed.

As others have said the problems seem to be; overplaying certain songs/bands, playing the same songs by the same bands and too much talk.

On the overplaying it seems like they have changed their attitude. It used to be about playing bands you may not know in an effort to educate and broaden horizons, now it seems to be all about shoving bands down your throat.

What always annoyed me about commercial stations was that you could tune in at any random time and it was 50/50 on whether you'd hear music or not, this used not to be the case with Phantom. Unfortunately that has changed, now there are ads, news, gig guides, interviews etc clogging up the music. I like the idea of Carousel (sp?) etc, but I want to hear music more often than not.

I now listen to RnaLife as often as Phantom and even have FM104 and 98FM tuned in as presets in the car (oh the shame).

Please be great again. Failing that I hope another pirate upstart fills the void

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dub_skav wrote: »
    Surprised (and saddened) to see a thread with so many like minded people. I used to have phantom on in the car all the time and never even had another station stored on my presets. Over the last few months however things have changed.

As others have said the problems seem to be; overplaying certain songs/bands, playing the same songs by the same bands and too much talk.

On the overplaying it seems like they have changed their attitude. It used to be about playing bands you may not know in an effort to educate and broaden horizons, now it seems to be all about shoving bands down your throat.

What always annoyed me about commercial stations was that you could tune in at any random time and it was 50/50 on whether you'd hear music or not, this used not to be the case with Phantom. Unfortunately that has changed, now there are ads, news, gig guides, interviews etc clogging up the music. I like the idea of Carousel (sp?) etc, but I want to hear music more often than not.

I now listen to RnaLife as often as Phantom and even have FM104 and 98FM tuned in as presets in the car (oh the shame).

Please be great again. Failing that I hope another pirate upstart fills the void

Yeah i'd agree wit h alot of this. I find Carosuel a good idea however it's always on! Maybe it just clashes with my driving to and from work. I like JK's show on lyric alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

To be honest I've not been listening to Phantom over the last few weeks. It's not a permanent thing or anything I just needed a break, I don't know if anyone else has noticed but all Irish radio adverts are TERRIBLE.

Anyway, I would say that Phantom needs to work at injecting a bit of personality back into proceedings. I know running a commercial radio station is different than running a pirate but you might want to take a look at where you come from and re-examine what of that you can bring to what you are doing now. One suggestion I would make is scaling back sponsorship and reconsidering who sponsors the station. No offence to anyone but some of the promotions have been cringe-worthy.

I think we would all survive a few less prize give aways.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

One suggestion I would make is scaling back sponsorship and reconsidering who sponsors the station. No offence to anyone but some of the promotions have been cringe-worthy.

So you'd like Phantom to be more obscure whilst also taking less sponsorship? Did you ever run the DeLorean motor company by any chance?

• Advertisement

Call me old fasioned but I have always been in the adverts go in adbreaks camp. Yes yes I know financial concerns and all that, still its nice to listen to a show and not have to hear some marketing blurb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Ger, as it happens radio sponsorship is quite an old fashioned medium and pre-dates spot advertising. Radio Eireann had many famous sponsored shows and it was very popular in the States during the 40s and 50s.

I have a 1930s (frankly quite racist) Orson Wells episode of The Shadow where The announcer takes time out to talk about the safety benefits of Goodrich Tires

Announcer: "Who knows what hazards await you?

Wells as the Shadow: The Shadow knows! Beware! Thousands of people were killed by skidding cars last year."

So yeah its not a new phenomena! Ahh I'm being grumpy, and certainly Phantom has nothing to do with the reason I'm not listening to the Radio right now, the state of Irish radio advertising. Is there really only 3 voice actors in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

red_ice wrote: »
    well i said they were examples. One of the angles i was going for was that they have a great back catalog. Not just 2 songs! The ratio of interpol to tingtings is easily 5:1

5:1 - ah for **** sake...........

more like 5.000.000 to 1

compare the lyrics of take you on a cruise to thats not my name, its like comparing Scooter to Richard D. James or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

MGMT are good in fairness..playlists are the problem here

• Advertisement
Advertisement