Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start.?.

• 21-05-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting a bike... I plan to start off with a scooter for getting in and out of work and after a year or so move up.

I figure I've to go and do the Theory Test for the bike and get my provisional/learner permit.... I take it the full B licence only lets u use a moped(49cc)??

Anyways I was looking at something like this as a first bike

Questions I have..

Where's best to get lessons?? I based in North County Dublin..

Quinn Direct seem to do the best prices on insurance and I'm sure I can get something better as I've health, house and car insurance with them already but does anyone know how do u go about passing their Rider Assesments??

Where's best to get gear?? Clothing, helmet, protection etc...

Anything else I should look into/consider??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You'll need an A learner's permit, B license will have no impact.

As a first bike I'd stay away from that yoke -- more a personal preference but it looks like crap and is a bit of a bus on the road, but might suit your needs.

Might be better off getting an actual motorcycle, more nimble and better control.

Lots of places to get lessons, I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons -- www.motorbiketraining.net -- he's based in wicklow but will come to your place if needs be, did lessons and pretest with him, passed first time.

QD or any other insurance company apart from AON won't take other policies into account. I don't think QD will insure someone without any NCB, they didn't a while back, maybe this has changed.

Gear -- Helmet, jacket, pants, boots, Hi-Vis with L plate (new law for Learner Permits).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers... As for the bike, looks don't bother me... Once it works, is reliable and easy to use/safe it'll do me. I'd go for a bike but I can't afford it at the mo. A scooter will suit me perfectly for now....

As for my quinn direct policies, its usually easier to haggle on the price if you've other policies with them... Have done it with my car insurance. I got a quote off them already without any NCB..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

colm_c wrote: »
    As a first bike I'd stay away from that yoke -- more a personal preference but it looks like crap and is a bit of a bus on the road, but might suit your needs.

Might be better off getting an actual motorcycle, more nimble and better control.

Lots of places to get lessons, I'd highly recommend Dave Lyons -- www.motorbiketraining.net -- he's based in wicklow but will come to your place if needs be, did lessons and pretest with him, passed first time.

I'd agree- if you're thinking of moving up eventually, I'd get a bike. You'll have to make the transition to gears sooner or later. You'd get a bike for the same price as the scoot.
    But if you're happy with the scooter, fair enough.

Re training, I've heard very good things about Dave Lyons too. I'd also highly recommend Jeremy Tilley, have been out with him a few times, he has years of experience and a fleet of bikes if needed. They both belong to MRTG http://www.mrtg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dragon123

I can highly recommend Aaron Rider Training. Peter is brilliant, and if you give him a call he'll tell you exactly what you need. He also does the Aon test and Quinn Direct test to get you a discount on insurance.

www.aaronridertraining.com

or phone Peter on 086-1739654

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hey, sorry to hijack this thread. Was thinking of getting started with a motorbile myself just to get from a-b. I'd be travelling from Balbriggan to UCD each day. Any reccomendations? (Preferably a 125cc)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

pithater1 wrote: »
    Hey, sorry to hijack this thread. Was thinking of getting started with a motorbile myself just to get from a-b. I'd be travelling from Balbriggan to UCD each day. Any reccomendations? (Preferably a 125cc)

Thanks

Honda varadero: Big bike looks and real comfy.

Honda cbr125: Faster but you wont fit on it if near 6ft!

Honda NSR125: Real nippy!

Make sure you get insurance quotes on any bike before even looking at it, factor in the cost of buying a bit of gear too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

IMO, maybe you should re-analyze the assumptions you may be making already because the biking world is a whole lot different inside to outside.

Just cos it's an easy breezy little ol' scoot doesn't mean it's any more suitable for you than a more substancial bike. If you have an affinity with them, them fair enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't have one but they aren't really a bridge between cycling and and motorcycling if that's the impression you're under.

I started on a restricted 200kg 600 and I've done just fine so far (knock on wood).

Right, Theory test is booked for the 14/7...

Undecided as to who i'm gonna use for lessons, most likely one of the two posted above.

As for bike choice.... Leaning more towards getting a bike over a scooter. From what i've read, everyone suggests getting at least a 250cc bike to start off with as it'll last longer, as in I won't get bored of it so quick... What I'm leaning towards is a nice bike to start off with, then move up to a honda deauville in a year or so and then rob my dad goldwing when he ain't looking. Reason for the Honda in a year or so is that I need a decent amount of storage space as I plan to use the bike for work and will need to carry the odd laptop, small projector n tools etc in n out of the city... That and they seem to be a great all round bike.

So any suggestions for my first bike/scooter.?. Something to keep me going for a year and has some sort of storage space on it. BTW, i'm 6'3 so I'd like something that'll fit me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

unklerosco wrote: »

So any suggestions for my first bike/scooter.?. Something to keep me going for a year and has some sort of storage space on it. BTW, i'm 6'3 so I'd like something that'll fit me...

Restricted Bandit, SV, or CBF would be perfect.

Oh, and good luck with the theory test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Get a Bandit.......you know you want too..........:D
    And good luck with the test.........

• Advertisement

Right, theory test is done n passed... And by the skin of my teeth, deffo shouldn't have gone out last night, I thought the test was at 2 but it was at 11... 3hrs sleep didn't go down too well...

Anyways, Needs to get a helmet and of course... A bike. Been looking on here and on biker.ie but can't find anything. I'm on a bit of a budget at the mo... I can stretch to €1500. What would you recommend for that, also... Is there any other sites worth looking at.

As for the helmet, can anyone recommend anywhere?? I have a jacket, trousers n boots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I just started on a Honda bros. 400cc but learner legal. Costs about 1k-1500 to buy and 1100 fully comp insurance with Quinn.

How tall are you?? I always thought by the look of them they'd be too small for me, I'm 6'3"

A friend as offered me the use of his bike till I get the cash together to buy my own...

He's a Kawasakie ER500 '02

kawasakier500-big.jpg

Works out pretty handy, I offered to buy it off him(he hasn't used it in 2 years) but he wants to keep for when I get my own, reason he hasn't used it is that he's no one to use it with... He's a plumber by trade so uses a van 6 days a week. Would only get to use the bike on Sundays..

So thats one bit sorted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

unklerosco wrote: »
    How tall are you?? I always thought by the look of them they'd be too small for me, I'm 6'3"

The exact same.. sit on one too see. Grand starter bike. Ye could also try out a CB 400 but you'll have to get it restricted.

Well I got my first bike...

'02 Honda Varadero XL125

IMG_0116.JPG?imgmax=800

Only been out on it the once for a spin around the estate.

Did two days Training with Peter from Aaron Rider Training. I couldn't recommend him enough. The guy is fantastic. He's passionate about what he does.. More so than anyone else i've seen. Really drills everything into you. Was out on the road for 2 hours with him yesterday. Driving around the coast of Skerries, sun beating down, bit of off roading. You wouldn't get it anywhere else...

Its €700 for the two days which includes the use of his bikes and lunch in Ireland's oldest pub(well they've had a license since 1390). It may seem pricey but you get a cert at the end that'll get you a discount with AON or Quinn direct. I get just over €200 off the price of my insurance so after 3 years the discount near pays for the original layout. That and what you learn could save your life....

www.aaronridertraining.com/

Advertisement