Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax implications for Liquidated Company

• 21-05-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm doing an essay question on voluntary liquidation and it asks whether a liquidated company could be pursued by the Revenue for tax unpaid prior to its liquidation. I've checked the Companies Act and I can't see anything relating to tax liabilities other than capital tax to be paid on monies received by shareholders etc. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

The Revenue Commissioners are Preferential Creditors on the order of priorities for the repayment of debts by a liquidator. Outstanding PRSI falls into the same category. They are repaid after the liquidator's fees and fixed charger holders, but before everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

johnfás wrote: »
    The Revenue Commissioners are Preferential Creditors on the order of priorities for the repayment of debts by a liquidator. Outstanding PRSI falls into the same category. They are repaid after the liquidator's fees and fixed charger holders, but before everyone else.

If the liquidation fails to produce all the funds required to pay revenue, could reveune go after the directors ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

If the liquidation fails to produce all the funds required to pay revenue, could reveune go after the directors ???

Not so long as the directors were not trading fraudulently. Re Kellys Carpetdrome Ltd to the best of my knowledge demonstrates success in recovering monies -using the fraudulent trading provisions of the Companies Acts- deliberately moved etc. out of the company prior to liquidation where revenue debts were already outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Rhonda9000 wrote: »
    Not so long as the directors were not trading fraudulently. Re Kellys Carpetdrome Ltd to the best of my knowledge demonstrates success in recovering monies -using the fraudulent trading provisions of the Companies Acts- deliberately moved etc. out of the company prior to liquidation where revenue debts were already outstanding.

Yea, in which case the directors may be personally liable. It is a rare thing to prove mind you.

Advertisement