Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question for the girls.

• 21-05-2008 10:23am

Where is your waist?

I'm trying to get fit, so I'm trying a programme.
    It tells me to record my waist as in line with my Belly button.
    Now this is not the narrowest part of my trunk, my clothes don't sit here and I don't really see how this aera can shrink because it is taking into account my hip bone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Stef1979

I always measure across my belly button as I read that on one of the fitness sites...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I measure the narrowest part of my torso, just below my ribcage, before my hips. My bellybutton is just below that, but my measurements would be much different if I actually measured there.

I've also read that you measure your hips around the fattest part of your ass, but that's not where my hips are at all! I measure them around the widest part of my hips.

I look at it as if I was taking measurements to make a dress. I don't want it gaping below my ribs and being too tight around my actual hips.

I'm taking Faiths tip!
    The belly button aera is never going to be 24" small! (not that rest is either except for possibly my thigh)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The belly button aera is never going to be 24" small! (not that rest is either except for possibly my thigh)

Exactly. Hipbones won't be 24 inches! We speak of "cinching in waists"; well, you can't cinch in bone. It makes sense that it's the narrowest, squashiest bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

At the belly button for guys and just above for girls according to this site:
    http://www.linear-software.com/femalesites.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hip to Waist ratio is considered a good estimate for body composition, better than BMI in a lot of cases.

In hip to waist ratios they say what makes sense to me, the waist is at its narrowest point, hips at their largest.

I am a guy and wear 32" jeans/trousers, but my waist is 33" at my belt point. 32" at the narrowest, just above the navel.

Just make sure you are consistent about where you take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I measure waist at narrowest part, hips at widest. Ideally, waist should be half your height or less, and the waist to hip ratio should be 0.75:1. Less is fine, but if it's 0.8 : 1 or higher, you have a problem.

Advertisement