Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should i bring new car back to dealer for service?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

Got a New Mondeo and it will need a service at 20,000KM (thats what they tell me anyway!!!)

Should i get it done, the first service at least at an official ford dealer and then go to local independent for all subsequent services?

Does it really matter? Would the official ford dealer have to do any computer re tuning etc that the local dealer could not do?

Also what would the general cost be for an official dealer service?

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

IMO you would be better off going back to the Dealer for its first service as there could be updates available for the car which an independent won't have. Also you need to be wary of your warranty and keeping it valid. While you may not "have" to have it done by a dealer you most likely have to use ford approved parts or genuine parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

+1

Maintain a main dealer service history at least until your car goes out of warranty.

Call the dealer for estimated service costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Always get mine serviced by Ford main dealer, it seems to average out at around 200 for basic service. I've tried several dealers in addition to the one I bought the car from. To be honest there is a variety in the quality of the sevice you receive - some dealers have very knowledgeable service managers and mechanics, and are willing to discuss technical details if you wish. Some are outright chancers and I won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I always bring the car back to the dealer, for the first service anyway.
    It's also an opportunity to check if there's any warranty work that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Having just spent all that money on a NEW car you are much better spending the money on an official car dealer service as others have said anything that breaks on it will be replaced under warranty.

If you don't want a good return on your investment go to a back street garage and don't get the stamps on your log book for the FSH which all buyers love to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Having just spent all that money on a NEW car you are much better spending the money on an official car dealer service as others have said anything that breaks on it will be replaced under warranty.

If you don't want a good return on your investment go to a back street garage and don't get the stamps on your log book for the FSH which all buyers love to see.

+1 +1 Anyway, isn't the first service free as part of the deal? It always used to be or have they changed that? After that you can go to where you like, but bazz is right. Get the SHB stamped by a reputable motor outfit even if they're not a main dealer. Anything else with a new car is false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I dunno i am finished with main dealers service. Check what the story is for warrenty if you go to the back street dealers who now may have the equipment for reading onboard computers. I needed my t belt done Volvo S60 and a full service. The quote was for 580 for t-belt alone. I got the lot done plus 2 brake pads & a small dent taken out for 400euro in the north from a local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd get it done by the dealer while the car is inside warranty.

Advertisement